Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

Burns and Allen, one of the great love stories. George once said about Gracie about being the straight man in the act. It was an easy job - "I asked about her brother and she talked for 35 years."

If you ever get a chance check out there TV show.

Yes, Danny, I've got it bad !!

"Damsel in Distress" sounds great. I loved George Burns in "The Sunshine Boys" and when he played God in a film (I cannot remember the title right now), but I never had the pleasure of seeing Grace on TV or film. However, I will keep my eyes peeled for the awesome trio in "D in D" because it sounds like a barrel of laughs.

Was Joan Fontaine any good ? Did she dance with FA ? The only thing I heard about was the song "A Foggy Day In London Town" and that FA sung it in this film...that is all I know.

Kind regards,

Julie :)

To be honest, Julie... I don't think she really danced with FA much. There was a scene in the woods that they did some steps together, but nothing really memorable (IMO). I liked her, actually - I thought she was very pretty and likeable. :)

Thanks for the photo, QA! You know, that film is really starting to grow on me, can you tell? ;) lol Hi Chris! :) You know, I first saw Burns & Allen in Bing's We're Not Dressing and got curious about them... My mother keeps telling me they had a great love for one another, and that Burns was really sad once Gracie passed on. I thought that was really sweet, adds to me enjoying the two of them together... Knowing that they really loved one another in real life. If none of that is true I'm going to be really redfaced! :P

In this movie, I thought Gracie was going to kiss the other guy but then surprisingly kissed George! :) Did this happen often on their flicks or does anyone know? I didn't know if they always played one another's love interests and didn't like playing opposite anyone else. Thanks for all the interesting conversation > You are all such a break for me from my midterms!

bhf1940

Thanks, Danny. I always liked Joan Fontaine but never pictured her as a dancer and that is why I asked the question.

I agree with you about George and Gracie...any screen couple that are truely in love in their private lives seem to pluck the strings of our hearts when we see them in whatever characters they play.

Mid-term......remember the feeling very well ! Good Luck and I hope you achieve the whatever you are aiming in life, Danny.

Kind regards,

PS: Sorry, but I forgot the other smilies !

> Mid-term......remember the feeling very well ! Good

> Luck and I hope you achieve the whatever you are

> aiming in life, Danny.

Thanks alot! Those words mean alot to me, Julie... ;) Midterms are tough but I'll muddle through some how. I'm going into the Police force here, I'll fit in somewhere eventually I'm sure. I wish the same good fortune to you, and all our UK friends!

> PS: Sorry, but I forgot the other smilies !

I'm sorry I use them so much! It becomes a real habit when you are posting... I love posting the list so try these out if you'd like:

[nobr];)[/nobr] = ;)

[nobr]:([/nobr] = :(

[nobr]:0[/nobr] = :0

[nobr]:P[/nobr] = :P

[nobr]:x[/nobr] = :x (you will probably use that one when describing Astaire ;) )

[nobr]:D[/nobr] = :D

[nobr]B-)[/nobr] = B-)

[nobr]:|[/nobr] = :|

bhf1940

Danny:

George and Gracie really did love each other. George, I believe, made weekly trips to Gracie's grave. She died in 1964(?).

I have a couple of his books and he often refers to her in them. It was true love.

There weren't too many movies but they did very well in radio and later in TV.

Me

I've been reading up on the two, found some really cute quotes:

"...and she knew everything. The only thing I ever felt guilty about was a telegram we got in vaudeville. It was from Flo Ziegfeld, and he was out front, and that was one of the nights I blew smoke in Gracie's face and he hated my guts. So he sends me a cable saying, 'I'll pay $200 for the dame, $100 for the act.' I never read it to her. I told her it was from some of the boys at the Friars Club. Before she died, I said, 'Gracie, I got a confession to make. Remember that cable we got that time in vaudeville?' And she said, 'You mean the one from Ziegfeld?'" - George Burns

Also, the words "Together Again" are engraved on she and George's stone at the cemetary in which they are buried. She is buried above him because George "wanted her to have top billing."

Thanks for taking an interest, Chris... I enjoy watching them all the more after reading about them.

Thanks for that story about George & Gracie , bhf - that was really sweet.

Did any of you see The Purple Rose of Cairo tonight? It's a Woody Allen film about a character in a movie that falls for someone in the audience and steps out of the film to meet her. In the end, she's back at the movies, watching Fred and Ginger dance with the same dreamy expression we all have and you just know she is hoping he will step out of that movie and ask her to dance! It's a funny/strange movie (well, it's Woody), but that last scene really stole my heart!

Thanks for the Smilies, Danny. You know me well.... :x for FA is a MUST !

Police Force, that is great, Danny....GOOD LUCK and I Wish You Well.

I saw "Three Little Words" for the first time ever (on TCM) today...:X :X :X FA is gorgeous and the songs are superb. The only thing is...I wish there was more dancing from FA. Well, I will watch it again tomorrow and then with friends on Sunday before our marathon of FA movies next week ! I have to get my daily FA fix :;

FA :X :X :X Just trying it out you undersatand !

Kind regards,

Oooops, sorry...used capital "X".

I will try once more with your patient permission !

FA :x :x :x

I know most of you have been there, but just a note about the thread on Ginger in Hot Topics. Some great posters and pictures there. You know, I love her almost as much as Fred.

Howdy, all you FA fanatics! It's a beautiful day in NC today, I hope it is just as lovely where ever all of you are. Looks like you got :x down, Julie! I knew you would like that one ;)

Hi there, BIRDY! Hope you are doing well... Thanks for the tip about the Ginger thread.

I was just curious, does anyone know how many times FA was slapped in all of his movies? Maybe it is just the movies I have seen, but looks like it was a common plot occurrence! And were there any other stars that FA was good friends with off-screen?

Ginger was really good at slapping FA ! I can only think of the two slaps in "Top Hat" (the second one on was a whopper !) and the one in "Roberta" (as shown on Your Tube). Unless I missed a slap in the movies I have. I would also like to know the answer to Danny's question ! :( How could any woman even think of slapping FA is beyond me !!!! :x

Kind regards,

Julie

PS: Danny, I adore :x for F !

Without doubt QA will be able to answer this question: what size shoes did FA wear ?

Kind regards,

Julie

Thank a mil, Ayres.

I was on the verge of a few tears when I saw that photo. Who is Sid ?

Kind regards,

Julie

Sid Grauman was the owner of Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, home of many premieres and famous for its forecourt with the footprints and handprints of many stars in the concrete. Performers often thanked him for asking them to immortalize their signatures in concrete in front of the theater.

I'll e-mail you a photo of my visit there.

It's a great icon of old-fashioned Hollywood glamour... not so much because of the touristy aspect of it nowadays, but because of the premieres they would have there back in the day.