Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dracula In Pictures

LawrenceA

Max Schreck as Graf Orlock in Nosferatu (1922), an unauthorized version of Dracula.

XVM08e62f8e-2ac9-11e5-8e49-6dc21babd670.

Bela Lugosi in Dracula (1931), perhaps the most famous screen Dracula

1412717999071.jpeg

Carlos Villarias in the Spanish-language Dracula (1931) filmed simultaneously with the Lugosi version.

5402338_orig.jpg

Francis Lederer in The Return of Dracula (1958)

affiche-the-return-of-dracula-1073.jpg

Christopher Lee as Hammer's Dracula, beginning with Horror of Dracula (1958)

horror-of-dracula-3.jpg

John Forbes-Robertson in The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)

Draculaandthe7GoldenVampires+1974-33-b.j

I was, but it'll get mixed up some the further I go, and there are more obscure titles I find.

Okay...yeah, I was looking to see if you had posted David Niven as Count Dracula in VAMPIRA (sometimes called OLD DRACULA). But wasn't sure if you had gotten to the 1970s yet.

John Carradine returns in Billy the Kid vs Dracula (1966)

john-carradine.jpg

Denholm Elliott in the UK TV series adaptation from Mystery and Imagination (1968)

dracula+68+6_I+am+dracula.jpg

Alex D'Arcy (left) as the Count in Blood of Dracula's Castle (1969)

2428669,WFVu0czUBHBNZvX1DBchUecFSX56M2p6

Ilja Racek from the Czechoslovakian TV version, Hrabe Drakula (1971)

Hrabe%2BDrakula_drakula.jpg

Charles Macauley as the briefly seen Dracula in Blacula (1973)

blacula0041.jpg

Jack Palance in Dan Curtis' TV movie Bram Stoker's Dracula (1973)

dracula_6.jpg

Okay...yeah, I was looking to see if you had posted David Niven as Count Dracula in VAMPIRA (sometimes called OLD DRACULA). But wasn't sure if you had gotten to the 1970s yet.

David Niven as Dracula? I've never seen that one! I guess I just have this image in my mind of him as the bishop in The Bishop's Wife (1947), but I cannot picture him as Dracula. I would love to see that one.

I think my favorite Dracula will always be Bela Lugosi. :) He is the reason actors use an accent while playing Dracula; in the novel, Dracula speaks perfect English, but Lugosi was Hungarian and had a distinctive accent. The character of Dracula became known as having that accent, and in movies today, the Dracula actors still use it, though many do not know how it started.

David Niven as Dracula? I've never seen that one! I guess I just have this image in my mind of him as the bishop in The Bishop's Wife (1947), but I cannot picture him as Dracula. I would love to see that one.

If I'm not mistaken, TCM aired it a few years ago when David Niven was Star of the Month. At this stage of his career, in the 1970s, he was making films at Disney-- wholesome family comedies, where he usually played a refined English gentleman (CANDLESHOE, for example). So his turn as Dracula was certainly against type.

If I'm not mistaken, TCM aired it a few years ago when David Niven was Star of the Month. At this stage of his career, in the 1970s, he was making films at Disney-- wholesome family comedies, where he usually played a refined English gentleman (CANDLESHOE, for example). So his turn as Dracula was certainly against type.

I've always seen him in movies where he was playing the "nice guy" or English gentleman roles; Dracula is such a strong character, something I never really pictured him as. What I mean by that is that the characters he normally played were nicer, softer characters as opposed to the formidably strong and powerful Dracula.

I've always seen him in movies where he was playing the "nice guy" or English gentleman roles; Dracula is such a strong character, something I never really pictured him as. What I mean by that is that the characters he normally played were nicer, softer characters as opposed to the formidably strong and powerful Dracula.

Right..it's definitely strange to see him as Dracula, even an aging Dracula. And I believe it was a supporting role. The film was originally titled VAMPIRA after the lead female character, but then for marketing purposes it was renamed as OLD DRACULA. American International Pictures produced it.

Archived