Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Universal Pictures Under the Stars

Janet0312

How about a Universal Under the Stars month?

Saturdays could be devoted to the classic horrors and some serials and maybe some Woody Woodpecker cartoons.

Mondays - Murder and Mayhem - Remember Last Night for starters.

Tuesdays - Comedy - Abbott & Costello.

Wednesdays - Musicals featuring Donald O'Connor & Peggy Ryan. 

Thursdays - Olsen & Johnson, W. C Fields.

Fridays devoted to the big bug creatures from Universal International...

• Like 1

Sounds great !   Right now,we're lucky to get one or two Universal premieres every other month.  Unless something gets pulled from the schedule ,we have 2 Deanna Durbin films in November one of which is NICE GIRL ?  Then there is THE LIFE OF RILEY in November also.  Not bad,but I would like to see more. Comcast  is in control of a vast "untapped" Universal library.

What a great idea, Janet.  I'm all for that.  And let's not forget all those wonderful Universal Westerns.  Practically every actor under contract with the studio made, at some point, at least one Western for the studio.  And many of them were quite good.

Terrence.

• Like 2

How about a Universal Under the Stars month?

Saturdays could be devoted to the classic horrors and some serials and maybe some Woody Woodpecker cartoons.

Mondays - Murder and Mayhem - Remember Last Night for starters.

Tuesdays - Comedy - Abbott & Costello.

Wednesdays - Musicals featuring Donald O'Connor & Peggy Ryan. 

Thursdays - Olsen & Johnson, W. C Fields.

Fridays devoted to the big bug creatures from Universal International...

I'm sure you're aware that TCM has difficultly getting access to Universal films.   So while I support this idea,  I have supported the general concept of TCM working with Universal on securing leases for years now.     I.e.  I don't care if TCM shows these films as part of some tribute like SUTS;  I just want TCM to show these films.

(as well as films from other studios instead of the same old mostly 'Turner library' films).  

• Like 2

Sounds great !   Right now,we're lucky to get one or two Universal premieres every other month.  Unless something gets pulled from the schedule ,we have 2 Deanna Durbin films in November one of which is NICE GIRL ?  Then there is THE LIFE OF RILEY in November also.  Not bad,but I would like to see more. Comcast  is in control of a vast "untapped" Universal library.

I'm glad you mentioned the Durbin titles. They had been scheduled in June but were pulled at the last minute. So it's good news they have been rescheduled in November.

I'm sure you're aware that TCM has difficultly getting access to Universal films.   So while I support this idea,  I have supported the general concept of TCM working with Universal on securing leases for years now.     I.e.  I don't care if TCM shows these films as part of some tribute like SUTS;  I just want TCM to show these films.

(as well as films from other studios instead of the same old mostly 'Turner library' films).  

AMC, USA Network and Sci-Fi Channel (when it was still correctly spelled, and not a made-up word that didn't obligate themselves to a specific genre of programming) used to be "the Universal channels", but that was back when other cable channels still had their compasses.

ThisTV, which used to be a MGM/Orion movie channel, was taking a few Fox and Universal donations for a while, and played the Monsters over Halloween (including Criterion's new studio "Island of Lost Souls" restoration) and the Marxes over New Year's, but they've sadly hit the movie-starvation skids as well...

• Like 1

Yeah, I know all that junk, I just had a happy thought there for a moment. Wishful thinking.

Well TB and I will wishfully think with you;  maybe the force will be with us and we will get want we ask for.    :D

When I first began watching TCM in 2008, there were hardly any Fox classics aired. Then in 2012 it changed, when they entered into some sort of agreement with Fox and suddenly many classics from that outside studio started appearing on TCM. So I would like to believe they will be able to arrange a similar deal with Universal one day. 

Yes, I would love to see the Universal movie "vault " of films , as well as the pre'48 Paramount library ,on TCM.  There are even enough films from those two studios alone for Comcast to start their own movie channel. They could even offer it on their Xfinity branch and get $2.99 for each film viewed. 

Yes, I would love to see the Universal movie "vault " of films , as well as the pre'48 Paramount library ,on TCM.  There are even enough films from those two studios alone for Comcast to start their own movie channel. They could even offer it on their Xfinity branch and get $2.99 for each film viewed. 

Exactly...why they haven't done something along those lines already is baffling.

I don't think they are smart enough to know the value of what they are holding.  Most of their efforts are for today's "dumb-down" movies.

Probably because the "dumb-down" movies make gobs of money. But yes, the classic films in Universal's vault could also bring in a pretty penny or two.

In an effort to keep this thread "alive", I am going to list SOME Universal titles that have not played on any cable channel since first appearing on The Movie Channel in the late 80's and the American Movie Classics [AMC] Channel a few years later.  By the way , the person doing the introductions on The Movie Channel was none other than our own Robert Osborne.

BACK STREET    [1932 ]

KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS

THE WEB

CORVETTE K 225

ONCE MORE, MY DARLING

THE RUNAROUND

THE SLEEPING  CITY

THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS

SIGN OF THE PAGAN

FORBIDDEN  [1953]

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

MISTER COREY

• Like 1

In an effort to keep this thread "alive", I am going to list SOME Universal titles that have not played on any cable channel since first appearing on The Movie Channel in the late 80's and the American Movie Classics [AMC] Channel a few years later.  By the way , the person doing the introductions on The Movie Channel was none other than our own Robert Osborne.

Do you have the old schedules...or were these ones you recorded with Osborne's past intros?

Do you have the old schedules...or were these ones you recorded with Osborne's past intros?

Sorry to say it's all from memory.  I put most of those films on VHS tape in the EP mode. That was a big mistake. Now I am waiting for those films to be shown again . This time I will use the latest technology in the SP  mode.

• Like 1

Sorry to say it's all from memory.  I put most of those films on VHS tape in the EP mode. That was a big mistake. Now I am waiting for those films to be shown again . This time I will use the latest technology in the SP  mode.

Hopefully they'll come around again and you will have the chance to re-record them.

Two additional titles  I forgot to mention are LAW AND ORDER [1932]  and ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST.  Like Topbilled said I hope I will be able to get them again .

ANOTHER PART OF THE FOREST aired on the old AMC. It would make a great double feature with THE LITTLE FOXES, since it's Hellman's prequel.

Then there's Universal Studios contribution to the WW2 war effort, FOLLOW THE BOYS with many guest appearances.  John Ford's AIRMAIL from 1932 with Pat O'Brien and Ralph Bellamy is another good one. I'll stop now. :)

MGM made a musical with Connie Francis in the 60s with the title FOLLOW THE BOYS, though I don't think it shares any similarities with the earlier picture from Universal. 

BACK STREET    [1932 ]

KISS THE BLOOD OFF MY HANDS

THE WEB

CORVETTE K 225

ONCE MORE, MY DARLING

THE RUNAROUND

THE SLEEPING  CITY

THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS

SIGN OF THE PAGAN

FORBIDDEN  [1953]

SIX BRIDGES TO CROSS

MISTER COREY

You left out so very many. I am dying to see Little Tough Guys, Donald O'Connor & Peggy Ryan, The Ritz Brothers, The Andrews Sisters... Hellzapoppin', Crazy House...Remember Last Night...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings