Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bobhopefan1940

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

We are missing are Danielle :( :( :(

Any chance of a photo from "The Sky's the Limit", QA ? I just love that film and think that FA's acting is superb. I also like Joan Leslie in her role as "Joan".

Kind regards,

Julie

After doing much research to see if Fred ever truly named his favorite dance partner, the only thing I could find regarding Barrie Chase, is from a 1973 interview. In it he says that Chase "is perhaps the best dance partner I ever had." He also states, "Barrie Chase is the best partner - she's the latest partner that I've had, and believe me, that girl has got it - that girl can dance." So, nothing really definitive, but the closest he ever came to actually naming a real favorite.

Well, if that were true, there would be all kinds of quotes with him being polite about Cyd Charisse, Ginger Rogers, Vera-Ellen, Eleanor Powell, Judy Garland, etc. They don't exist. He wasn't asked about his favorite in that interview, he volunteered it.

Hi Julie!

I know I haven't been posting much :( It has been a rough week with mid-terms but I have yet to make under a hundred on a test or essay :) So that's good! I'm kinda one of these people that study wayyy too much... I think it is a personality trait.

I hope you are doing well and keeping up with your Astaire viewing, I know I have. I've been showing a friend of mine some of my FA movies and she loves him. I watched Swing Time again and really forgot how adorable he was in that :x ! Have you gotten the chance to view Roberta yet? I think you would really like it... I wish r1 dvds would work over there!

Danny :)

Danny it's great to have you stop by once in a while if other RL stuff is keeping you busy. As always, best of luck with all present and future endeavors! :D

Thanks for the photos of FA & JL, QA.

I love it when Joan asks him if he has ever been told that women are attracted to him and the way he answers "No !" Oh,really ? But that would be FA anyway, nevermind Fred Burton/Atwell being the modest man.

Kind regards,

Julie

Hi !

Hope that the weather is better in the States than it has been over here ! No sooner do the Spring dresses come out...yep, you guessed correctly ! Today the sun came out and is still sending us it's rays of hope....please let it last for more than one day B-)

Are we having another quiz shortly ? I do hope so.

I have watched "Shall We Dance" three times running and find it more appealing than ever. I just love it when FA says: "Peter P. Peters" and GR looks at him then raises a wry smile. The "oysters" bit is marvellous as is the click FA gives after "The honeymoon is over" farewell. His smile must be the best any man has ever had...gorgeous. WOW ! ;) Any photos from the last scene, QA ? Please !

Kind regards,

Julie

Hi, Birdy !

I like the two characters that FA & GR play in "Shall We Dance"...they feed off each other and FA looks like a naughty little boy in some of the scenes. He is soooooooo cute ;)

Why do you think that "The Barklays of Broadway" is sad, Birdy ? Josh and Dinah re-unite and she realizes how much she loves him. At least Ginger got to dance "They Can't Take That Away From Me" which she wanted to do in "Shall We Dance" but in the latter in ended up as just a song. The one thing that I find a little disconcerting is how muscular GR looks (atheletic would be more polite). As for FA...well, he was 50 years old and had a few more wrinkles and bags under his eyes BUT still looked gorgeous as far as I am concerned ! ;)

Tomorrow I shall put on the "Carefree" DVD (again) just to watch that slo-mo kiss that seemed to last for ever but only really lasted a few seconds ! I would have made deliberate mistakes in order for more re-takes !!!! ;)

I am still hoping for TCM to screen "Roberta" ! It is the only FA & GR film I do not have. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! :(

Hope to chat again soon.

Kind regards,

Julie

I'll have to hit the books and do some scanning to find pix of the last scene of Shall We Dance, but here are a couple of those impish expressions from earlier on:

[nobr]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/nobr]

Many thanks, QA for all the info.

No, I have not seen a single clip from "Roberta" and it is sooooooo frustrating ! :(

I am looking at my weekly TV Guide and TCM (and Cinema 1 & 2) for any films starring THE most sexy guy that ever walked on planet Earth, oh: and danced on it, too ! ;)

Kind regards,

Julie

I missed Yoland this time but am looking forward to a couple of other treats this month. And I think I'm in the mood for Flying Down to Rio. "Coming right up..."

Thanks for the quiz - I'm embarrassed I couldn't get more but at least I got some!

It doesn't mean I'm not loyal, Fred!

b

I have on my schedule (sorry for any inconsistencies) that one of Fred's films are coming on tomorrow night, 11:30 PM:

You'll Never Get Rich, 1941

I know nothing about it and was wondering if it had been mentioned here before (?).

Hello To One and All !

Danny, you will love "You'll Never Get Rich". FA is really lovely in it (particularly sporting a towel and a hat with a weighty metal ring inside it to make him heavier in order to get in the Army) ! I think his bare legs are soooooooo cute ! :x There is that famous "palm tree setting" staged for a lovely singing/dancing bit with Rita: gorgeous song and ever so romantic. ;) A FA in uniform is extra special (as if that were possible !) :x

Kind regards,

Juie

hello danny,

you'll like, "you'll never get rich". it is a very cute movie, but then all of fred astaire movies are too cute. im not paricularly fond of rita hayworth but freddy makes up for it with all his marvelous scenes. and i agree with you Juie, freddy's bare legs are too cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not my favorite of Astaire's (or even Astaire and Hayworth's) but it definitely has its moments. Very romantic when they go out dancing near the beginning (before he humiliates her for Martin's sake), and I have always particularly liked the moment where he asks her for another chance, just after he has pretended to be a captain.

"Sheila, I'm sorry about what happened in New York. I'd like to start all over again. Would you do that?" Something about the way he asks that thrills me.

One thing I've always found interesting about this movie is that his rival (John Hubbard) is such a nice guy, and not bad-looking, either. But of course, I'd still take "Private Robert Curtis."