Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The TCM Challenge Voting Booth

It won't be easy, but if you've been a member since November 1, 2006, vote for one of these incredible weeks' schedules created by our three Challenge veterans. If you don't wish to vote in public, then send me a private message and your vote will be tallied anonymously. And, the nominees are:

Sugarpuss:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7858920

Kyle:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7855779

Filmlover:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7859238

(scroll down on these pages until you see their schedules)

The deadline for voting will be December 17 midnight (PST).

Edited for more direct links to each schedule (thanks Jack).

MattHelm

I agree -

great job all around well thought out and delivered but my vote goes to

filmlover

for the really obscure titles chosen. That's a schedule that gets me excited! (Though I would have preferred lesser know Bogart titles!)

Yancey

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

Mr. Helm,

This is the most difficult pick of all the challenge votes. The three submissions are excellent...a lot of thought went into creating each schedule.

The goal of "all Warner Brothers" for a week is...well, impossible to pull off. Yet, Filmlover produced a week of programming. I love Warner Brothers' movies. I watched "Naught But Nice" this morning and I said to myself (this morning), "I love Warner Brothers movies". I would watch most of Filmlover's week.

Wait...there's more.

Kyle's schedule is terrific...very clever. And I learned the meaning of Richie's middle name...is that bit of trivia true? Hey...TCM...send to my television a week of Kyle's movies...okay?

More...

My pick is the Sugarpuss schedule and...I will tell you why. Yes, I have watched many of the movies on his/her schedule. The Sugarpuss programming is Sugarpuss favorites. I like the idea of personal, "movies I like to see" programming...so, I pick Sugarpuss schedule.

Rusty

jarhfive wrote -

...I learned the meaning of Richie's middle name...is that bit of trivia true?

Yes, Rusty it is true. In the television series, Richie Petrie had the middle name of "Rosebud" which stood for Robert Oscar Sam Edward Benjamin Ulysseus David.

Thanks for the good words. I appreciate them greatly.

Kyle In Hollywood

FSS, Founding Member

Rusty and Kyle,

I wonder if Richie's middle name was a reference to Citizen Kane and the innuendo that "Rosebud" implied, and that they may have chosen it to metaphorically and 'innocently' sophisticate the depiction of the nuclear 50s family. I can just picture a grown Richie realizing what his middle name implied, and cutting his parents off.

Not to worry Mellomovieman, this usually happens during Oscar month on TCM. There are still close to 300 films from the 30s, 40s, & 50s on the schedule to satisfy the die hard movie buff. Many of the newer 'R' rated films are on in the wee hours of the night.

By the way this subject has been discussed on two other threads on the boards.

As usual all three challenges are first rate and were difficult to choose from.

With that said and since I'm a sucker for Warner Bros. films, I going to choose Filmlover.

There are many of my favorites in the selections throughout the schedule.

jarhfive wrote -

"...I learned the meaning of Richie's middle name...is that bit of trivia true?"

Kyle wrote -

"Yes, Rusty it is true. In the television series, Richie Petrie had the middle name of 'Rosebud' which stood for Robert Oscar Sam Edward Benjamin Ulysseus David."

I can add one more tidbit of trivia to this tangent. That is that the original name of the character "Richie" was to be "Robbie". Mary Tyler Moore's son (in real life) was named Richie, and she kept mistakenly calling "Rob" "Richie". It was finally decided they would just change the character's name.

And now, back to the voting booth...

MattHelm -

I can be "thick" sometimes.

I have no doubt that "rosebud" was chosen as the "middle name" to intentionally reference "Citizen Kane" on the television show. Given how the story leads to its "climax" revealing the meaning of Rosebud, it mirrors the film's "plot line" in that respect too.

There were many allusions to films and film history on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" so it makes sense that "Citizen Kane" could be used as an inspiration. It was a "detail" that would enhance the episode for some viewers but wasn't so integral that being ignorant of the reference would ruin the story for unaware viewers. (In the same vein, When Rob refers to an image of Abraham Lincoln as "the real Raymond Massey", as a young viewer, I think I knew Massey was an actor and could "2 and 2" together to assume Massey played Lincoln at some point. It was much later that I learned of the film "Abe Lincoln In Illinois".)

So, are you saying "Richie" would be upset "Rosebud" referred to a sled. Or are you thinking the writers also knew what "Rosebud" referenced in the life of Wm. Randolph Heast? That I highly doubt.

Or am I reading something else into your comment that isn't there?

Kyle In Hollywood

FSS, Founding Member

Well, I completely forgot that voting ends today. For some bizarre reason I thought we had another week.

Anyways, this one was TOUGH. I loved them all and would love to see all three schedules as I would be glued to TCM for three weeks.

That said, I have to go wtih Filmlover. Warners is my favorite studio and his schedule highlights the history and some of the best of the Brothers Warner.

Congrats to all and I look forward to the next Challenge!

Like lzcutter, I actually thought there was another week to vote! This month is going by way too fast.

I love both schedules that filmlover and Kyle churned out. They're both fantastic and well-thought out and personally speaking, I KNOW how hard it is to do a well thought out schedule. These things are tough to do. You're actually a little crazier by the time you finish.

My pick for the winning schedule though is based on the Star of the Month selection. And while I do love filmlover's choice of Bogie, I have to go with Kyle's use of Ernest Borgnine. That man is seriously underrated and plus, I'd be going around all month amusing myself by yelling, "Linda! You killed her! The only person I ever loved! Liiiiindaaaaa!" So my choice is for Kyle's schedule.

~PS: Confidential to Rusty--I'm a girl! At least the last time I checked, I was. ;)

Two more PM votes were cast last night, 1 for Kyle and 1 for filmlover.

And the results are:

Filmlover - 7

Sugarpuss - 3

Kyle - 3

Congratulations filmlover, you're the next chairman of the board. Congratulations also to sugarpuss and Kyle, and much thanks for your hard work and incredible schedules. You've all raised the bar on expectations for all future Challenges. And thanks to all the folks who voted, there's nothing more rewarding to participants than the praise and acknowledgement of their peers.