Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

Apparently Ginger in "My Story" says that she was shocked when she was to present something to FA. Both of them were in the wings and when Gene called her name,she went on and then was about to give FA his prize as he was called on stage, when suddenly Gene took it off her and said something like "Oh, no you don't" and presented it to FA. Ginger was utterly shocked by the whole thing and FA was looking at her as if to say "I don't know whatis going on". She thought it was a very rude thing to do after coming to the ceremony specially to hand the "trophy" to her dance partner. All this can be verified in her autobiography. So, it seems that Ginger thought Gene rude. Go figure !

Kind regards,

Julie

When was "Summerstock" made and who were Judy's co-stars ? I never heard of this film before.

Yes, it is really nice to hear that Gene was a family man like Mr.Astaire. Who was Gene married to ?

Kind regards,

Julie

Have you ever seen the movie version of Marty? Betsy Blair, the woman who plays Marty's "plain" girlfriend, was Gene Kelly's first wife.

They divorced in the late 1950s and he married a longtime dance assistant of his named Jeanne Coyne (who in fact is one of the chorus dancers in Summer Stock--look for a gal with short curly hair and rolled up jeans). Jeannie, whose first brief marriage had been to Stanley Donen, died of cancer in the early 1970s, and in 1990 Gene did just what Fred Astaire had done--he married a much younger woman who was with him until his death (in 1996).

Summer Stock was made in 1950 and was Garland's last film for MGM. Also starring were Gloria DeHaven, Phil Silvers, Eddie Bracken, Marjorie Main, and Ray Collins.

[nobr]197111~Summer-Stock-Posters.jpg[/nobr]

Ah, now I know the actress you mean. I loved the film "Marty" with Ernest Borgnine. He portrayed the sad and lonely bachelor well and the girl he fell in love with was so kind and understanding.

Just an idea: How about a quiz on songs from FA films ? For instance from which film does " Change Partners" come from ?

Kind regards,

Julie

> Just an idea: How about a quiz on songs from FA

> films ? For instance from which film does " Change

> Partners" come from ?

Here you go. Match the song with the movie:

1. A Foggy Day

2. You?d Be Hard to Replace

3. Needle in a Haystack

4. I Can?t Tell a Lie

5. All of You

6. Let?s Face the Music and Dance

7. So Near and Yet So Far

8. I Wanna Be Loved by You (partial)

9. By Myself

10. Only When You?re in My Arms

A. Three Little Words

B. Silk Stockings

C. The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

D. Follow the Fleet

E. A Damsel in Distress

F. The Band Wagon

G. The Barkleys of Broadway

H. The Gay Divorcee

I. You?ll Never Get Rich

J. Holiday Inn

Just a heads up for all Astaire fans:

Funny Face starring Fred and Audrey Hepburn is going to be on TCM tonight, Friday Feb. 1 at 10pm EST.

A lovely film. Fred does a dance where he is wearing a fabulous white coat with a red satin lining that is just great.

And this is the film where Audrey does the dance in the underground club that was used in that infamous GAP commercial.

Sandy K

Message was edited by:

sandykaypax

> > Just an idea: How about a quiz on songs from FA

> > films ? For instance from which film does " Change

> > Partners" come from ?

>

> Here you go. Match the song with the movie:

>

> 1. A Foggy Day

> 2. You?d Be Hard to Replace

> 3. Needle in a Haystack

> 4. I Can?t Tell a Lie

> 5. All of You

> 6. Let?s Face the Music and Dance

> 7. So Near and Yet So Far

> 8. I Wanna Be Loved by You (partial)

> 9. By Myself

> 10. Only When You?re in My Arms

>

>

> A. Three Little Words

> B. Silk Stockings

> C. The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

> D. Follow the Fleet

> E. A Damsel in Distress

> F. The Band Wagon

> G. The Barkleys of Broadway

> H. The Gay Divorcee

> I. You?ll Never Get Rich

> J. Holiday Inn

1. A Foggy Day--A Damsel in Distress

2. You'd Be Hard to Replace--The Barkleys of Broadway

3. Needle in a Haystack--The Gay Divorcee

4. I Can't Tell a Lie--Holiday Inn

5. All of You--Silk Stockings

6. Let's Face the Music and Dance--Follow the Fleet

7. So Near and Yet So Far--You'll Never Get Rich

8. I Wanna Be Loved by You--Three Little Words

9. By Myself--The Band Wagon

10. Only When You're in My Arms--The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle

I didn't know a few, so I had to use the process of elimination. Hope it's right.

Sandy K

Didn't FA get slapped in Top Hat? I believe it was only once, though. My favorite FA moments come from Easter Parade. It's just such a wonderful movie... Great songs, great actors, great story line. I know musicals usually aren't exactly known for their plots, but you still like for there to be chemistry and a good back story to build the performances on.

I can't not mention Judy Garland... Sorry! *lol* My favorite scene is the one near the end where she is really mad at FA. But, suddenly she bursts in the next morning and rather than making a big deal about their fight... She just acts like nothing has happened at all! I love when FA sits on her knee, then jumps up embarrassed after he realizes what he's doing. Also when he starts posing for her in his new hat... *sighs* I love that movie soo much.

Hi, Danny !

It is "Top Hat" and poor FA does get slapped twice: once neat the elevator and the second time on the balcony !

As for "Easter Parade"...I love that film, too. Apart from the scene you mentioned, I like the one where FA is telling Judy which is her right and which is her left leg and the way she jumps back; also: I absolutely adore the dance where Judy is dressed in feathers (I think he enjoyed that much more than "Cheek to Cheek" with the real thing !). Infact, I love all the scenes with FA and Judy and wished that they had made another film together because they obviously enjoyed making this one...you can tell they gelled together. I adore FA's solo: "Steppin' Out With My Baby" and the slomo, too. I LOVE THE WHOLE FILM !!!

I watched "Barkleys" again and noticed something odd: in the car as the couple drive to the party (after their first dance). At first FA does not have a cigarette in his hand and a minute later he has !

How about another scene from one of FA's films ? OK ! Where does FA jump in the sea and bumps into GR's ?

Kind regards,

Julie

Isn't that funny, that the film editor didn't think we would notice that sudden cigarette? For a reverse situation, watch carefully during the scene in Swing Time in which Ginger and Fred walk around the wintry grounds before they sing "A Fine Romance." At first Fred's got a lit pipe, but as they converse he slips it into his pocket, evidently without putting it out!

That scene with the pipe made me look more closely at all FA's films...out of sheer curiosity, you understand !

What about the one in "Top Hat" when Ginger goes up to complain about F's dancing..note that that she lifts her gown just before turning to go away and what do we see: her gown is down ! Who would have thought that viewers would one day in the future be able to have a contraption that allowed them to scrutinize the bad continuity ! It makes for such interesting comments, though ! : )

Let us find more and enjoy watching the films for the nth time !

Kind regards,

Julie

Nice "still"...thanks. FA has blue eyes here !

Like it when G says "Shake hands" and F looks as if he is about to smile ! Takes us back to "Follow the Fleet", does it not ?

It seems that there are a lot of hidden references to all their previous films. Can we come up with some more, I wonder !

Kind regards,

Julie

Here is a quiz I once gave to the folks on the Yahoo discussion list. Have fun!

1. What was the name of Fred Astaire?s first wife?

2. What year were they married?

3. How many films did Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers make together?

4. In which movie does Astaire play a psychiatrist?

5. What was the one movie that Astaire made with Judy Garland?

6. What romantic song does Rita Hayworth?s character sing to Fred?s in ?You Were Never Lovelier??

7. Who was Astaire?s dancing partner in ?Daddy Long Legs??

8. The following is the first part of the verse to what song?

I was a stranger in the city

Out of town were the people I knew

I had that feeling of self-pity

What to do, what to do, what to do?

9. Astaire was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award in 1974. What was the movie?

10. What was Fred Astaire?s favorite spectator sport?

11. In one of their movies, Astaire plays a con man who tries to steal her fortune. In another, he is a thief who tries to steal her jewels. Who is she (actress' name)?

12. Can you name any two TV shows in which Fred Astaire was star?

13. Bing Crosby had top billing in two of Fred?s movies. Name them.

14. A cross-country train ride, a shoeshine, a new Broadway show, an intimidating ballerina. What is the movie?

15. In what city was Fred Astaire born?

16. What big song hit did Astaire sing both on Broadway and in a movie just two years later?

17. Fred?s sister Adele was married in 1932 to an English lord. They lived in a castle in what country?

18. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers had some problems with two of her dance costumes. Can you name the dance numbers for which she wore them?

19. Astaire sang one song in two of his films with Ginger Rogers. What was the song?

20. For one bonus point, name the two movies in which the song was sung.

21. Name a famous television star who appeared in Astaire/Rogers movies very early in her career.

22. For one bonus point, name the three A&R movies in which she appeared.

Why is poor FA having a nose bleed ? (!!!!!)

1. Phyllis Potter

2. 1932

3. 10

4. "Carefree"

5. "Easter Parade"

6. "I.m Old Fashioned"

7. Leslie Caron

8. --------------------------- ?

9. "The Towering Inferno"

10. Horse racing

11. Lucille Bremer ("Ziegfeld Follies")

12. "It Takes A Thief"; "Dr.Kildaire"

13. "Holiday Inn"; "Blue Skies"

14. "Band Wagon"

15. Omaha, Nebraska

16. ...............................?

17. Lord Cavendish (N.Ireland)

18. "Cheek To Cheek"...ooops ! I forgot the question ! ("Follow the Fleet")

19. "They Can't Take That Away From Me"

20. "Top Hat"; "Barkleys of Broadway"

21. Lucille Ball (?)

22. If above is correct I can only think of "Follow the Fleet"

This is a serious question: does anyone think that the ending of "Blue Skies" was different to the finished product ? It seems that way to me. We see FA in a Tuxedo (in his dressing room) drinking heavily, he is then asked to come on stage and when he does he dances in a completely different suit and finally goes dizzy and has a great fall. One would expect a fatal end or a very bad one indeed and since we see his character sitting down behind a desk throughout his narration, one suposes that he is paralysed or else limping etc. What is it that makes me wonder if the ending was meant to be different to the one we see ? !

Kind regards,

Julie