Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~ The Sand Man ~ (Fred Astaire Favorites)

It's not at all a stupid question, and I'm delighted that you asked it.

Astaire tended to avoid "mushy love scenes" as he called them, for a combination of reasons--because he was happily married, I think he was just uncomfortable with them (I don't believe the publicity of that time, which claimed his wife disapproved--though I think she may have been a trifle jealous of Ginger), and he believed that they were superfluous after the sensuousness of the dances.

Fan magazines were clamoring for the two to really kiss (none of this behind-the-door or comical moment stuff!), and Astaire finally obliged in Carefree, after the beautiful slow-motion dance to "I Used to be Color Blind." It's quite a kiss, too! In the screening room it lasted even longer because it had been filmed in slow motion, and Fred's wife Phyllis teased him, "Did you say you were going to make up for all those kisses you missed? Well, you certainly did!"

Also, good perception about Roberta: The numbers were recorded in real time on the soundstage.

Thanks for you kind reply, Ayres!

I didn't know that about Carefree, but am disappointed none the less. I tried to record it last time it was on Turner and something happened with the film... It would skip every one to two minutes, so I never in fact got to see it. :( Maybe they will play it again... Thanks for taking the time to explain!

pintorini,

You are really going to like Roberta, I think. I thought it was a great Astaire/Rogers movie!

bhf1940

Bobhopefan1940: if you can afford it, Costco has the Astaire Rogers 10 film set with the extra CD and documentary on sale for around $62. That is less expensive than Amazon (and you don't have to pay shipping!).

The quality of the remastered DVD's of each film is really terrific. I can highly recommend it.

Then, you can watch Fred kiss Ginger in all its digital glory!

Costco, eh? I've been thinking about getting that set... But I have most of the other movies. I would love to see them in the best quality, as you say that it is good with that set.

Certainly something I will think about! I actually don't think that amount of money is that bad, thinking about what some dvd sets cost these days... Thanks for your personal oppinion on seeing it. Amazon doesn't make you pay shipping? I didn't know that... eBay can kill you with the shipping!

Thanks,

bhf1940

BHFan,

Costco often has great deals on box sets of classic films and tv series.

Their price is often below Amazon and other retailers.

And they have had a wonderful selection of classic films and boxed sets of classic films this fall.

On another note, I wish that the James Bond box sets were in chronological order. Would have been a great gift for Mr Cutter, but alas, no deal.

Is Costco an actual store or a website? I think I've heard of it and thought it was a store - but we don't have it around here. That's a great price - I still haven't bought the set but think I NEED it.

B

Fred's on fan in my township ( pop. 4)

Hi BIRDY!

I thought like you, Costco was a store. I don't have any around my area either... Atleast none that I have seen. I was thinking the next trip I take to the mountains I'd run into one. They might a have a website, if so I'll post the link by editing this post.

~Danny

re:

http://www.costco.com/

Message was edited by:

bobhopefan1940

I'll use this post to talk about "Swing Time" which I saw for the first time last night. I couldn't believe the way those avoided kissing! How obvious it must have been to audiences... I've heard this was the best of the Astaire/Rogers musicals but I almost felt disappointed after watching it. I don't know what it was, perhaps if I view it again I'll have a better feel for it. I thought the sets were incredible... Wow! And it had one of my favorite Astaire songs in it, "Never Gonna Dance." I still can't say it compares to Top Hat...

Was probably one of my favorite scenes of them meeting, with the quarter...

Message was edited by:

bobhopefan1940

My favorite song from Swing Time is "A Fine Romance." I downloaded it to my iPod. :)

GINGER:

A fine romance, with no kisses.

A fine romance, my friend, this is.

We should be like a couple of hot tomatoes.

But you're as cold as yesterday's mashed potatoes.

A fine romance, you won't nestle.

A fine romance, you won't wrestle.

I've never mussed a crease in your blue serge pants.

I never had the chance.

This is a fine romance.

A fine romance, my good fellow.

You take romance. I'll take jello.

You're calmer than the seals in the Arctic Ocean.

At least they flap their fins to express emotion.

A fine romance, with no quarrels,

With no insults, and all the morals.

You're just as hard to land as the Ile de France.

I never get the chance.

This is a fine romance.

FRED:

A fine romance, with no kisses.

A fine romance, my friend, this is.

True love should have the thrills that a healthy crime has.

We don't have half the thrills that "The March of Time" has.

A fine romance, with no clinches.

A fine romance, with no pinches.

You never give the orchids I send a glance.

No, you like cactus plants.

This is a fine romance.

I finally got the pic, too! If I had to pick a favorite Astaire movie - it would be Easter Parade. I think Fred and Judy had great chemistry together - and it's kind of nice to see Peter Lawford *not* get the girl.

Julie

YES PLEASE....a Fred Astaire thread !

What a genius ! I love every movie he ever appeared in. For those who think Gene Kelly was better...think again ! There will only ever be one master of dance. A gentleman, debonaire, graceful, great comic timing, great singing, great acting and GREAT DANCING.

There were a lots of Gene Kellys but NEVER another Mr.Astaire. Let us not forget who came first. Gene Kelly was inspired by the Master, unfortunately he did not have the grace and feet of feathers that maked Mr.Astaire the epitomy of elegance. Gene kelly said that if he was the Marlon Brando of dancing, Fred Astaire was Cary Grant. How true.

I can watch him all day and never get bored because I see different gestures etc and appreciate Mr.Astaire even more.

My favourite movie...no way can I answer that: ALL his movies were great. His presence made them great.

We have to thank Mr.Astaire's daughter, Ava, for maintaining decorum that he would no doubt be very proud of when speaking of her beloved father. Thank you Mrs.Ava Astaire-MacKenzie.

Want to see more DVD's available in GB ("Three Little Words"; ""Yolanda and the Thief"; "Roberta"; ...infact all his films).

Come on...let us start a Fred Astaire thread with discussions, info, photo's etc.

Kind regards,

Mifty

Hi Mifty!

Welcome to this gathering of Astaire fans! Glad you think Astaire was better than

Kelly, because I am with you all the way. If you can't find one Fred film you love

the most, mention many! What about a specific moment? A particular song? A

favorite picture of Mr. Astaire?

Since starting this thread I have learned much, much more about this wonderful

fellow... And unlike with some other actors/performers; the more I learn, the more

I love him!

Welcome to the boards, by the way! :)

bhf1940

Thanks for the welcome, bhf1940.

I have a great deal of scenes that make me laugh or are just a joy to watch. For example: the dancing under the influence from "Holiday Inn" (apparently Mr.Astaire had 9 shots of whiskey before the final take); the dance with Judy Garland in her feathered dress (a take-off on the "Cheek To Cheek" with the famous dress that Ginger wore in "Top Hat")...this has me reeling with laughter every time I watch it; the lovely romantic dance in "The Vernon and Irene Castle Story" where Vernon turns up in uniform, in slow-mo it looks like a ballet; the endearing "Castle Walk" in the same film; the phenomenal Swing Waltz in "Swing Time"; the perfection of the ballet-like Dancing In The Park with Cyd Charise in "The Band Wagon" (let me say that I have watched this 57 times and in slow-mo found not a single step wrong ! A musical note,yes); "Putting On The Ritz" from "Blue Skies"...that cane tapping:phew ! I can go on forever and a day, but will leave it for some other time.

It is unfortunate that I cannot get all of Mr.Astaire's films here in the UK. I would love to have every picture he appeared in, but DVDs or VHS (Region 2) present a problem; some are available on VHS but only for Region 1 and the rest cannot be found as DVDs.

Another major problem is this: books about Fred Astaire. I have not got a single one. I have been told that they are out of print. How I wish I had "A Step In Time" and "Fred Astaire:The Dancer,The Man" etc. I know very little about him except that he used to dance with his sister and his first film was with Joan Crawford (as himself); nothing about his children except Ava (who is a marvellous lady). Alas, I may strike lucky one day and find a book.

Mr.Astaire had great acting ability right from the start. Economical with his gestures, but a raised frown could say it all. "On The Beach" and "The Towering Inferno" proved that even without those feathered-feet, his presence as an actor was a easy going as his dancing.

Well, I have much, much more to say about the GREAT Mr.Astaire, but will leave it it and hope to hear from bhf1940 and any other of his fans.

Kind regards,

Mifty

Hiya, Mifty! I'd be more than happy to answer any question you might have about Mr. A, but I also wanted to let you know about a couple of great places to look for out-of-print books:

http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&y=15&kn=astaire&x=34

Many of the OOP books about Astaire also turn up on ebay fairly often, and I think you can even find used book prices on Amazon.

Thank you, Ayres, for the information re: OOP books on Fred Astaire. I shall visit the sites very soon.

Just finished watching " Carefree " for the upteenth time !

Do you have any favourite Astaire movie ? What about his dancing partners ? Was Ginger such a fantastic dancer or was there that special chemistry that made them look so great together. I am not saying that she was not a good dancer, but had she gone on without him...well ! Fred Astaire could dance with any partner (including a coat-stand !).

I really would love to start this Fred Astaire thread going !

Kind regards,

Mifty