Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

I have heard of Grauman's Theatre and the many famous names "cemented" on the pavement...but I never heard of Sid. Boy, it was really nice of Mr.Astaire to thank Sid ( I wonder how many more stars did that ! ). I will be looking forward to your thoughtful gesture re: e-mail, Ayres. Many thanks.

Watched "Three Little Words" again and I was premature in saying that FA did not dance a lot in this film...he did ! I simply adore "My Sweet Tennessee" song. It must now rate as one of my favourite FA movies. :x

Kind regards,

Julie

Well, I went to an auction the other day and picked up a box of cheap cassette tapes. One of them had a song on it by Fred and Adele Astaire ("fascinating Rhythm")... It was funny hearing Adele's voice since I have only seen pictures of her! Has anyone else heard her sing?

Hi BHF---I was just curious what you thought of last night's Gene Kelly documentary?? I thought it was very good and I'm sure everyone enjoyed the parts with Fred.

Miss G

Hi Miss G!

I didn't catch the documentary on Kelly, but I did record it. :) So I'll check it out tonight, it has been recommended to me on several different occasions so I am sure it is lovely. I heard it told his life story accurately, which is nice. I'm looking forward to the parts including FA and perhaps some parts that might include info on GK's relationship with Garland.

You know, it was my first time viewing GK's For Me And My Gal. I really liked it and sort of sympathized with Kelly's character. I thought it was funny how they changed the plot around and made him a hero, though... Since the audience did not like him being an all out cad! I would have to agree, of course. I would, just once, like to see the movie the way the writer's originally meant for it to play out. That would be very interesting.

Couldn't help but watch Summer Stock again, last night. lol "Heavenly Music" always makes me laugh until I cry. ;) I felt sorry for Gene and Phil. :P

Ps... QA! Thanks for the link... I thought Adele had quite the nice singing voice. :)

BHF---For Me and My Gal reminded me strongly of Pal Joey. Since Gene didn't get to play it on screen it seems like MGM gave him a "substitute" with a similar, caddish character.

Have you seen Gene in Marjorie Morningstar? It is a similar character he plays, but with much more depth and not the typical ending. I hope TCM airs it.

Miss G

Hi !

Was this documentary on an American TV channel only ? I have not seen any FA or GK bio's on the Biography channel or any other of the 180 odd ones over the pond (so to speak). I would be delighted if any channel were to screen bio's on FA, GR and GK and I would record them, ofcourse.

TCM showed "Belle of NY" again today....yes, I was glued to the screen as usual :x

Kind regards,

Julie

PS: I was wondering if any of you marvellous fans have a problem in remembering which songs come from which movies....I have a terrible time with them and I do not know why. Maybe it is because I play so many films every week, but there again....that should help not hinder my memory cells !

Hi Julie! Hope you are doing well... Gee, what time is it over there right now? I know I usually see you get on around 11:00 PM here. Forgive me for being nosey, I just think it's cool talking to someone across the ocean ;)

The Documentary on Kelly was called Anatomy of a Dancer, and it was aired on TCM US. I've never seen a FA bio, either... I did see a short once that highlighted some parts of his life, I even have it on dvd. I really wished they'd play Belle of NY over here!

I sometimes have trouble with the songs, but I go online and download all the lyrics. :) I love to sing the songs! I have been singing "It Only Happens When I Dance With You" all day long!

So who will be watching Easter Parade on Easter? *raises hand*

Miss G, I will most certainly watch out for the GK film you mentioned! I've never even heard of it so I will be looking it up...

Danielle

Julie,

I don't think you are going to see anything on FA in the way of a documentary in the near future, due to restrictions by the Astaire estate.

The closest thing you might see is the documentary piece on Ginger and Fred in the new DVD ultimate collection set of their musicals together. Occasionally Fred is discussed within other documentaries or biographies on other people.

It's too bad there isn't one on Fred. He deserves a biography piece all his own!

R.

I enjoyed the GK bio - he was so handsome. (Pardon my momentary infidelity, FA). I was wondering - what is the French painting he acted out in the Dance movie and what is the act where he is in the French bar and his dance partner dies? Is this the same dance as in Can Can? B

Hello, Danielle !

I really hope that TCM will show a Bio on one of the three I am looking forward to.....soon !

"My Sweet Tennessee" has been in my brain all of yesterday and today...love it !

As for "Easter Parade": I play once a week ! :x FA and JG made such a lovely couple and it was a pity that Judy could no longer be her normal self as otherwise, I am sure, there would have been a few more films with them.

I tried amazon in order to get "Roberta" (either DVD or VHS Region 2) but with no luck. Same problem with "Yolanda".

Please can you remind me why "Let's Dance" has never been shown on TV ? The Tube have an interview with an American actress (sorry, I cannot remember her name) who said that FA could not get on with Betty Hutton at all and that the poor girl suffered with weight-watching and was unpredictable. If that is the case, BH must be a rare exception of FA disliking someone and saying so.

It is nearly 11.00pm GMT and I will go and put "Shall We Dance" on....love Petrov/Peters (Peter P.Peters) and the roller-skating scene. Right, I am getting cold turkey without my daily dose of FA ! :x

Kind regards,

Julie

BIRDY, it's OK to have a wondering eye for Gene Kelly! ;) Last night, all you FA fans would have been ashamed of me, lol! :x

Yay! Easter Parade is my favorite FA film, Julie! :) Oh, I just love it... I love when JG sings to FA at the end. *tears up* I love the Roller Skating scene in Shall We Dance and especially the song they sing in that scene. Makes me smile the look on FA's face when GR say "urrrsters". Ever notice that? Looks like he is about to laugh! :x

[nobr]By the way, I'll post a favorite pic of FA with GK in honor of GK being the star of the month...[/nobr]

[nobr]*all smiles*[/nobr]

[nobr]untitled.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]This, of course, with Judy on the set of my personal fave The Pirate ;) [/nobr]

I was wondering - what

> is the French painting he acted out in the Dance

> movie and what is the act where he is in the French

> bar and his dance partner dies? Is this the same

> dance as in Can Can?

[nobr]If you mean the one pictured below, it's from a Toulouse Lautrec painting and if I remember correctly, the dance is a variation of the "danse apache".[nobr]

[nobr]normal_JS1566778.jpg[nobr]

[nobr]> I was wondering - what[/nobr]

[nobr]> is the French painting he acted out in the Dance[/nobr]

[nobr]> movie and what is the act where he is in the French[/nobr]

[nobr]> bar and his dance partner dies? Is this the same[/nobr]

[nobr]> dance as in Can Can? [/nobr]

[nobr]> [/nobr]

[nobr]If you mean the one pictured below, it's from a

Toulouse Lautrec painting and if I remember

correctly, the dance is a variation of the "danse

apache".[/nobr]

[nobr]normal_JS1566778.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]Miss G:[/nobr]

[nobr]This is a really stupid question involving that scene! :) Is he suppose to be naked there? lol! What's up with that? That body colored suit just always looked a little odd to me![/nobr]

[nobr]Good Lord, I hope both of you are talking about the same scene I'm thinking of icon_redface.gif in An American In Paris... Hee hee. Love the pic, by the way! [/nobr]

[nobr]ps... To quote a post while keeping the margins straight you must put "nobr" before and after every individual line of the quote, since it is not really a paragraph. Other than that, your post would have been perfect ;) [/nobr]

Ooops ,lost my post !

What does the Astaire Estate prohibit and who is actually controlling it ? I am bemused (nothing new there !). Books have been written about FA, so did they have to be "vetted", too ?

Yep, Gene does look "fleshy" (nearly "flashy" ala "Hair"-like !) :D:D

Kind regards,

Julie

Julie,

Fred Astaire's estate is controlled by his widow and she is very particular about where her husband's image is used. The restrictions she places on the use of his image and film clips is sometimes too much for a documentary producer to deal with and hence, they leave him out of many things or don't bother using his image at all. I have heard when used, his image can be very $$.

Hopefully, he will not be forgotten in the context of his place in entertainment history. I can see he will not be forgotten as long as there are people like those on these boards that continue to praise his work and admire him.

R.

Thanks for the explanation, R.

Yes, I can imagine that the FA image would be very dear in more ways than one. If that was the gentleman's final wish then it should be treated with respect and his widow is doing that in her own way. However, since I do not know of that side of the matter, I feel unable to understand how his dancing can spoil his image when used in the right context (such as well-thought out Bio's etc. except, as you pointed out R,....the need to be wary in case of having to fork out a lot of dough) .Sorry about the vernacular in this instance. The Tube has an excerpt of some ad. with FA using a vacuum cleaner...that is, indeed, in very bas taste.

Let us all hope that reason will prevail and that FA will always be remembered for his artistic accomplishments and the pleasure he is still giving to those who appreciate his genius through the art of film.

Kind regards,

Julie

Thanks, BHF, for the clarification on spacing---I'm still getting the hang of it!! :)

I think Kelly is dressed that way because that is how Lautrec painted the figure, and, presumably, he painted a real dancer who was actually wearing those light colors.

I agree it looks rather suggestive! But, remember, this was Paris. ;)

Miss G

Hi, everyone! Here is the Toulouse Lautrec image that Kelly was representing:

[nobr]458px-Lautrec_chocolat_dancing_in_the_%27irish_american_bar%27_1896.jpg[/nobr]

Found the following info:

"The Irish and American Bar was described as an English bar where truly hardened drinkers would silently sit lost in contemplation of the bottles. The barman (seen standing to the left) Randolphe, was known as Ralph. A half-breed Chinese and American Indian born in San Francisco, he displayed Asiatic dexterity in mixing special cocktails. In the smoke and hubbub jockeys, trainers, grooms and horse dealers jostled with pompous coachmen whose employers would be dining at one of the smart restaurants nearby.

"The famous Negro clown called Chocolat (seen here dancing) was a devotee of this unpretentious smoky establishment. After his performance at the Nouveau Cirque, he would go there to quench his thirst with his partner (Footit). Occasionally Chocolat would dance? Lautrec was frequently the last client to leave the bar when closing-time came" (Dortu p.190, 193)

[nobr]> Thanks, BHF, for the clarification on spacing---I'm[/nobr]

[nobr]> still getting the hang of it!! :) [/nobr]

[nobr]lol, Aren't we all? I've never posted on a message board where posting can be so trivial and difficult.[/nobr]

[nobr]Thanks to both you and QA for clearing it all up for me! That's great - I never even knew that scene was taken from that image. Gosh, aren't musicals just the most wonderful and ingenious films? [/nobr]

[nobr]458px-Lautrec_chocolat_dancing_in_the_%27irish_american_bar%27_1896.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]normal_JS1566778.jpg[/nobr]

[nobr]It's incredible how close they got the scene to the original![/nobr]

You're welcome! :)

That ballet sequence in An American in Paris is ingenious. The documentary on Kelly had some very interesting points made about it (including shot comparisons of the actual paintings to the scenes, similar to what you've done in your post); so I hope you get to see it soon.

Miss G

You know, I was going to watch that last night... And just couldn't help it. It was out of my control! I had recorded that Van Johnson movie (The Romance Of Rosy Ridge) and it was just sitting there. ;) But tonight, I've recorded nothing so there shouldn't be anything holding me back from it.

Van was just too tempting. :D I'll tell you what I thought of it here, I'm sure Mr. Astaire won't mind.