Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

A very warm welcome, Karrie. I am sure you will enjoy this fabulous site.

Thanks, Ayres, I will pass your information to my aunt (she was half right...TV comedy ; she may have seen both actresses and confused the shows !)

Here are a few more observations: "Berklays of Broadway"...Josh can be seen in the mirror as he talks to Dinah in the first shot but not in the second one and he is still there with the clothes hanger in his hand ! Different takes, I suppose. Also, notice Ginger looking to her right and as she "rehearses" with FA and they are laughing. Oh, did I mention that F gives a wink as he spins in his kilt and his black shorts show ? (!) BTW his mother was watching that dance and it could he could have been winking at her.

Kind regards,

Julie

PS: I hope we shall be getting those marvellous FA movies to celebrate his Birthday. Cannot wait to find out (nothing for May on TCM Listings GB).

Well, kids--want all the quiz answers? Or a little more time to answer the questions?

> Much Tougher Quiz!

>

> 1. What are the names of Fred Astaire?s three

> children?

>

> 2. Name any two FA films in which it is snowing.

>

> 3. Name four in which it is raining. (Water used to

> fight a fire does not count.)

>

> 4. In what two films does Fred get annoyed with a

> policeman who interrupts his wooing?

>

> 5. In what year did Astaire tour Europe to entertain

> the troops?

>

> 6. Who said, ?Would you please send up a nice juicy

> steak? I beg your pardon? Oh yes, mashed potatoes,

> and carrots... and some spinach... oh yes, and of

> course coffee...?

>

> 7. Which of Astaire?s partners was married to a

> singer and saxophonist who appeared in an

> Astaire-Rogers movie?

>

> 8. Name the films in which Fred portrays a member of

> the armed forces.

>

> 9. Name four films or television movies or shows in

> which Astaire played a father.

>

> 10. Give the line that comes after this one in the

> script: ?Just like Faust, this man is tempted by the

> devil. And his compromise, his sellout, must end in

> eternal damnation.?

>

> 11. In what two films did Fred have leading ladies

> with the character name ?Linda?? (In yet another FA

> movie there?s a character named Linda, but she?s not

> leading lady.)

>

> 12. In what two films is he in South America?

>

> 13. In what movie does Astaire view a stereopticon?

>

> 14. Name two Astaire films in which character actor

> Donald MacBride appears.

>

> 15. Name three Astaire films in which character actor

> Clinton Sundberg appears.

>

> 16. Of the following Broadway theatres, in which one

> did Fred and Adele Astaire never appear in a

> full-length show?

>

> a. The Alvin

> b. The Globe

> c. The Eltinge

> d. The Winter Garden

> e. The New Amsterdam

>

> 17. What breed of dog did Adele love because their

> faces reminded her of Fred?s?

>

> 18. Name the three women considered for the role of

> Ellen Bowen in Royal Wedding.

>

> 19. In what year did Fred Astaire host the Academy

> Awards Ceremony in Hollywood?

>

> 20. Fred was considered for a certain movie role in

> the 1950s, but it ended up going to an actor whose

> body type was the opposite of his. Name the film.

>

> 21. For one bonus point: Just before she married in

> the 1890s, what was Fred Astaire?s mother?s name?

>

> 22. For another bonus point: Name three Cole Porter

> songs that did not make it from ?Gay Divorce? to

> The Gay Divorcee.

I agree with Danny ! Please someone: get the answer to No: 20 !

Enjoyed watching "The Gay Divorcee" (for the upteenth time) and love it when FA is about to crack up in three scenes: (1) "Men don't pine, they suffer"; (2) "Are you a Union man"; best of all (because Ginger is on the verge of cracking up,too) "You kiss while you're dancing"...F says: "Good idea" (or words to that effect). They seemed very happy in that movie and it shows. In "Top Hat" they were not all that joyful and you can see that. Maybe it is just my imagination !

I have a date with "Shall We Dance" tomorrow !

Kind regards,

Julie :)

Re: Much tougher quiz - you bet it is!

#6 - I think the butler's name was Bates - played by Eric Blore.

#22. Name three cole Porter songs that did not make it from...

I tried to cheat but got distracted. There is a great webpage on this musical on Wikipedia. It has a great picture of FA with Claire Luce, who played opposite him on both the Broadway and London stage. It's hard to believe that part wasn't ALWAYS Ginger's, isn't it?

For an answer, how about After You, Who:...How's Your Romance:...I Still Love the Red, White and Blue...and Salt Air.

It looks like The Continental and Needle in a Haystack (Magidson and Conrad) and Don't Let It Bother You and Let's Knock Knees (Gordon and Revel) were added to the film. Wouldn't you have loved to have seen the stage production, though? I just can't imagine.

B

It's fun to read the script of the original play--it's even racier than the movie. Mimi tells Guy to come to her room at midnight--and bring his pajamas.

I have heard that there is in existence some film of the stage play, when Dorothy Stone had taken Claire Luce's place on tour. I keep hoping that it will somehow be made public, but I don't even know who holds it.

OK,

Here are the correct answers:

1. What are the names of Fred Astaire?s three children?

Peter Potter, Ava, and Fred Astaire, Jr.

2. Name any two FA films in which it is snowing.

Swing Time, Holiday Inn, Ghost Story, The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, the Barkleys of Broadway

3. Name four in which it is raining. (Water used to fight a fire does not count.)

Top Hat, Easter Parade, The Barkleys of Broadway, The Band Wagon, Funny Face

4. In what two films does Fred get annoyed with a policeman who interrupts his wooing?

Follow the Fleet, The Sky?s the Limit

I?d give half-credit for the following, as any annoyance shown by Fred?s character was pretty mild:

Shall We Dance (cop interrupts the ?You?ve got to marry me? conversation)

Easter Parade (hotel?s house detective intimidates Don away from Hannah?s door)

I don?t agree with ?Swing Time? as an answer, because he honestly wasn?t on the make for Penny during that scene; he was just trying to get back Pop?s quarter and then clear up Penny?s angry confusion when the policeman (or should I say ?COSSACK??) came along.

5. In what year did Astaire tour Europe to entertain the troops?

6. Who said, ?Would you please send up a nice juicy steak? I beg your pardon? Oh yes, mashed potatoes, and carrots... and some spinach... oh yes, and of course coffee...?

That invaluable manservant Bates, as played by Eric Blore in ?Top Hat?

7. Which of Astaire?s partners is married to a singer and saxophonist who appeared in an Astaire-Rogers movie?

Cyd Charisse, who is married to Tony Martin. He played one of the sailors in the band in ?Follow the Fleet.?

8. Name the films in which Astaire portrays a member of the armed forces.

Follow the Fleet, The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle, You?ll Never Get Rich, The Sky?s the Limit, Let?s Dance

9. Name four films or television movies or shows in which Astaire played a father.

The Pleasure of His Company, Finian?s Rainbow, A Family Upside Down, It Takes a Thief, Battlestar Gallactica, Think Pretty, and (stretching it a little) Yolanda and the Thief

10. Give the line that comes after this one in the script: "Just like Faust, this man is tempted by the devil. And his compromise, his sellout, must end in eternal damnation."

?THAT?ll leave ?em laughing!? ?spoken by Oscar Levant.

11. In what two films did Fred have leading ladies with the character name ?Linda??

Shall We Dance (Linda Keene: ?My, uh... my REAL name is Linda Thompson.?)

Holiday Inn (Linda Mason. Or as Jim Hardy puts it: ?Oh, LINDA Mason... (?!)?

This was not an official question, but: (In yet another FA movie there?s a character named Linda, but she?s not leading lady.) That would be Linda Pendleton (played by Terry Moore), Jervis Pendleton?s niece in Daddy Long Legs.

12. In what two films is he in South America?

Flying Down to Rio, You Were Never Lovelier

Several people who answered the original quiz questions on the Astaire list gave the answer Yolanda and the Thief, but the exact location of the fictional Patria is never established, despite its resemblance to a country with a mixture of Latin and European traditions (very much like many in South America).

13. In what movie does Astaire view a stereopticon?

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle. Vernon sits on the steps of the parlor with Irene in 1911, looking at travel views. Irene slips in a card depicting Niagara Falls, in hopes of giving him some inspiration.

14. Name two Astaire films in which character actor Donald MacBride appears

The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle (hotel manager: ?Don?t worry; I know what you want: a hot bird, a cold bottle, and a warm shoulder?heh, Captain??)

You?ll Never Get Rich (top sergeant: ?Who?s making patty-cake with the feet??)

15. Name three Astaire films in which character actor Clinton Sundberg appears

The Belle of New York (Gilford Spivak, the prim fellow who pines after Angela. Or do men pine?)

The Barkleys of Broadway (Bert Felsher, the producer of the Barkleys? show: ?...all this calm, all this lovey-dovey?I don?t quite trust it.?)

Easter Parade (Mike the bartender: ?I?ve been here 15 years and I can boil down trouble into two classifications: women and their mothers.?)

16. Of the following Broadway theatres, in which one did Fred and Adele Astaire never appear in a full-length show?

a. The Alvin

b. The Globe

c. The Eltinge

d. The Winter Garden

e. The New Amsterdam

The Astaires never played the Eltinge Theatre, which was named in 1912 after a female impersonator of the early 20th century named Julian Eltinge. (For more on this fascinating person, see http://www.thejulianeltingeproject.com/bio.html).

It?s something of a trick question, because in raving about how much 42nd Street has changed, Tony Hunter (in The Band Wagon) says that the first show he ever did was at the Eltinge (?and I don?t even believe that?s here anymore,? he says). Actually the theatre still stands (albeit 200 feet to the east of where it originally stood) at 236 West 42nd Street. It eventually became a movie theatre called the Empire, and its old facade and lobby are currently part of an AMC Multiplex. I photographed it (along with all the existing theatres in which the Astaires DID appear) when we were in New York last Christmas. These photos are found in the Files section of http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/astaire/ in case you?d like to see them.

17. What breed of dog did Adele love because their faces reminded her of Fred?s?

Dachshund

18. Name the three women considered for the role of Ellen Bowen in ?Royal Wedding.?

First it was to be Judy Garland?MGM?s second attempt to re-team her with Astaire. She was still too emotionally ill to do it, and this in fact was the point at which the studio gave up on her. June Allyson was next assigned the role, but became pregnant and had to withdraw. So the third woman considered was the one made the movie: Jane Powell.

19. In what year did Fred Astaire host the Academy Awards Ceremony in Hollywood?

20. Fred was considered for a certain movie role in the 1950s, but it ended up going to an actor whose body type was the opposite of his. Name the film.

Papa?s Delicate Condition, in which Jackie Gleason starred in 1963. Sammy Cahn and Jimmy Van Heusen wrote the song ?Call Me Irresponsible? for Astaire. I?ve always been rather glad he didn?t play the part, as I like his ?selfish guy? roles less. I think FA sang at least part of the song on a talk show once.

21. For one bonus point: Just before she married in the 1890s, what was Fred Astaire?s mother?s name?

Johanna (later shortened to Ann) Geilus

22. For another bonus point: Name three Cole Porter songs that did not make it to the movie version of ?Gay Divorce.?

Would you believe that there were nine of them?

After You, Who?

How?s Your Romance?

I Still Love the Red, White and Blue

I?ve Got You on My Mind

Mr. and Mrs. Fitch

Salt Air

What Will Become of Our England?

Why Marry Them?

You?re in Love

Congratulations for all the correct answers you contributed!

Well, I would have never gotten #20! WHAT a quiz... Sheesh! :) I give it up for anyone who can do well with that one... LOL

Oh, I saw Blue Skies for the first time last night and I thought Fred Astaire was adorable! Bing always has a place in my heart... Both of them were wonderful in the film...

Well, Ayres, that was one tough quiz ! I think it was great because we learn a lot about FA that way. Thanks.

Danny, I love "Blue Skies" because FA and BC were a great team. I loved the way BC was whirled round by FA when he was trying to dance ; also: FA playing the drunk (the reprise of his role in "Holiday Inn" during the New Year party). Yes, he is so gorgeous in this film (but what is new ! :)

5.00AM and "Royal Wedding" on TCM. I am wide awake (reaching for the tenth cup of coffee in the space of two hours !).

Kind regards,

Julie

PS: How about a quiz based on photo's (Stills) from FA movies, Ayres ? Please !

Hi Julie! Yes, I always love photos... :)

I liked the scene where Bing "milked" FA's fingers! Oh gosh... They were a great team. It's always a blast to see FA tease Bing about his dancing, although I always thought Bing could be a hoofer if he worked at it.

I just didn't like the part where Bing left his family and new born little girl :( I guess I could understand it more if he visited her, but the fact that she didn't recognize him at first when they met was sad. Especially since that little girl was the ultimate cutie! It's way to early in the morning here (past 2 am) so I better get some sleep!

Danny :)

Hello, Danny !

I am off to bed now having had a good doze of FA ("Royal Wedding").

You are absolutely right about BC's character...what a dreadful father to that sweetie pie. His wife should have divorced him and married Jed (afterall he did look after his pal's child)....I know I would have done and without any hesitation !!!!!!! :):):) How could any woman turn down such a hansome man and after being shown an engagement ring for the fifth time....never mind the ring, I would have said yes on the spot ! Of the three men, only FA remained single..sacrilege !

Loved that sketch of the farmers, too (milking then squirting with FA pinkies) !

Kind regards,

Julie

Did you recognize that adorable little girl who played Bing's daughter? She was Jimmy Stewart's little Zuzu in It's a Wonderful Life and David Niven's wee daughter in The Bishop's Wife--Karolyn Grimes. She still makes quite a few personal appearances. She's without a doubt my favorite kid actress.

http://www.zuzu.net/

Yes, Ayres, I thought it might have been the same little girle that appeared in that wonderful movie as Zuzu and with the fantastic Niven in "The Bishop's Wife" (loved it when he got stuck in the armchair !). What a lovely little girl and so natural. I think Bing did not expect her "snarl" and he gave a sweet smile and did the same when playing the piano (liked the song, too).

Kind regards,

Julie

You know, I was thinking the whole time I had seen that little cutie somwhere before... It's a Wonderful Life came to mind but I just wasn't sure. I thought it looked like Bing was having a hard time acting around that kid, she was too cute! That was a sweet scene, not so much for the film but just to see the two of them play off of one another.

I was in the middle of The Bandwagon which I had never seen before. I'm going to finish watching it soon, not sure what I think of it yet. I don't know if I like Charisse in it but we'll see. What do all of you think of it?

Oh, and Julie! Do you realize you have made up a fourth of this thread just by yourself? (92 posts out of 388) Or have you been posting somewhere else on the board and I haven't seen you?

So nice to have such loyal FA fans like you and all the rest of the ones that have contributed to this thread (you know who you are ;) ) Thanks for the FA memories!

I LOVE The Band Wagon, and have always been a big fan of Cyd Charisse. Seeing "Dancing in the Dark" (in That's Entertainment) is what made me fall for Fred. I only wish there were more of a love story in the movie after that number. Their relationship seems to get relegated to a minor subplot, though the moments we see of it are nice, especially that little "massage" scene on the stairs.

Hi, Danny !

Yep, I seem to be THE proverbial chatterbox when it comes to FA ! :) Please tell me if I get carried away....honestly, I will not be offended. It is a case of loving this site and you lovely enthusiastic fans that makes me harp on about F.

I agree about "TB". It is a goodish movie but more so when FA is being romantic (here I go again !). "Dancing in the Dark" should have led to a kiss and later on to a few more romantic scenes would have made it so much more enjoyable (the kiss within the storyline was not really all that good). I loved the way Fred Astaire was measuring Cyd's height on the stairs; when he lost his temper with Jack B and: when alone in his apartment throwing things. To be honest I did not like Cyd very much in this film (do not get me wrong, I think she danced superbly) because she seemed cool in the romance department. She should have been swept of her feet and fallen in the arms of the most handsome man EVER ! BWT, I like the way Oscar says "She is about three feet tall" !

It is true, I can never get tired watching FA and so I am off to put "Swing Time" in my DVD player and then put the recorded "Belle of New York" (what, again ?) so as I can sleep happily in the early morning hours !

Kind regards,

Julie :)

Julie - I hope you slept well with FA! His movies with Ginger are my favorite ones to go to sleep by. (I have to drown out the snoring somehow.) "Heaven...I'm in Heaven...:"

b

Oh, poor BIRDY! Do you have to put up with snoring, too?! I can't stand it... Everyone in my house snores and it is a rough existence as a non-snorer! LOL

Julie, you can never get too carried away on this site... That's what we're here for ;)

I do hope TCM brings "Damsel In Distress" to GB. That is the movie with George and Gracie, isn't it ? Joan Fontaine is in it, too .

Snoring is a pain in the RB ! Thank goodness I do not snore (maybe it is because of my nightly dose of FA) !

Enjoy "Damsel in Distress" and please let me know how good it is.....well it has FA and thats the main thing.

Kind regards,

Julier :)

Yes, and now I am looking forward to actually watching it. I recorded it earlier this morning and I'll probably take a look at it tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be sure to record Mutiny On The Bounty and Peggy24 and I are looking forward to the airing of William Powell's The Great Ziegfeld! Thanks TCM!

bhf1940

Hi Bophopefan---long time! I watched as much of A Damsel in Distress as I could this morning before leaving for work. I wish I had taped it as it's been ages since I saw it all the way thru. I love George and Gracie and I have always has a fondness for the supporting actor, Reginald Gardiner. He was so witty and elegant always. Looked like the sort of fellow you would be guaranteed to have a great time with on a night on the town or at parties. Too bad there aren't more like him!

BTW, are you thrilled that March is Gene Kelly month on TCM?

> BTW, are you thrilled that March is Gene Kelly

> month on TCM?

I know I am!

I also love Ray Noble in A Damsel in Distress. He is very true to the Reggie character in Wodehouse's book, by the way. If you haven't read it, you really must--it is very different from the movie (and some character names are different), but absolutely delightful. You can even read it online:

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext00/dmsnd11.txt

I know Julie will appreciate this, and probably others of you as well: You know the scene in which Jerry mistakenly thinks Alyce is talking about him (but she's really talking about the first American she was in love with)? She says, "Well, first of all, he's divinely handsome," and Jerry blushingly says, "Aww, you're crazy!" Ironically, I find Fred Astaire more good-looking in that scene than any other I can think of!

Thank you, Ayres---for that link. My curiosity in Wodehouse was piqued when I saw he co-wrote the screenplay. I had him on my list of "must reads" years ago when I was really into British Lit.

Miss G