Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nessa

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HOLLYWOD NEW VERSION OF GRETA GARBOs painted vail

Hello everybody

As a YOUNG european movie historian I must express my opinion.

few remakes can be as good as the originals ,sadly hollywood lacks of creativity in this period.

personally I think neither Miss Naomi Watts or anyother actress could bring the emotions magnificent GRETA GARBO was able to gave us in each role.

hope the production will focus on the script and try to make a nouvel product.

to mention a fascinating 70s french actress Isabelle huppert (MADAME BOVARY,BRONTE SISTERS,LA PIANISTE, L ivresse de puvoir 2006)could have been the only female actress to portrait GARBO,now she is her 50s with a tremendous allure,so loved in france,with a sensitivity few actres her generation got,not to mention her little resemblance with GG.

SHE WILL BE PERFECT TO PORTRAIT A FILM about GARBO S RECLUTION, SO AS TO SAY, period.

in my humble opinion Greta Garbo belongs to a mytical breed .the amazing CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD ICONS noone will be able to replace.

let s wait & comment about this new remake.

Merry Christmas.

No one can replace la divina, Garbo, but your idea of a movie with Miss Hupert sounds intriguing. I am not as familiar with her work as of some other French actresses.

Wasn't The Painted Veil also remade in the 50s with Eleanor Parker and George Sanders? Sanders was good in the George Brent role, I remember.

Have you read the Somerset Maugham tale it is based upon? I wonder if this latest version will follow the story closely.

Welcome to the forum!

Miss G

MGM remade The Painted Veil in 1957 with Eleanor Parker and retitled it THE SEVENTH SIN. I believed this remake flopped at the box office.

The Painted Veil (1934) as a vehicle for Greta Garbo wasn't, in my highly subjective opinion, a great success artistically for Garbo, Herbert Marshall or George Brent--though, rumor has it, George fell head over heels for La Garbo during this film. I am delighted, though not really surprised by the appeal or durability of W.Somerset Maugham's stories, and this one, which, I understand, Edward Norton has pushed to have made for some time, looks promising, since it was actually filmed in some of the real settings for the tale. Btw, the book, which was first published in 1925, reflected well known scandals and incidents among the Brits living in Hong Kong during that period.

I think that Garbo's Painted Veil suffered from productioncodeitis, since she had to pay for her sins over and over. She also suffered through a couple of scenes set in Hong Kong in which she had to wear some of the goofiest clothes and hats that Adrian ever dreamt of for the star, including one "beanie" that made her look like the world's tallest organ grinder's monkey. I like Garbo, but not those designs, Adrian.

The Eleanor Parker '50s version of The Painted Veil, called The Seventh Sin (1957) was much truer to the book, dealing in a more complex fashion with the relationship of the married couple (Bill Travers & Parker) and including more of a fourth prominent character of a British n'er do well who has learned to love living in the Chinese culture. He was played quite subtly by George Sanders. Sanders is unmannered and very far away from Addison DeWitt and far more human in this film than almost any other Hollywood product that he ever appeared in prior to this movie. Parker, who could be quite an effective actress as she was in Of Human Bondage, Caged, Scaramouche and Detective Story, was fair, though she indulged in a bit too much heavy breathing for me at times.

I think that Isabelle Huppert would've been good in this role as well, but as long as we're dream casting, I'd love to have seen a Julie Christie or a Dominique Sanda in this part most of all. Ah, at least we can dream.

thank you for the welcome I DO ALSO THINK garbo is unique,

Well my dear new friends thanks for answering.

About ISABELLE HUPERT maybe you can check Madame Bovary by iconic director CLAUDE CHABROL.

you ll fall in love with Mrs.Huppert performance.

BIZZZZ!!

THANKS SO MUCH YOU ARE MOST KIND

ITS GOOD TO FEEL WELCOME. ive been a member but never posting.

hope we can keep in touch.

AND AS YOU SAID LA DIVINA IS UNIQUE!!

A WARM EMBRACE

NESSA

A very accurate review,thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Your options for that role are pretty interesting too.

my choice will be isabelle huppert anyway.

but sadly hollywod is becoming a huge nursery .plenty of so called-improvised-child actors & actresses with no respect for the acting career.

About Adrian s gowns for GRETA,I agree with you 50% xoxoxoxo.sometimes when you are so fond of an actress career and the people sorrounding her you lost perspective.

changing subject to watch Garbo portraying Joan of Arc would have been magnificent.

Mercedes De Acosta as far as I ve read in her autobio & women in turmoil was supPosed to be for Garbo & ONLY Garbo, GG wanted it. but Salka Viertel was such a huge influence at that period in Greta s choices. we missed that amazing role portrayed by la divina.

NO DOUBT that play was a failure on stage potrayed by EVA LE GALLIENNE in France.

it s always a pleasure to share thoughts with brilliant people.

friendly

Nessa

hope all is well with you

may you have a merry xtmas.

> but sadly hollywod is becoming a huge nursery .plenty

> of so called-improvised-child actors & actresses with

> no respect for the acting career.

I think Naomi Watts is a fine actress, probably one of the best around today.

She's also breathtakingly gorgeous.