Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

Yeah, that's it. It came on the other day. I caught it near the beginning and thought "that puppet looks like Fred Astaire."

So i checked and yeah, it was him all right. Mickey Rooney's voice was used for Kris Kringle. I gotta say though, the show didn't hold up well at all.

bhf and Jon--I'm guessing that you are both younger than me. Santa Claus is Coming to Town was a staple of holiday tv viewing in the 1970's and '80's. It also features the voice of Keenan Wynn as the Abominable Snowman. One of my very favorites as a kid, as I liked Fred and Mickey Rooney even though they were both before my time. It is readily available on dvd, bhf--check it out.

Sandy K

> bhf and Jon--I'm guessing that you are both younger

> than me. Santa Claus is Coming to Town was a staple

> of holiday tv viewing in the 1970's and '80's.

Sandy - Nope! I know how old they are! (Unless they start subtracting like I do, then it all gets very confusering.) Isn't it fun that there's always more to learn about our favorite actors and films? Some of you are so savvy, I wonder if there are ANY movies you haven't seen! Then I learn about all these movies that are in storage and I know there will always be new surprises for all of us!

I don't really have a favorite Fred non-dancing partner, how about a favorite Fred line? "Frosted chocolate? Benedictine? Quottrol? Marriage?"

> Sandy - Nope! I know how old they are! (Unless they

> start subtracting like I do, then it all gets very

> confusering.)

I'm quite willing to be as young as Sandy thinks I am. I saw the show many times as a kid, but I probably didn't know who Fred Astaire was back then. It wasn't until I saw it the other day that the light bulb went on in my head.

I've had a lot of fun watching the Christmas special shown every year. Fred did an amazing job and the clay animators molded his character well. "The Little Drummer Boy" features Jose Ferrer doing the voice of Ben Haramed.

Ayres - Cyril Glossop! Of course! I can't believe I have been trying to figure that out forever! You don't know how many times I've rewound that spot!

All age jokes aside - I thought that claymation character was Bing for a long time before my classic film days. Is there one of those stories with Bing? Now I'm confused!

> All age jokes aside - I thought that claymation

> character was Bing for a long time before my classic

> film days. Is there one of those stories with Bing?

> Now I'm confused!

I don't think so. There were four Christmas specials: Frosty the Snowman with Jimmy Durante, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with Burl Ives, The Little Drummer Boy with Greer Garson, and Astaire in "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town."

For the record, I am not a fan of any of them.

:D What happened to this thread? I leave for just over an hour and the thing shoots up to over sixty posts... Let's see, what did I miss?

I will definately check out that Christmas special with Fred, though there never was one with Bing I don't believe. :(

I don't know how old Mr. Parker is, but I imagine I am younger than most everyone on this site... If not younger than everyone else. I haven't been watching classic movies for very long either, I think I started in August. So while most of you may lie about how young you are, I lie about how old I am ;) I wonder how long before I start doing it the other way...

I love passing Fred Astaire questions around, but I have to think about my favorite quote... I do like the most famous one from Top hat "Alls fair in love and war and this is revolution."

My mother said it looked like Fred Astaire wore a toupee, but I don't think he ever did. But what do I know, I never thought Bing did.

>>

> I will definately check out that Christmas special

> with Fred, though there never was one with Bing I

> don't believe. :(

>

I don't think there was either - but as a child, I know I thought that was Bing! I really didn't grow up watching old movies - I started collecting them when I was hanging around a used book store on jazz and coffee night - now I'm hooked. I didn't even know there was such a thing as TCM, it just fell into my life when I got satellite after we moved to the country and put up with only one channel for 2 years! Gotta go - I'm trying to finish a Wodehouse novel by 7. "Well, you just say 'peanuts."

> Birdy, I love P.G. Wodehouse! Which book is it?

It is, "He Rather Enjoyed It". It was really funny - I wish they had made movies of all his books, don't you? I was trying to read a Wodehouse a week but I'm having trouble keeping up. Maybe I'd better make it a Wodehouse a month! There's a couple of great websites and a whole Wodehousian society thing but I haven't invested emotionally yet.

bhf1940:

If you go to today's Washington Post (washingtonpost.com) you will find an article on the Bing Crosby/David Bowie song "Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth." It talks about how the song came about and a little of the Christmas special they made about a month before Crosby died.

Also, earlier in the thread someone did post a picture of Fred and said it was without his toupee.

Chris

Chris:

Thank you, thank you. I'm heading right over to washingtonpost.com to check out that article... Anything on Crosby I'd like to take a look at.

I don't know how I missed the pic of Fred, but sometimes posts they do slip by me ;) I'll go back and find it... Would like to see it.

'Preciate the info,

bhf1940

I feel like such a goof! :P I don't know why, it's just hard for me to tell... Thanks for the photo, Ayres... What helpful Fred-fans we have here! I haven't had the chance to look for the original photo in this thread, I've been too enthrauled with the article Chris told me about.

I know I must have heard that song before when I was younger and not familiar with Crosby, but I haven't heard it this year. Never heard that story either... What fun!

This is the same photo I posted earlier, bhf--I think the source I posted before had some kind of coding to intentionally make it impossible to have the photo show up somewhere else. Finally I found the same photo on a different site.

Isn't it interesting that the hairpieces men used to wear in pre-1960s days look more convincing than the ones they have worn since?

>

> Isn't it interesting that the hairpieces men used to

> wear in pre-1960s days look more convincing than the

> ones they have worn since?

I've noticed that, too! It was a real craft back then, a real industry, in fact, just supplying wigs and hair pieces to the Hollywood film factory. It's a dying art now, which is why we have such fake looking hair pieces, sometimes even in the biggest-budget movies.

I'd like to add that makeup has gone the same declining route. The makeup artists who work on the actresses today should be fired. I can do better myself (I've been doing makeup for 15 years) and I find the difference between the perfection of the golden era makeup application and today can be measured in light years.

Miss G

Isn't it interesting that the hairpieces men used to wear in pre-1960s days look more convincing than the ones they have worn since?

Obviously, I would agree! :P I can't tell... The surgical hairplugs are also much less convincing than the hairpieces worn in earlier times. Plus the hair pieces were modest... It didn't give the one wearing it a full head of hair. It was realistic.

On a different note,

I saw Roberta for the first time last night and loved the first dance sequence between Fred and Ginger. The dancing was lovely as ever, but I loved the fact you could hear them laughing during the number... Also, it didn't look like the taps were dubbed.

I hope you don't think this question is odd, but why don't the two kiss during most of their films? Or at least the ones I have seen... I know they kissed in Top Hat, but it seems like they would at least kiss at the end of the film. I don't know, that's probably a stupid question!