Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

He may have been badly hurt but not paralyzed--doesn't he narrate something like, "Well, that was the end of my dancing days"?

All I know is that this is my least favorite Astaire film and the ending is one of the reasons why. No girl for Fred? Sacrilege!

Great job on the quiz, Julie and Sandy. You got most of 'em...

Close on number 1?they were married in 1933.

And number 17?except Lismore Castle is in the south of Ireland.

And number 18 is right?to be more specific, the other number was ?Let?s Face the Music and Dance.?

Still need answers to number 16, 20 (half right) and 22 (you got one of three!)

[nobr]

The answer to #16 is "Night and Day" from The Gay Divorcee (Broadway title: Gay Divorce).

RIGHT!

[/nobr]

[nobr]

The 2 films in which Fred sings "They Can't Take That Away From Me" are Swing Time and The Barkleys of Broadway.

Still only half right...

[/nobr]

Ok, I went to the imdb and looked up Lucille Ball 'cause I was dying to know what 3 films she was in with Fred and Ginger. I could only think of Follow the Fleet, like Mifty. It turns out she was a fashion model in Roberta and a flower clerk in Top Hat. It's been a while since I saw either of those.

Sandy K

I agree : "Blue Skies" let me down when FA did not get the girl. He was much better than his pal and would have made a fantastic husband. Well, FA should ALWAYS have got the girl anyway....lucky girl(s) !

Yes, please, Queen Ayres...more questions !

It is snowing here and it is very cold, too. Order on the menu: FA DVD's :) I need cheering up and there is only one gentleman that can do that :)

Kind regards,

Julie

I've been off all week and missed the quiz! I hope I can still pass the course! Maybe I can do some extra-credit work. I can't believe Lucille is in Top Hat - that will be on the agenda to watch this weekend - I can't believe I've missed her all this time.

I've had "quizaphobia" since I started back college! :)

RO gave an intro to Top Hat once (I don't believe it was "The Essentials") and he mentioned to look out for Ball as the flower saleslady. This was her... I think! I need to go back through the thread because I maybe wrong.

Did anyone see Second Chorus? I recorded it but have not watched it yet. I know poor Mifty probably didn't :( , Mifty? What dvds of Astaire's are coming in the mail for you? Just curious what you'll be watching!

Hi, Danny !

Well, in one week TCM had: "Easter Parade"; "Ziegfeld Follies" (just taped FA and left the rest out !) and "The Band Wagon". Not bad. The thing is I have "EP" and "BW" as DVD's and "ZF" on VHS (boring to have to watch the other bits and that is why I taped the FA bits !). I am waiting to see if "Three Little Words"; "Belles of New York" and "Roberta" will every turn up. I have not seen the latter for a very long time and never had the pleasure of the former two.

As for "Top Hat" and Lucille Ball...where is she ? I played it last night and I could not see her anywhere ! I know that she was in "Follow the Fleet" and "Ziegfeld Follies", but "Top Hat"...surely not ! I love that film and must have watched it at least thirty times. Am I looking through a glass darky ? !!!!

I like the way the statue changes as FA and GK get older in "ZF". Also, how F sticks his moustache down as he dances (I bet he wanted to do the scene again to make it as perfect as only FA would but it stayed in somehow !). Rita Hayworth...Ginger ...great !

Please correct me on what I am about to say. In "Swing Time" FA is not wearing his signet ring, but Victor Moore is wearing an identical one. Look carefully and tell me if I am imagining this. I like the smile on Ginger's face when she starts the screen wipers and poor F gets smothered in snow. Was he expecting such a deluge or was it a gag ?

Loved the quiz.....more please Queen Ayres. Put us to the test again, please. You agree, don't you, Danny ?

Kind regards,

Julie

PS: Sorry, but I forgot to say that "Second Chorus" must be one of F's worse films. I just do not like the whole thing. I watch it, for sure, because of F, but I find it inane and very boring. Maybe the fact that I do not like Dorsey and his band has something to do with my displeasure.

Yes, Ms. Ayres questions are always welcome in my book... I'm not promising I will be abke to answer them ;) But I do enjoy them!

Maybe the fact that I like Dorsey will affect my view of Second Chorus, or maybe I won't like it either! I let you know... Look for Lucy when FA goes to the flower shop to buy the whole store out of flowers! You know, when he buys the horse shoe? :) Lucy is the clerk that is offering her services. TCMDB has her listed as "Flower shop clerk" in its extended cast & crew.

I've seen Easter Parade (myfave FA flick) and Ziegfeld Follies. I'm about to see The Bandwagon. I didn't enjoy Three Little Words... I believe that was the one with Red Skelton (?) but I'm not absolutely sure. I just know I didn't like it. Roberta is excellent! Thanks for the kindly replies (as always) Julie.

Danny

I think FA himself said Second Chorus was the worst movie he was ever in... there's a few funny parts but overall it just doesn't reach the heights of other FA musicals. As a B-musical it would probably be considered just fine, but with FA in it, you expect more.

Why is "Three Little Words" considered a poor FA film ?

Is "Belle of New York" a good film ? I think it will be coming my way soon.

I wonder why I cannot obtain "Let's Dance" on VHS or DVD (the same goes for "Roberta"). I searched everywhere on the Web.

Questions and more questions....sorry, guys !

Kind regards,

Julie

I wouldn't consider Three Little Words a "poor" FA film by any stretch, it's actually quite a lot of fun. I wouldn't know why others haven't enjoyed it. The worst I would say about it is that it's one of the lesser-known MGM musicals w/ FA.

Roberta was recently released on DVD by WHV, both individually and as part of the Rogers & Astaire sets.

Let's Dance apparently was only released in the U.S./Canada on VHS and laserdisc.

Perhaps it is simply a matter of opinion on Three Little Words... I Just couldn't get into the story, and I gernerally like Skelton most of the time. Who knows why some films just don't agree with some people. Julie, you should definately check it out if you get the chance and tell us what you think.

bhf1940

Thanks to cinemascope and Danny for your answers to my questions.

I have the 8 DVD collection box of Astaire/Rogers films...unfortunately "Roberta" is not included. I bought "Berklays of Broadway" but cannot find "Roberta" (DVD or VHS). I feel incomplete !!!!

When and if "Three Little Words" does come my way, I shall make a point of letting you know what I think of it. No doubt I will love FA and dismiss the rest of the cast !

Has anyone come up with the "signet ring mystery" in "Swing Time" ? A close-up shot leaves no doubt that it is identical to FA's ring, but why is F ringless ? (!)

I watched "Flying Down To Rio" yesterday and as always got annoyed that the tango bit was not long enough. the "Carioca" run approx. 16 minutes and the best part is when F ? G dance it. F is so cute in it that it is little wonder the studio saw the potential of this newcomer. He saved RKO and made movie history. Dear, lovely gentleman F.

Kind regards,

Julie

Hi, everyone! Well, I gave my Fred Astaire class at a dance school in Washington, D.C., last night, and the 30+ people who attended really seemed to enjoy it. There were even some college-age folks there, which I always love to see.

Watching for Lucy in Astaire-Rogers films is fun. Her parts in Roberta (she is a fashion model in a sequence near the end) and Top Hat are very small, but she has some great lines in Follow the Fleet. Keep in mind while watching out for her that she was a platinum blonde in those days! And did you know that Ginger was not purely blonde? Remember the scene in Swing Time, in which Fred requests a dance instructor with red hair? Ginger had sort of strawberry blonde hair in the 1930s that showed up blonde in black-and-white. (Then when she made Barkleys, her hair was straight blonde, so it does get confusing.)

If you don?t like Tommy Dorsey, you don?t have to avoid Second Chorus, because Artie Shaw?s is the band in the movie. YOU DON?T LIKE ARTIE SHAW? Absolutely my favorite big band of all time, which makes the ridiculous Second Chorus nevertheless a must-see for me. Have you ever heard Shaw?s recording of ?Lady, Be Good?? (a song associated with FA in fact, because it was sung in one of his Broadway shows). I can listen to that endlessly; knocks. me. out!

Anyway I can watch just about any Astaire movie, even the weaker ones, because I find him so appealing. You know all of movielover11?s questions on the other threads, about what movie star you?d like to wake up with, marry, curl up with on cold nights, etc.? Well, my answers would be a bit repetitious. I find that funny-looking little guy a very sexy man.

Julie, I so agree with you about the tango between Belinha and Fred Ayres (ohhh?so that?s where her name comes from...) to "Orchids in the Moonlight." It?s so sexy, but then he has to go and ruin it by pulling faces and asking her where she sends her laundry!

As far as the signet ring situation in Swing Time goes, many men in the 19th and 20th centuries wore signet rings on their little fingers, which would explain Victor Moore?s. It was a fashion of the upper class that many entertainers took on to add a touch of sophistication.

The only reason I can think of why Fred didn?t wear his ring for that role is that he thought a gambler and hoofer might not have one, the way a Jerry Travers or Petrov would. But that doesn?t really explain Pop having one, so I really don?t know. In candid shots of FA at home and out with his wife, I never see him wearing a wedding ring?only that pinky ring, and always on the right hand.

Much Tougher Quiz!

1. What are the names of Fred Astaire?s three children?

2. Name any two FA films in which it is snowing.

3. Name four in which it is raining. (Water used to fight a fire does not count.)

4. In what two films does Fred get annoyed with a policeman who interrupts his wooing?

5. In what year did Astaire tour Europe to entertain the troops?

6. Who said, ?Would you please send up a nice juicy steak? I beg your pardon? Oh yes, mashed potatoes, and carrots... and some spinach... oh yes, and of course coffee...?

7. Which of Astaire?s partners was married to a singer and saxophonist who appeared in an Astaire-Rogers movie?

8. Name the films in which Fred portrays a member of the armed forces.

9. Name four films or television movies or shows in which Astaire played a father.

10. Give the line that comes after this one in the script: ?Just like Faust, this man is tempted by the devil. And his compromise, his sellout, must end in eternal damnation.?

11. In what two films did Fred have leading ladies with the character name ?Linda?? (In yet another FA movie there?s a character named Linda, but she?s not leading lady.)

12. In what two films is he in South America?

13. In what movie does Astaire view a stereopticon?

14. Name two Astaire films in which character actor Donald MacBride appears.

15. Name three Astaire films in which character actor Clinton Sundberg appears.

16. Of the following Broadway theatres, in which one did Fred and Adele Astaire never appear in a full-length show?

a. The Alvin

b. The Globe

c. The Eltinge

d. The Winter Garden

e. The New Amsterdam

17. What breed of dog did Adele love because their faces reminded her of Fred?s?

18. Name the three women considered for the role of Ellen Bowen in Royal Wedding.

19. In what year did Fred Astaire host the Academy Awards Ceremony in Hollywood?

20. Fred was considered for a certain movie role in the 1950s, but it ended up going to an actor whose body type was the opposite of his. Name the film.

21. For one bonus point: Just before she married in the 1890s, what was Fred Astaire?s mother?s name?

22. For another bonus point: Name three Cole Porter songs that did not make it from ?Gay Divorce? to The Gay Divorcee.

1 Peter (stepson), Fred Jnr, Ava

2 "Swing Time"; "Holiday Inn"

3 "Top Hat"; "Band Wagon"; "Berklays of Broadway".

4 "Swing Time"; "Funny Face".

5 1944

6 The butler (Cyril ?) in "Top Hat"

7 ???????

8 "The Sky's the Limit".

9 "The Pleasure of His Company"; ?????; ?????.

10 It is "Band Wagon" but I cannot remember what follows !

11 ????

12 "Flying Down To Rio"; "You Were Never Lovelier".

13 "Vernon and Irene Castle Story"

14 ????

15 ????

16 The Winter Garden (I am guessing !)

17 ????

18 ????

19 ????

20 ????

21 ????

22 Ann Gelius

That is what I call a tough quiz !

Sorry ! I did get the band wrong ("Second Chance").

I could not agree with you more, FA was a very sexy-looking gent. I think he was really handsome, had a boyish charm, lovely smile, great taste in clothes and...well: everything about him spelled adorable and classy.

Kind regards,

Julie

20. Fred was considered for a certain movie role in the 1950s, but it ended up going to an actor whose body type was the opposite of his. Name the film.

I have no idea, but I would love to the answer to this one... I guess I'll just have to wait 'til someone guesses correctly. I wonder if it was a Gene Kelly movie.