Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
darkblue

Zabriskie Point (1970)

TCM has scheduled this Antonioni movie for later in the year.

Not that it's a great movie or anything, but I believe it's one that TCM has refused to run in the past, so this is what I would call a wonderful development.

• Like 1

I thought I HAD seen it on TCM, but not sure now.

It had a BIG build-up when it came out, and I never got around to seeing it then, but I do recall that many years later when I finally did, I was SO disappointed I try to FORGET I ever wasted my time sitting through it.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I thought I HAD seen it on TCM, but not sure now.

It had a BIG build-up when it came out, and I never got around to seeing it then, but I do recall that many years later when I finally did, I was SO disappointed I try to FORGET I ever wasted my time sitting through it.

Critics hated it too, back in 1970.

Getting a fair bit of re-appraisal now. It's risen about 10 points these past couple of years in IMDb's ratings - up to about a 7.2 last time I checked and garnering some very much more laudatory comment than in times passed.

• Like 1

Zabriskie Point could get a split vote of 10 out of 10 for cinematography, 1 out of 10 for script and the utterly untalented non-professional leads.

• Like 1

I love Zabriskie Point.  I was a bit indifferent when I first saw it in 1981, but watching it again a few years ago I was transfixed by it.  It is stunningly beautiful and the amateurishness of the leads really works for it, in my opinion.  I think the critics were stuck on it being a foreigner's take on things he didn't really have first hand knowledge of, but looking at it today, when it all seems  so foreign and long ago, a foreigner's take seems appropriate.  I hope they get a good copy, but the regular dvd really looks amazing.  I think if you go in with moderate expectations, you might be pleasantly surprised, particularly in light of what a spectacular failure it was considered at the time.  I don't know why TCM wouldn't show it.  They've certainly shown much racier-- I Am Curious (Yellow) anyone?

• Like 1

Zabriskie Point could get a split vote of 10 out of 10 for cinematography, 1 out of 10 for script and the utterly untalented non-professional leads.

Don't forget the music.

• Like 1