Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Professional tap dancer was married to a professional ballerina-- he worked professionally as a tap dancer in the movies and on Broadway and she danced ballet professionally in a ballet company and on Broadway.

We apparently don't know tap dancers like you do.

Yes, Paul was the original ballet- tap dancer who danced to Scarlatti and Mozart; his wife Heidi was in Balanchine's first American Ballet Company.

Fra-- apparently you know a lot about tap dancers. Well done. Your turn--

I know nothing about tap dancers, but occasionally, I'll look something up.

I know nothing about tap dancers, but occasionally, I'll look something up.

He was a very famous singer and actor

She was a minor actress whose best-known film was one of her last. It was a much-lauded drama in which she played a small supporting role.

You threw me off by comparing Bing Crosby to a five-hundred-pound gorilla.

And I wasn't aware that Kathryn Grant made any movie that was and memorable until I looked it up-- Anatomy of a Murder.

She played the daughter of the unseen rapist Barney Quill and the manager of the inn. Your turn.

The wife is from a well-known theatrical family in England.

The husband started acting on radio.

Both were successful in the Golden Age movies, but neither became truly big movie stars.

Later, like so many others, they moved on to do a lot of work in television.

Ida Lupino and Howard Duff

This Brit's directorial debut is a film that might have been confused with a vehicle for Mame Dennis and Vera Charles.  He later worked with his wife, often in London; occasionally in Hollywood. In one of their Hollywood collaborations, she sang a song inspired by a dress of a daughter of a former U.S. President.

They were a British power couple in the industry.

This Brit's directorial debut is a film that might have been confused with a vehicle for Mame Dennis and Vera Charles. He later worked with his wife, often in London; occasionally in Hollywood. In one of their Hollywood collaborations, she sang a song inspired by a dress of a daughter of a former U.S. President.

They were a British power couple in the industry.

Swith-- British performers and all dancers are my specialties. However,I draw the line at British Stars who never came to Hollywood or never really made it in Hollywood.

The one British musical comedy star that I wished had come to Hollywood was the beautiful dancer Jessie Matthews.

However, the other Great British musical comedy star did come to Hollywood, Anna Neagle-- I believe I recently saw her in Irene on TCM and that's the movie where she performs Alice Blue Gown, a song about Teddy Roosevelt's daughter's dress.

Anna didn't quite click with the American audiences - - she made some so-so movies, maybe she didn't have the right build up or the right vehicles.

She married her mentor and producer Herbert Wilcox.

Swith--this is a good question and maybe you can tell us why you think she never became a big Hollywood star?

On this website, you are certainly the authority for British performing artists, and we're very lucky to have you.

Swith-- British performers and all dancers are my specialties. However,I draw the line at British Stars who never came to Hollywood or never really made it in Hollywood.

The one British musical comedy star that I wished had come to Hollywood was the beautiful dancer Jessie Matthews.

However, the other Great British musical comedy star did come to Hollywood, Anna Neagle-- I believe I recently saw her in Irene on TCM and that's the movie where she performs Alice Blue Gown, a song about Teddy Roosevelt's daughter's dress.

Anna didn't quite click with the American audiences - - she made some so-so movies, maybe she didn't have the right build up or the right vehicles.

She married her mentor and producer Herbert Wilcox.

Swith--this is a good question and maybe you can tell us why you think she never became a big Hollywood star?

On this website, you are certainly the authority for British performing artists, and we're very lucky to have you.

Great post -- we are lucky to have you too!  I'll try to think of an answer to your question. They probably were more at home in London, and like many others, wanted to go home during the war -- and they stayed. Maybe it had more to do with Wilcox having more freedom as a director in the UK than he could ever have in Hollywood.

Btw, here's a real bit of trivia: Anna Neagle's great-nephew is Nicholas Hoult:

icon_xl.png

Your thread.

• Like 1

Great post -- we are lucky to have you too!  I'll try to think of an answer to your question. They probably were more at home in London, and like many others, wanted to go home during the war -- and they stayed. Maybe it had more to do with Wilcox having more freedom as a director in the UK than he could ever have in Hollywood.

Btw, here's a real bit of trivia: Anna Neagle's great-nephew is Nicholas Hoult:

icon_xl.png

Your thread.

Princess?