Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

A few weeks ago I saw the clip of "Puttin' On The Ritz" on youtube and Fred just blew me away with the accuracy of his cane and taps blending in harmoniously with the song. I've never been fortunate to see "Blue Skies" but it must be great.

Fred's routines just blow me away and every time I watch them I appreciate more and more the hard work, timing and mastery of his art in every step.

I think TCM airs Blue Skies from time to time so hopefully you get to see the whole movie one day.

What do I love about Fred? Everything, everything, everything. The way he could deliver a snappy line, the deadpan looks, the dreamy quality he imparted to every move . I love his smooth, fluid dancing, his tuxedos and top hats, and his clear singing voice. I've read (probably from Ayres!) that a lot of songs were written for him specifically because he didn't have a large range; but I love his voice. I can understand every word and I often go to sleep at night to it! My favorite pairing is with Ginger. I think her great acting ability is what made him seem so desirable. He's not my type in reality at all, but in my dreams I wear a feathered dress and twirl around and around with him. One of my favorite images is in The Gay Divorcee, when he finished the dance and her dress just swirls slightly around his leg. Sigh. I would love to have a still of that exact moment to hang in my home!

Double sigh.

"Men don't pine. Women pine. Men just...suffer."

Nice to hear alot of Astaire admiring going on in here! ;) Alot of people talk about the way Fred Astaire sings, how it's not good enough... I agree with you, I love his voice! For what he wanted to get across on screen, he had the perfect voice. And the cutest smile - second to only one other smile in my book.

My favorite vocal by him will always be "Cheek to Cheek."

bhf1940

fgs-gay.jpg

sch200302101128-001.jpg

The best I could find is a little on the small side, Birdy, but at least it's something. The other photo is of him and Claire Luce dancing "Night and Day" from the original stage version. I've always liked it because of that steamy glance he's giving her. (She was a Ziegfeld Girl and quite the bombshell, but I prefer Ginger.)

I've been gone for a week, my Fred-Friends! I love to talk about Fred and Ginger and all my favorite moments from their movies. That's probably what I'll be watching New Year's Eve! (There's another thread debating that topic!) Thanks for the great pictures and fun!

Here's question for you - I'll bet Ayres is who'll be answering! I've been trying for years to figure out what Alice Brady's character says to Gingers's in The Gay Divorcee when she is trying to convince her to go through with the plan with the co-respondant. She says, "Think of .......................! Think hard!" Fill in the blank, my friends!