Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On 10/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks, I meant Belle Watley. 

next

She was a beautiful actress not born in the USA. She was a Broadway, film and tv actress. She had the leading role in a famous Broadway musical, although was not cast in the film version. In another film production of another Broadway  musical,she played a daughter. She was also known for her work on tv. 

He was a handsome actor appearing in films but known for his tv work mostly. He starred in some tv shows. He was also a director and screenwriter.

Couple, Wife's Broadway show and at least 1 more film she was in and some of the tv shows she appeared on. TV shows husband was known for ????????? Extra credit for the 2 1960's romantic comedies he was in 

This is the original question. The past clues are on the previous page to be considerate I'll repost them on this page.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:59 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Husband's career lasted over 65 years. He's best known for his tv roles. Although he appeared in many western tv shows and starred in one that's shown in re-run he is best known for his starring role on a tv show that was a non-western in the 1960's.

This is the next clue

On 10/8/2021 at 7:45 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Husband co-starred in 2 famous 1960's romantic, film comedies. Interesting, since both films had 4 lead characters. Both films have been shown on TCM, especially one of those films has been shown on TCM quite often.

this was the next clue

On 10/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

The first fillm the wife appeared in was the film version of a very famous, successful long running musical on Broadway. She played the daughter to one of the characters who had an important supporting role. The actress who played the wife's ( the question is about) mother was in the hit show and the movie. The actress who played her mother had an interesting character name.

this was the next clue

3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

This husband and wife couple met while she guest starred in his 1960's hit tv series. She appeared in 4 episodes. The clues are there, please read all of them. 

this was the most recent clue

I guess it helps to reread all the clues because I misread one the first time.  I believe it's Robert Culp and France Nuyen.  She played Liat in the movie version of "South Pacific".  Liat was the daughter of Bloody Mary.  France starred on Broadway in "The World Of Susie Wong", but the movie role went to Nancy Kwan.  She also appeared in "The Joy Luck Club".  France and Robert met when she appeared on his TV series "I Spy".  He had previously starred in a western series called "Trackdown".   The romantic comedies he appeared in included "Sunday In New York" and "Bob And Carol And Ted And Alice". 

34 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

I guess it helps to reread all the clues because I misread one the first time.  I believe it's Robert Culp and France Nuyen.  She played Liat in the movie version of "South Pacific".  Liat was the daughter of Bloody Mary.  France starred on Broadway in "The World Of Susie Wong", but the movie role went to Nancy Kwan.  She also appeared in "The Joy Luck Club".  France and Robert met when she appeared on his TV series "I Spy".  He had previously starred in a western series called "Trackdown".   The romantic comedies he appeared in included "Sunday In New York" and "Bob And Carol And Ted And Alice". 

Yes Robert Culp and France Nuyen.  Thanks for reading the clues, I think you were the only one to do so and bother to put the work in. 

Your thread and good job and Thanks.

43 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Yes Robert Culp and France Nuyen.  Thanks for reading the clues, I think you were the only one to do so and bother to put the work in. 

I thought of them, but 

1. Didn't want to reply so soon;

and more importantly,

2. Something put me off that guess, thinking it would be wrong!

Back to you Miles.

48 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Oh, I know what confused me. I couldn't figure out what leading role in a Broadway musical France Nuyen played. Her only credit on IBDB is The World of Suzie Wong.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swithin said:

Oh, I know what confused me. I couldn't figure out what leading role in a Broadway musical France Nuyen played. Her only credit on IBDB is The World of Suzie Wong.

She starred in the Broadway play The World of Suzie Wong, that doesn't count to you? What didn't you understand ? Since when wasn't The World of Suzie Wong a Broadway play? Sorry but I don't get what you are confused about and if you read all the clues anyway you should have been able to get Robert Culp. Besides, why didn't you at least try a guess. What's the worst that could have happened if your guess was wrong. At least I would have seen that you were trying and my effort of thinking up 6 clues wasn't wasted.

Now Miles, back to you and again, thanks for reading the clues and putting some effort into the question.

7 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

She starred in the Broadway play The World of Suzie Wong, that doesn't count to you? What didn't you understand ? Since when wasn't The World of Suzie Wong a Broadway play? Sorry but I don't get what you are confused about and if you read all the clues anyway you should have been able to get Robert Culp. Besides, why didn't you at least try a guess. What's the worst that could have happened if your guess was wrong. At least I would have seen that you were trying and my effort of thinking up 6 clues wasn't wasted.

Now Miles, back to you and again, thanks for reading the clues and putting some effort into the question.

Sorry, this was the line that confused me, from your original clue: 

" She had the leading role in a famous Broadway musical, although was not cast in the film version. "

The World of Suzie Wong was not a musical. (Btw, William Shatner, who is about to go into space, played the male lead in the play.)

Back to you Miles.

• Thanks 1

I'm sorry to take so long to post the next couple.  I've been trying to think of a famous couple that we haven't had yet, but I'm not about to look through more than seventy pages to check, so if this couple has been featured here previously, I apologize. 

He was a Hollywood producer, starting out in the publicity department of a studio and eventually getting into the production end of the business.  He worked his way up and eventually became the head producer at the studio, responsible for some of the best known Hollywood pictures of the thirties and forties.  He had a bit of a falling out with the studio head and left to become an independent producer.  Within a few years he landed at Paramount and later at Universal.  He was responsible for many popular movies featuring the likes of Martin and Lewis, and Elvis Presley.   Near the end of his career, he produced a few John Wayne movies.

His first wife had been a silent screen comedienne working with Mack Sennett, Fatty Arbuckle, and many movie comics of the day.  With the advent of sound pictures approaching, she turned to dramatic roles.  Never a leading lady, most of her roles were in supporting parts.   In sound movies, some of which were produced by her husband,  she played an assortment of society women and what we used to call "dowagers".   Although there was one rather rocky time in their marriage, they remained together for many years, until her death in the 1960's..

A few years later, he would remarry.  This second wife was a beautiful actress who was more than twenty years younger than he was.  She had started in  movies in the late-1940's and spent her early years in "B" pictures, many of which were westerns.  In the early to mid-1950's through the sixties, she was cast in quite a few "A" pictures, usually playing the second female lead, or "the other woman".  In movies, she played the romantic interest for actors like William Holden, Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, and David Niven.  Around the time that she married her producer husband, she was in a drama with Marlon Brando, a western with Clint Walker, and a TV episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies".  

Can you name this producer and his two actress wives?

Miles, I know the answer but I'll excuse myself from this one unless it goes unsolved although I'm sure this will be easily solved.  I'll repost your question so there's no interruption

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I'm sorry to take so long to post the next couple.  I've been trying to think of a famous couple that we haven't had yet, but I'm not about to look through more than seventy pages to check, so if this couple has been featured here previously, I apologize. 

He was a Hollywood producer, starting out in the publicity department of a studio and eventually getting into the production end of the business.  He worked his way up and eventually became the head producer at the studio, responsible for some of the best known Hollywood pictures of the thirties and forties.  He had a bit of a falling out with the studio head and left to become an independent producer.  Within a few years he landed at Paramount and later at Universal.  He was responsible for many popular movies featuring the likes of Martin and Lewis, and Elvis Presley.   Near the end of his career, he produced a few John Wayne movies.

His first wife had been a silent screen comedienne working with Mack Sennett, Fatty Arbuckle, and many movie comics of the day.  With the advent of sound pictures approaching, she turned to dramatic roles.  Never a leading lady, most of her roles were in supporting parts.   In sound movies, some of which were produced by her husband,  she played an assortment of society women and what we used to call "dowagers".   Although there was one rather rocky time in their marriage, they remained together for many years, until her death in the 1960's..

A few years later, he would remarry.  This second wife was a beautiful actress who was more than twenty years younger than he was.  She had started in  movies in the late-1940's and spent her early years in "B" pictures, many of which were westerns.  In the early to mid-1950's through the sixties, she was cast in quite a few "A" pictures, usually playing the second female lead, or "the other woman".  In movies, she played the romantic interest for actors like William Holden, Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, and David Niven.  Around the time that she married her producer husband, she was in a drama with Marlon Brando, a western with Clint Walker, and a TV episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies".  

On 10/18/2021 at 6:16 PM, MilesArcher said:

No takers so far,  found this on page 3

Hal B Wallis was the husband. Louise Fazenda his 1st wife, Martha Hyer his 2nd wife.

You are correct, Lavender.  In the late 1930's, while married to Louise Fazenda, Hal Wallis had an affair with actress Lola Lane.  When Louise found out about it, she threatened to ruin him financially unless he ended it, which he did.   Studio insiders then referred to him as "The Prisoner Of Fazenda".   They remained married until her death in 1962.  He married Martha Hyer in 1966.  She was more than twenty-five years younger than he was.  Here are Hal, Louise, and Martha.

HalWallis.jpg     Image result for louise fazenda  wikipedia      Image result for martha hyer   wikipedia      

Nice work, Lavender.  You're up next. 

• 3 weeks later...

Husband and wife met while working on a play which later became a film.  Husband was of monumental importance in the theater and film world, winning one Oscar for his work on a film that also won a Best Picture Oscar. Wife was nominated for an Oscar, as was her second husband, who was nominated for a film that won a Best Picture Oscar. Name husband and wife, wife's second husband, and the films referred to.

Today's hint: Wife's Oscar nomination was for playing the mother in a film adaptation of an English novel. 

The year Wife was nominated, another film, with which Husband had an important connection, received a nomination for Best Actor for a very great and famous English actor. 

But both of the Oscars referred to were won by American actors from another movie.

On 11/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, Swithin said:

Today's hint: Wife's Oscar nomination was for playing the mother in a film adaptation of an English novel. 

The year Wife was nominated, another film, with which Husband had an important connection, received a nomination for Best Actor for a very great and famous English actor. 

But both of the Oscars referred to were won by American actors from another movie.

Swith, do you have any specific clues?

7 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Swith, do you have any specific clues?

Sorry, I thought I had given such obvious clues, practically given the answers away. Let's go over a couple them:

1. Wife was an actress, once nominated for an Oscar; 

2. Husband was not an actor but won an Oscar in another category. I posted a picture of a "kitchen sink," and also said the husband was "angry," and said Husband was "of monumental importance in the theater...."  (So what do you think Husband's profession was? What is the most important profession in the theater?)

3. In the "Double Feature" game in the "Games" thread, Peebs mentioned the film that Wife was nominated for. I responded, posting two more films with Wife, including the one that she worked on with Husband.

4. Husband's most famous work, which basically helped change British theater, was directed by another Oscar winner, who also directed the movie that husband won an Oscar for (and won an Oscar for it).  The film that Husband won an Oscar for also won the Oscar for Best Picture.

On 11/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, Swithin said:

Sorry, I thought I had given such obvious clues, practically given the answers away. Let's go over a couple them:

1. Wife was an actress, once nominated for an Oscar; 

2. Husband was not an actor but won an Oscar in another category. I posted a picture of a "kitchen sink," and also said the husband was "angry," and said Husband was "of monumental importance in the theater...."  (So what do you think Husband's profession was? What is the most important profession in the theater?)

3. In the "Double Feature" game in the "Games" thread, Peebs mentioned the film that Wife was nominated for. I responded, posting two more films with Wife, including the one that she worked on with Husband.

4. Husband's most famous work, which basically helped change British theater, was directed by another Oscar winner, who also directed the movie that husband won an Oscar for (and won an Oscar for it).  The film that Husband won an Oscar for also won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Today's hint: Husband's surname is the same as someone near and dear to TCM fans.