Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

That was kind of an easy one for you, Princess.  Steve appeared on Broadway in "What Makes Sammy Run?".  Eydie's big hit record was "Blame It On The Bossa Nova".  Eydie passed away in 2013, but Steve is still with us.

Eydie grew up in an apartment building up the street from me. She attended my high school, as did Stanley Kubrick,  long before I did: they were both born in 1928, within days of each other. I wonder if they were classmates.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Next:

This couple led interesting, if not somewhat opposite, lifestyles apart, which led to their subsequent divorce after more than 25 years of marriage.

She was a beautiful 40s movie star who co-starred with top talent like Burt Lancaster, George Sanders and Charles Laughton.

He was a daredevil US Air Force fighter pilot, who earned the title of "Triple Ace", having seen action in two wars.

The couple had several children.

When you identify this unusual couple, don't forget to mention one of her films and one of the many medals and service decorations that he earned from the USA or from one of our Allies overseas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Next:

This couple led interesting, if not somewhat opposite, lifestyles apart, which led to their subsequent divorce after more than 25 years of marriage.

She was a beautiful 40s movie star who co-starred with top talent like Burt Lancaster, George Sanders and Charles Laughton.

He was a daredevil US Air Force fighter pilot, who earned the title of "Triple Ace", having seen action in two wars.

The couple had several children.

When you identify this unusual couple, don't forget to mention one of her films and one of the many medals and service decorations that he earned from the USA or from one of our Allies overseas.

Ella Raines and Robin Olds ?

Ella co-starred with Burt in Brute Force, with George Sanders in The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry and Laughton in The Suspect.  She also co-starred in Impact with Brian Dunlevy and Ella was  one of the brave gals in Cry Havoc. Ella Raines was only 67 when she passed.

Among the many medals Robin Olds was awarded were the Air Force  Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal from the UK.  He fought in WW2 and Vietnam ????????

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Ella Raines and Robin Olds ?

Ella co-starred with Burt in Brute Force, with George Sanders in The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry and Laughton in The Suspect.  She also co-starred in Impact with Brian Dunlevy and Ella was  one of the brave gals in Cry Havoc. Ella Raines was only 67 when she passed.

Among the many medals Robin Olds was awarded were the Air Force  Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal from the UK.  He fought in WW2 and Vietnam ????????

Lav, I should have known, as a great Burt Lancaster fan, that you would be interested in this actress.

She seems to have fallen through the cracks among the 40s Stars.

And her husband was such a outstanding fighter pilot that they were obviously a most impressive couple.

Lav-- And that was a fast and thorough answer.

It's all yours.....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ella Raines had beautiful eyes.  I would call them steel blue, almost grey.  Much like later actress Meg Foster. 

Amazon.com: Ella Raines in Formal Outfit Portrait Photo Print (24 x 30):  Home & Kitchen   Ella Raines absolutely stunning vintage studio glamour pose 24x36 Poster at  Amazon's Entertainment Collectibles Store

Here is a 1949 article about her. 

Ella Raines Films: The Eyes of Ella Raines 

 

It's still Lavender's turn. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Princess and Thanks  Miles., interesting info.

next

She was a 2 time Oscar winner. Her career lasted almost 60 years. She ws married quite a few times. 

He was an actor, nominated for an Oscar. His career lasted a little over 40 years. He was about 8 years younger than the wife this question is about and was also married quite a few times.

Both acted on Broadway and TV besides their film careers. Their marraige ended in divorce. Although he was well known, she was better known to most.

Actor and Actress and name films they were both known for ???????

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's Shelley Winters and Anthony Franciosa.  She was known for "The Diary Of Anne Frank" and "A Patch Of Blue" for which she was a Best Supporting Actress Oscar winner.  Other memorable films include "A Place In The Sun", "Winchester 73", "The Night Of The Hunter", "Alfie", and "The Poseidon Adventure". 

He was Oscar nominated for "A Hatful Of Rain".   He was also in "A Face In The Crowd", "The Long Hot Summer", "Rio Conchos", and the TV series "The Name Of The Game". 

 Anthony Franciosa and Shelly Winters | Actors, Shelley winters, Hollywood  star

 

 

image.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

All correct Miles, Shelley Winters and Anthony Franciosa. He was 8 years younger than Shelley. Both had 4 marriages.  Shelley Winters donated her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for Diary of Anne Frank to the Anne Frank Musuem. Both Shelley and Anthony were liberal Democrats, involved in Civil Rights issues. Shelley won her other Best Suppotring Actress Oscar for A Patch of Blue. She said she hated the role, playing a racist and was speechless when she accepted the Oscar. The day Shelley Winters had her heart attack Tony  Franciosa had a stroke. He died 5 days after Shelley passed.

Good work Miles, your thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Lav.  These next two may be a bit more obscure, but if you watch TCM regularly, you may know them.  

She was an actress who specialized in "B" pictures, first at Universal and later at RKO.  When she want to RKO she changed her professional last name to her husband's last name which was fortunate because there was another star at another studio with a similar sounding name.  At RKO she did a few pictures for producer Val Lewton and she appeared in several movies in the "Falcon" series.  She and her husband were only married for three years and by the late 1940's  her movie career was over.

He was just starting out as a screenwriter in the early forties, but eventually he became a top director as well,  He often wrote the screenplays for movies that he directed.  He worked several times with Humphrey Bogart and several times with Burt Lancaster.  He was Oscar nominated several times as both a writer and as a director, winning once for best screenplay.  His career lasted into the 1980's.

Do you know this couple?

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL watched Eddie last night, In his intros and outros about The Seventh Victim he talked about Jean Brooks. She was born Ruby Kelly, changed her name to Jean Kelly, then changed it again to Jean Brooks. She appreared in many of the Falcon films and Val Lewton films. She was married to director Richard Brooks. He won his Oscar as screenwriter for one of my favorite films, Elmer Gantry.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

Didn't Richard Brooks also direct Looking for Mr. Goodbar (I think it is the first time I saw Tom Berenger and Richard Gere has a small role).  I read the book and thought Diane Keaton was great (so not Annie Hall).  

Yes Richard Brooks wrote the screenplay and directed Looking for Mr. Goodbar.  He wrote and directed so many other great films though. I also read Looking For Mr. Goodbar and saw the film. At the time I was a single 20 something living on my own in NYC and the book and film scared the beegeebees out of me LOL

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

LOL watched Eddie last night, In his intros and outros about The Seventh Victim he talked about Jean Brooks. She was born Ruby Kelly, changed her name to Jean Kelly, then changed it again to Jean Brooks. She appreared in many of the Falcon films and Val Lewton films. She was married to director Richard Brooks. He won his Oscar as screenwriter for one of my favorite films, Elmer Gantry.

Reposting  my answer to your question Miles.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are correct, of course, Lavender.  "The Seventh Victim" was shown on Saturday night and again on Sunday morning.  If Jean Brooks had kept the name Jean Kelly there may have been some confusion among moviegoers for a while.  Tom Conway was also in "The Seventh Victim" as well as a bunch of "The Falcon" movies.   Jean Brooks was in eight movies with him.  Comedian Tim Conway was originally named Tom Conway, but changed to Tim to avoid confusion.  Hugh Beaumont was also in "The Seventh Victim" playing Mr. Ward.  His first name on "Leave It To Beaver" was also Ward.

It's nice to know that we often watch the same movies, Lavender.  It's your turn next.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Miles :)

This is a two'fer

 He was an actor and tv and movie writer and producer. He produced 2 films that one of his wives starred in the 1940's.  In the 50's-60's he produced tv shows. One in the 1960's is iconic. 

She was an Oscar winner and an Oscar nominee for another film, both directed by the same man. The 2 films were not the films that her future husband produced. She had an almost 60 year career.

She was a supporting actress in a series of popular films in the 30's and 40's and had a role in a legendary Oscar winning film. Her career lasted 40+ years.

Who was the husband and his 2 actress wives  and the iconic tv show he was involved with in the 1960's and give some examples of the famous films his 2 wives were in ?????????

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Swithin said:

William Dozier (Batman), Joan Fontaine, Ann Rutherford

 

All correct Swithin., William Dozier executive produced Batman, he also narrated the show and it was his voice we heard saying Same Bat-Time, same Bat Channel. He was married to Joan Fontaine after divorcing his first wife. Joan and Dozier were married from, 1946 to 1951. They formed a production company together.  Joan starred in Letter From an Unknown Woman and You Gotta Be Happy with James Stewar, both films for their production company. they had 1 daughter together., From 1953 until Dozier's death in 1991 he and Ann Rutherford were married.

I figured the Pop Art clue would work for Batman. Good thinking Swithin and it's your thread :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

All correct Swithin., William Dozier executive produced Batman, he also narrated the show and it was his voice we heard saying Same Bat-Time, same Bat Channel. He was married to Joan Fontaine after divorcing his first wife. Joan and Dozier were married from, 1946 to 1951. They formed a production company together.  Joan starred in Letter From an Unknown Woman and You Gotta Be Happy with James Stewar, both films for their production company. they had 1 daughter together., From 1953 until Dozier's death in 1991 he and Ann Rutherford were married.

I figured the Pop Art clue would work for Batman. Good thinking Swithin and it's your thread :)

 

Thanks Lavender. It was a hard one, but fun to figure out. At first I was thinking of Celeste Holm and Ralph Nelson, but I couldn't make that fit your clues. I'll be back soon with the next set of clues.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...