Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper to headline "A Star Is Born" remake

jakeem

The Grammy Award-winning singer Lady Gaga will team with actor Bradley Cooper for another remake of "A Star Is Born," the romantic tale of a Hollywood power couple with careers going in different directions. It was first filmed with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March in 1937. A 1954 remake starred Judy Garland and James Mason. Another version was released in 1976 with Barbra Steisand and Kris Kristofferson.

Cooper will direct the latest remake for Warner Bros., and the film will begin production in 2017. Gaga will write and perform songs for the picture.

The film will mark Cooper's directorial debut. Since 2013, he has been nominated for four Academy Awards -- three for acting and one for co-producing the 2014 hit "American Sniper."

gaga-cooper.jpg

Lady Gaga and Cooper

So I'm imagining it will parallel more the Streisand/Kristofferson ASIB, rather than the Gaynor/March.

I haven't seen the Streisand/Kristofferson version,  so I wonder why you make this comparison?   e.g.  Because the songs are original?   (at least some of them by Gaga).  

I assume the plots were generally the same in all 3 versions and will be for this 4th one.  

I believe the trick to watching remakes is to go into the movie theater with exceptionally low expectations. That way I'm rarely severely disappointed. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Hollywood is running out of ideas and to cope with this, they are remaking popular films from the past and/or adding unnecessary sequels. 

That being said, I might go in and see this movie when or if it eventually gets finished and released. 

• Like 3

In the '37 original, Gaynor is also in the acting profession.

In the remakes with Garland and Streisand, the women are singers.  So the GaGa and Cooper remake will likely follow the two more previous remakes.

I don't however, recall IF or HOW the Kristofferson  character takes his life in that one.  and as far as that goes....

The GaGa/Cooper remake couldn't POSSIBY be worse!

Sepiatone

In the '37 original, Gaynor is also in the acting profession.

In the remakes with Garland and Streisand, the women are singers.  So the GaGa and Cooper remake will likely follow the two more previous remakes.

I don't however, recall IF or HOW the Kristofferson  character takes his life in that one.  and as far as that goes....

The GaGa/Cooper remake couldn't POSSIBY be worse!

Sepiatone

Garland's Vicki Lester is an actress and singer. Remember, her husband (played by Mason) drunkenly interrupts her acceptance speech at the Academy Awards.

Star+is+Born+Garland.jpg

Garland's Vicki Lester is an actress and singer. Remember, her husband (played by Mason) drunkenly interrupts her acceptance speech at the Academy Awards.

Star+is+Born+Garland.jpg

Oops, yeah.  So used to thinking of Judy as a singer I forgot.   So, the Streisand/Kristofferson version used the music industry as a backdrop instead of Hollywood.  And Kristofferson's character's demon was DOPE instead of drink.

Maybe there should be a version with RACHEL MADDOW and ANDERSON Cooper and use the newsroom as a backdrop?  :D

Sepiatone

Like, why don't they do a gay couple. Like, we had the all-female Ghostbusters so why not keep it up? Like, I am very disappointed in them.

Here. Allow me to edit your post into upspeak for our modern audience..

Like, why don't they do a gay couple?? Like, we had the all-female Ghostbusters?? so why not keep it up?? Like, I am very disappointed in them??

.. thank you

[just so everyone will know I'm kidding around here.. ]

:P

Here. Allow me to edit your post into upspeak for our modern audience..

Like, why don't they do a gay couple?? Like, we had the all-female Ghostbusters?? so why not keep it up?? Like, I am very disappointed in them??

.. thank you

To me there is a point here about a lack of originally;  why not at least switch the gender roles since the women as up and coming singer\movie star and man as aging movie star has been done twice before.

To me there is a point here about a lack of originally;  why not at least switch the gender roles since the women as up and coming singer\movie star and man as aging movie star has been done twice before.

Twice before, or four times before?

• Like 1

Gaynor wasn't a singer in the 37 version.    Was there another version other then the 54 and 76 version where the women was a singer\actress?

I wasn't aware you were focusing on the specific occupation, rather than the up-and-comer vs downward-spiral dynamic between the leads. I was thinking of the '37 version and What Price Hollywood? (1932). In the earliest two she was an actress, but never broke out in song, so I guess they are disqualified.

I wasn't aware you were focusing on the specific occupation, rather than the up-and-comer vs downward-spiral dynamic between the leads. I was thinking of the '37 version and What Price Hollywood? (1932). In the earliest two she was an actress, but never broke out in song, so I guess they are disqualified.

I reason I (as well as others here), focused on the singing is because that allows a remake to be current\modern.  I.e. remakes can appear 'dated' and as you noted the 'up-and-comer vs downward-spiral' has been beaten to death by Hollywood.

Adding modern music by a singer like Gaga is a wise way to reach a younger demographic.    Now if they had cast Madonna, that would have been dated.    :lol:  

Wonder will he be in the film?

Actually--according to one article I ran across without wanting to--the Leave Britney Alone kid years later has now cleaned up his act, cut his hair and gone back to the buff gym, because of all the public dogpiling he got from the video.  He claims it was "persecution" for being an aspiring transsexual, but he is also aware of the real reason.

The thread kind of got past my opportunity for the Gaga "I am MISTER Norman Maine!" jokes, but that's a good segueway back into them.

There's a reason why the producers were remembering Barbara Streisand and Judy Garland more clearly than they were remembering Janet Gaynor.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings