Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TomJH

Jean Renoir's SWAMP WATER, This Tuesday, 10:30pm (EST)

Like the host said the movie wasn't well received by critics at the time it was released and it faired poorly at the box office.   This was a TCM premier so TCM viewers hadn't seen it on TCM before.    

So clearly this isn't a well known film to the 'classic' movie viewing public.    For something to be overrated it first has to be highly rated by a majority.

I.remember seeing box.office.reports showing it was a solid hit when released. It actually MADE the career.of Anne Baxter, who until then had not gotten any decent roles. I thi.k she may have been selected.for THE MAGNIFICENT.AMBERSONS on the basis of her performance.here.

It plays regularly on FXM Retro, and has a decent.enough reputation, whether it is seen on TCM or not.

I.remember seeing box.office.reports showing it was a solid hit when released. It actually MADE the career.of Anne Baxter, who until then had not gotten any decent roles. I thi.k she may have been selected.for THE MAGNIFICENT.AMBERSONS on the basis of her performance.here.

It plays regularly on FXM Retro, and has a decent.enough reputation, whether it is seen on TCM or not.

Interesting;    The host,  Feinstein,  said the critics panned Baxter's performance.    I was fine with it but than I'm a big fan of Baxter.

Anyhow,  are you saying this is a well known film to studio-era movie fans?    Guess there isn't a way to know one way or the other but clearly this isn't a highly regarded (rated) film like Gone With The Wind or Casablanca (the type of films I would use the overrated label for).

But I should have limited my comments to users at this forum;   many here,  like me,  had never seen it before.

It's a movie well known by those who know it.  Only those those are not so many.  I've never heard, watched, or read it discussed with other of Renoir's movies.  And it's existence came as a total surprise to me when I saw it listed--all the more remarkable for my admiration for him, and familiarity with his works.  I hope it's airing on TCM will increase it's profile, and lead to a wider awareness and appreciation of it.  While it's not one of Renoir's great films, it's certainly a very good one, with fine performances.  And though it may have been panned by critics (and what do they know, anyway?), that doesn't mean a movie can't be a success financially, or for the actors.  

• Like 3

My first time seeing this - I enjoyed the young cast, especially Dana Andrews, who got to use his "Southern accent". Even Walter Huston and Walter Brennan looked young in this.

Reminded me of The Southerner, also directed by Jean Renoir.  The Southerner is a favorite of mine - Zachary Scott is hard to recognize as the lead in such a different role than the stuff that (I assume) he got stuck with playing later.

This photo is from the set of Swamp Water.  Anne Baxter did a good job at looking unkempt - lots of actresses might not have cooperated as well with that aspect

18SUBJPKEHR-jumbo.jpg

Hmm after watching this one I can't say I care for this film all that much. I'm having trouble feeling engaged.

That being said this is definitely one of my favorite performances of Dana Andrews. It's worth seeing for the fact that he is so very different from any other role I've seen him in.

I also liked the father/son relationship between Huston & Andrews but there wasn't really enough of that aspect for me.

I also liked the father/son relationship between Huston & Andrews but there wasn't really enough of that aspect for me.

There was also the relationship between Huston and his second wife,  the step-mother of Andrews and why she felt the 'need' to flirt with that other man.   That wasn't explored either but it was later tied to the main plot (and why does a guitar player have to be such a tool, ha ha!).   

According to the TCM Host the film was edited by the 'suits' and runs 88 minutes.   So maybe these sub-plot themes were more fully explored but cut out from the final product?

• Like 1

According to the TCM Host the film was edited by the 'suits' and runs 88 minutes.   So maybe these sub-plot themes were more fully explored but cut out from the final product?

Only the wastebasket knows.  Maybe there's a script somewhere that would have the cut material.

There was also the relationship between Huston and his second wife,  the step-mother of Andrews and why she felt the 'need' to flirt with that other man.   That wasn't explored either but it was later tied to the main plot (and why does a guitar player have to be such a tool, ha ha!).   

Hmmm...I never got the impression that Hannah(Mary Howard) was "flirting" with Jesse Wick(John Carradine), James. What I got instead was the impression that she just didn't know how to "gracefully reject" his advancements, and that she hoped she could remain friends with him up until he got physically aggressive with her.

Hmmm...I never got the impression that Hannah(Mary Howard) was "flirting" with Jesse Wick(John Carradine), James. What I got instead was the impression that she just didn't know how to "gracefully reject" his advancements, and that she hoped she could remain friends with him up until he got physically aggressive with her.

Well if she wasn't flirting than she was an idiot,  as in:   oh,  I didn't know he was interested in me,  I felt he just wanted to hang around, play his guitar, and serene me,,,,,  all because he was just lonely!  

Come on Dargo,  you don't believe women well they tell you this lie,  do you?    :P

Well if she wasn't flirting than she was an idiot,  as in:   oh,  I didn't know he was interested in me,  I felt he just wanted to hang around, play his guitar, and serene me,,,,,  all because he was just lonely!  

Come on Dargo,  you don't believe women well they tell you this lie,  do you?    :P

Well, gotta admit after watchin' Meg Ryan do that thing she did in that diner opposite Billy Crystal that one time, I wasn't sure WHAT to believe anymore about women after THAT, James!!!

(...and so, maybe ya gotta point there, kid!) 

;)

Finally got around to watching it. Enjoyed it, but wasnt what I expected. (Didnt know the plot and from the title expected some sort of southern gothic tale). I never thought of Dana Andrews as handsome but I found him VERY handsome in this. Zanuck seemed to overdo the cutting as usual. How Huston and his wife become lovey/dovey at the end is never explained..........