Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As much as I love TCM, it had 1 of it's weakest "SUTS?"

Now before some jump on this, I know the network needs certain "Summer Under the Stars' months to give credence to other "stars' such as Ralph Richardson, Roddy McDowell & others, not exactly all-time heavyweights though.

However, there are only a handful of a-listing stars covered this month?

Not exactly in the same league as previous months a decade ago

I think the programmers are trying to bring more diversity to these "star" offerings. I welcome it, because it would get repetitive if it was always Clark Gable and Bette Davis. 

This also allows us to see stars from different studios and eras. 

• Like 2

I think the programmers are trying to bring more diversity to these "star" offerings. I welcome it, because it would get repetitive if it was always Clark Gable and Bette Davis. 

This also allows us to see stars from different studios and eras. 

("Eras" was right under "Clark Gable", and I misread it for a second.)   :P

It sounds to me like "suds".

Really? I think it just sounds like a made-up word, which is what most acronyms with vowels are.

Of course, the issue is how do we pronounce it-- with a short 'u' or a long 'u'...LOL

Personally I think it's a great SUTS. While I wouldn't say the stars chosen are my top favorites (and Im a bit disappointed in the Foreign language Star) there are a lot of rarer films on the schedule that aren't in regular rotation. I've managed to see so many films I haven't seen before this month and that to me makes a great Summer under the Stars.

Maybe my favorite since 2011 which had a Jean Gabin day (still my favorite SUTS day)

• Like 3

Personally I think it's a great SUTS. While I wouldn't say the stars chosen are my top favorites (and Im a bit disappointed in the Foreign language Star) there are a lot of rarer films on the schedule that aren't in regular rotation. I've managed to see so many films I haven't seen before this month and that to me makes a great Summer under the Stars.

Maybe my favorite since 2011 which had a Jean Gabin day (still my favorite SUTS day)

Interesting comment, Kinokima. Maybe that's what we should be asking people-- to name all-time favorite SUTS days.

Women

I loved the day TCM set aside for Marion Davies in 2008. Despite being in the TCM/Turner library, most of her titles are seldom seen, and she's never been a Star of the Month.

I also liked the Mary Boland day a few summers ago. And this year's tributes for Fay Wray and Anne Baxter.

Men

I like it anytime they feature Marlon Brando, since he's never been Star of the Month.

The day featuring Woody Strode movies was good, because he worked with so many big stars and directors.

I also enjoyed the Lee Tracy tribute very much, because he's sort of neglected by film historians.

The Gabin day is my favorite 'I didn't know anything about this actor' SUTS day.     Of course I like seeing my favorites but being exposed to someone I wasn't aware of is a lot more interesting especially when one discovers such a gem like Gabin.

• Like 4

Now before some jump on this, I know the network needs certain "Summer Under the Stars' months to give credence to other "stars' such as Ralph Richardson, Roddy McDowell & others, not exactly all-time heavyweights though.

However, there are only a handful of a-listing stars covered this month?

Not exactly in the same league as previous months a decade ago

Perfect example of what TCM has to deal with:

How many threads about the "overplayed" actors and "overplayed" movies do we see on the first page of this board ? How many times have fans complained that they show the same stars over and over ?

"Why can't TCM play more films with my favorite (obscure, little known) actor/actress ?" 

Then, TCM tries to expand and give some exposure to lesser known actors in a showcase such as SUTS and sure enough, now someone complains about "Why can't TCM play the big stars ?"

:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Perfect example of what TCM has to deal with:

How many threads about the "overplayed" actors and "overplayed" movies do we see on the first page of this board ? How many times have fans complained that they show the same stars over and over ?

"Why can't TCM play more films with my favorite (obscure, little known) actor/actress ?" 

Then, TCM tries to expand and give some exposure to lesser known actors in a showcase such as SUTS and sure enough, now someone complains about "Why can't TCM play the big stars ?"

Apparently, it's a no-win situation.

• Like 1