Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

There is nothing wrong with your memory ,Ayres....you have too much info. to pick from the little grey cells and not know what to choose from ! We ( or should I be honest, I have) asked so many questions that it surprises me you have are not doing the Highland Fling yourself ! :)

Carry on pleases us the way you do and we can carry on doing our bit !

As far as I am concerned FA did the right thing to wear a signet ring on his right pinkie because he did not need his "sword hand" to scare any foes, a couple of taps with those marvellous feet and they would all drop dead with envy ! b-)

Let me get back to FA in his kilt......WOW, indeed ! ;)

Kind regards,

Mifty

I'm with you, Mifty! I think Fred looks quite becoming in his kilt... :x I think I saw that particular clip on YouTube! Damsel In Distress, obviously. Yes, I've never seen that movie but have viewed the clips on the net... Are any of you Burns & Allen fans? I can't say I am a fan, I've only seen them in one other movie.

I was looking back over all the pictures with Fred dancing with the ladies and in nearly every picture he is smiling. What a charmer!

I wanted to ask, who is your favorite supporting actor ever to star along side Astaire? For me, Bing in Holiday Inn was a fave. Loved the part where he sings "Be Careful, It's My Heart" and Astaire is stealing his leading lady the whole time! The look on his face is so pitiful when he turns around to see the two dancing... :(

What Astaire film do you think had the best all-around soundtrack? Again, Easter Parade just leaves me humming all the songs long after I see it.

I agree with BHF, Bing Crosby. They were such fun together and complimented each other so well. They seemed to have fun between takes and during the actual shooting of a scene. Both golf fanatics, I believe. :)

I also agree about "Easter Parade". The songs were so catchy and easy to remember. Love that film. Pity FA and Judy never made another film together because there was an empathy between them that sparkled throughout the film. :)

Kind regards,

Mifty

Hi, folks !

I have been racking my brain trying to think of the film in which FA danced on a bar and broke glasses while under the influence (I think he was singing "On For The Road"), but I simply cannot remember the title. I did see the film a few years back and never got to taping it. It is certaintly not one I have in my collection, that is for sure. Something tells me it is "The Sky's The Limit", however I cannot count on that. H...e...l...p ! ;)

The actress who played Rita Hayworth's aunt in "You Were Never Lovelier" was very nice. So was ? May Oliver in "The Vernon and Irene Castle Story".

Boy, do I love this site and you lovely people. :)

Kind regards,

Mifty

You're right, Mifty, it was "One More for the Road" from The Sky's the Limit. Amongst Astaire films, this one is often dismissed, but I adore it. It may not have his greatest dance partner in it, but I think the interaction between FA and Joan Leslie is very sweet and natural. You'd never know it, but when filming began she had just turned 18 and he was 43!

The plot may seem strange and contrived to some, but it is very much a movie about wartime and the effect it has on people; about a soldier who just wants to forget about the fighting for a while, but winds up feeling more for a woman he's pursuing than he thought he would. All the major characters, and some of the minor ones, are so subtly painted that I never fail to cry at the end.

At the same time, the movie has lots of gentle comedy and inside references that are fun if you recognize them.

And in addition to the wonderful number you mention--a truly dramatic and startling dance--there is the exuberant "I've Got a Lot in Common with You."

Thank you, Ayres. My brain can have a little rest now ! I would not have remembered the actress....not in a million years.

The ladies of the 20's, 30' and 40's seemed much older than their years or is it just me who thinks so ?

Kind regards,

Mifty :)

Yes, that top photo is fantastic! I love the young look...

This is a question for you, Julie. It really doesn't have much to do with Astaire ... I was wondering, are classics very popular over there in the UK? I mean, do you hear much about them or know many others that enjoy them? Just curious... I know this is the only place I come in contact with people that enjoy the same movies I do. Seems like classic buffs are few and far between where I'm at, was wondering if it was the same for you.

Your friend,

Danny

Hi, Danny !

I have my fingers crossed that this will not be another lost message !

In answer to your question, yes the classic films are extremely popular over here. TCM (1 & 2), Sky Cinema (1 &2) aswell as other channels that show old movies have good audience ratings.

Personally, I just adore the movies of the 30s, 40's and 50's (particularly the b/w ones). At least the b/w movies left a lot to the imagination and in musicals such as the ones with FA, one can concentrate on the dancing movements without being distracted wiuth the colours of the costumes ! I simple love; "Mildred Pierce"; "The Lost Weekend"; "Now Voyager"; " Double Indemnity"; "The Apartment"; "Some Like It Hot"; "Strangers On A Train"; the Ealing comedies and much more. Needless to say, I await with great anticipation for any FA movie and check the Turner Listing to see if any will be shown (hoping that some will be the ones I have not seen or have not got in my collection).

Maybe we are a bit more conservative over here and like old-fashioned things ! BTW: there is a programme on BBC 1 called "Strictly Come Dancing" and is extremely well received. A comment to the dancers (each partnership has a proffesional and an amateur celebrity) that says it all is: "Don't try a Fred Astaire" ! Ofcourse, some of the younger generation have got hooked watching this show and because his name comes up all the time, they now watch his films. I think that is so lovely. The dancer par excellence is an icon (not that I think he was ever gone from our memories, but simply gained new fans) to all young people who have taken up dancing.

Is Mr.Astaire still as popular in the USA as he once was ? Are his films being shown as regularly as they are here ? I do hope so.

Hope that this time my message will get posted !

Kind regards,

Julie

Thanks, Julie!

That's great that classics are popular over there, it's awesome to have someone from the UK on here to tell us about it. It's hard to imagine more than one station playing classics (I know some other stations here play a few classics here and there, but it's very rare). I hope they take off more here and begin to appeal to the younger generation.

I'm worried that if TCM packs up, classics will sort of fade away ... :( It relaxes me a bit to know they are gaining popularity where you are, thanks for sharing.

Ayres:

That's an old thread, isn't it? I wonder why it didn't get more replies than it did...

Hello !

How about a Poll of our favourite 10 FA movies ? Another for 5 Favourite co-stras and yet another for best favourite scene and one more for the 10 best songs/music from FA film ? Just an idea !

I will write to several TV Channels and even start a petition if TCM are thinking of ignoring the public !

"Let's get to work" ! (I believe that is what FA said when he was re-united with Ginger.

Kind regards,

Julie

Hi !

A friend of mine asked me yesterday if there is a FA Fan Club ...... no, there is not, but it struck me that there should be one. How about forming a USA/UK FA Fan Club. Afterall, we have started the ball rolling, have we not ? Just another of my ideas !

Well,American FA fans, are you up for the idea or not ? A whole Site devoted to FA. I am more than sure that UK fans will drool and join it and our cousins will have the honour of putting the great American gent in the public eye again.

Kind regards,

Julie

Hi, Julie. I am co-moderator of a very active international online discussion group about FA, which is easily joinable at

http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/astaire/

We've been posting messages, files, and photos since June of 1998, and we're still going strong!

The other moderator of the group has created a terrific website with lots of info, photos, and other cool stuff at

www.alsodances.net

There are links there to other Astaire-related websites. Enjoy!

Wow I love this! A Fred Astaire thread. I could talk all day about my favorite movie star ever!

The first time I ever saw him is when my dad talked me into renting "That's Dancing", a compilation of a lot of famous dancers/dances from movies throughout the years. When I saw his clips I knew I had to see some of his movies. Nothing makes me feel better than watching one of his movies, to me they are the entertainment equivalent to chicken soup. I've seen more movies of his than any other actor.

My favorite quote by him would be from Roberta when he says to Randolf Scott: "Everyday you act worse, but today you're acting like tomorrow!" I also love his whole speech to Ginger in Top Hat when he talks about thunderstorms and the way they relate to love. The dance that follows that scene, "Isn't this a lovely day to be caught in the rain?" is my favorite Fred and Ginger dance. They are all wonderful but there is something about the carefree way they show their affection for each other in that dance, and the playful way Ginger shadows him in the beginning, that just captures me.

Hi there, fairlady!

Glad you love Mr. Astaire, and I hope you look back through this thread. So many great things about your favorite actor... Great photos as well!

I love all the scenes you mentioned, especially the one from Top Hat, which has to be one of the best films of all time. Actually, I probably mentioned this before... But it was the first film I ever saw Astaire in! It was the scene where Ginger Roger's character had just been "married" to the man she worked for. He was tapping loudly in the room above her to disrupt their wedding night... It was in fact the first time I had ever seen taps in a movie.

Since fairlady and I just mentioned the first time we saw Astaire on film, anyone else? If you haven't yet, please do.