Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sep 2, The Falcons-All 11

ElCid

Starting at 6:15AM ET on Sep 2, TCM will be showing all 11 of The Falcon movies.  If you have not seen them, this is a chance to become acquainted with them.  George Sanders began them and when he decided to quit, his real brother Tom Conway assumed the role.

Each is about 60 to 75 minutes long.   I particularly like The Falcon...And the Coeds; ..Out West; ...In Mexico; ...In Hollywood.  Also The Falcon Strikes Back.  The familiar face in that one is Harriett Hilliard, better known as Mrs. Ozzie Nelson.

• Like 4

Actually, RKO made 13 Falcon films...so this means two of them are not airing on September 2nd. Missing from TCM's upcoming schedule are the ones from 1946-- THE FALCON'S ALIBI and THE FALCON'S ADVENTURE.

After RKO ended the series, it was revived by an independent producer who made three more in the late 40s with John Calvert. One of the Calvert titles is on Amazon Prime and kind of fun to see-- APPOINTMENT WITH MURDER.

Actually, RKO made 13 Falcon films...so this means two of them are not airing on September 2nd. Missing from TCM's upcoming schedule are the ones from 1946-- THE FALCON'S ALIBI and THE FALCON'S ADVENTURE.

After RKO ended the series, it was revived by an independent producer who made three more in the late 40s with John Calvert. One of the Calvert titles is on Amazon Prime and kind of fun to see-- APPOINTMENT WITH MURDER.

Correct.  All 13 are available on two DVD sets.  Very good quality, but there are no extras with them.

• Like 2

Starting at 6:15AM ET on Sep 2, TCM will be showing all 11 of The Falcon movies.  If you have not seen them, this is a chance to become acquainted with them.  George Sanders began them and when he decided to quit, his real brother Tom Conway assumed the role.

Each is about 60 to 75 minutes long.   I particularly like The Falcon...And the Coeds; ..Out West; ...In Mexico; ...In Hollywood.  Also The Falcon Strikes Back.  The familiar face in that one is Harriett Hilliard, better known as Mrs. Ozzie Nelson.

Calvert was a magician by training who lived to be 102. When he was about 98 (and still performing) his son did a documentary on him covering a very interesting life:

Calvert was also a pilot who survived a weather-related crash of his own plane.

He captained a yacht across the Pacific to perform in Asia, which is where he met his wife, and supposedly escaped from pirates (I'd guess in the Strait of Malacca).

He was the technical advisor for the tricks Jack Palance performed in The Silver Chalice. After the film flopped at the box office, Calvert offered star Paul Newman his condolences. When Newman became a star after Somebody Up There Likes Me, Newman playfully reminded Calvert of this.

• Like 1

Calvert was a magician by training who lived to be 102. When he was about 98 (and still performing) his son did a documentary on him covering a very interesting life:

Calvert was also a pilot who survived a weather-related crash of his own plane.

He captained a yacht across the Pacific to perform in Asia, which is where he met his wife, and supposedly escaped from pirates (I'd guess in the Strait of Malacca).

He was the technical advisor for the tricks Jack Palance performed in The Silver Chalice. After the film flopped at the box office, Calvert offered star Paul Newman his condolences. When Newman became a star after Somebody Up There Likes Me, Newman playfully reminded Calvert of this.

Yeah...some of these guys were much more interesting off-camera than they were on camera.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings