Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ANIMAL HOUSE

Palmerin

My only positive impression of that ,,comedy'' (!!!!!!!!!!) is that Belushi would have been perfect as one of the gang of Jimmy Conway in GOODFELLAS whom JC whacks in order not to pay them their share for the Lufthansa heist; otherwise I absolutely regret the money and time that I wasted on that offal.

My only positive impression of that ,,comedy'' (!!!!!!!!!!) is that Belushi would have been perfect as one of the gang of Jimmy Conway in GOODFELLAS whom JC whacks in order not to pay them their share for the Lufthansa heist; otherwise I absolutely regret the money and time that I wasted on that offal.

And now, a word of rebuttal to the above expressed sentiments....

giphy.gif

Y'know, in retrospect, I don't think of it as "high comedy" either.

But when we all went to see it( a group of us who hung out together a lot back then) it was because we were all SNL fans and really dug Belushi.

We didn't know if it was intended as a spoof of the time period's social mores,  or of the whole fraternity scene or just college in general, and really didn't care.

A lot of what are now "iconic" comedic scenes though...

"FOOD FIGHT!"

"I'm a ZIT!"

"TOGA!"

"Is it supposed to be that soft?"

BRUCE McGILL busting up that folksinger's guitar.

TOM HULCE feeling up that girl who passes out drunk and leaves him holding a handful of tissue.

"Legs up" dead horse in the dean's office.

Sepiatone

As much as I like this comedy-classic (***1/2-out of 4tars) I slightly prefer "The Blues Brothers" (l980) (4 stars!) & it cost a $bundle$ too-(all those cars,etc) & only made $54m.

Anybody recall the short-lived & AWFUL tv series "Delta House?" It's sole bright spot was "Marvelous Michelle Pfeiffer" was in there

(TRIVIA: John was always meant by Dan Aykroyd to be in Bill Murray's role in "Ghostbusters")

Anybody recall the short-lived & AWFUL tv series "Delta House?" It's sole bright spot was "Marvelous Michelle Pfeiffer" was in there

That was awful ! I do remember all those numerous "frat house" movies that followed all through the 80's, mostly duds (I did love Porky's ).  

(TRIVIA: John was always meant by Dan Aykroyd to be in Bill Murray's role in "Ghostbusters")

I heard that Eddie Murphy was to be the token black guy but, he was busy.

Y'know, in retrospect, I don't think of it as "high comedy" either.

But when we all went to see it( a group of us who hung out together a lot back then) it was because we were all SNL fans and really dug Belushi.

We didn't know if it was intended as a spoof of the time period's social mores,  or of the whole fraternity scene or just college in general, and really didn't care.

A lot of what are now "iconic" comedic scenes though...

"FOOD FIGHT!"

"I'm a ZIT!"

"TOGA!"

"Is it supposed to be that soft?"

BRUCE McGILL busting up that folksinger's guitar.

TOM HULCE feeling up that girl who passes out drunk and leaves him holding a handful of tissue.

"Legs up" dead horse in the dean's office.

Sepiatone

wasa't it belushi who busted up the folksingers guitar?

wasa't it belushi who busted up the folksingers guitar?

"(shrug)....Sorry."

It helps to have seen The Blues Brothers before Animal House (which our generation couldn't) to appreciate that John Landis is as much one of the stars of the movie as Belushi.  When Belushi as Jake Blues finally takes off his sunglasses and tries to charm gun-toting Carrie Fisher with Those Famous Career-Making Eyebrows, you can his comic timing doing it as Bluto.

Any other lesser comic would have turned Animal House into, well...Hollywood Knights, or any other of its cheesy proto-Porky's imitators, but the golden age of SNL had taught Belushi how to play his character as a living human Chuck Jones cartoon character.

And Landis, fresh off of Kentucky Fried Movie, and not yet at American Werewolf in London, was just on the cusp of his "odd" timing for humor gags.

sepiatone

Legs up" dead horse in the dean's office.

And the background-business janitor who comes in to clean up with a chainsaw--

Edit scene immediately to....the cafeteria.   :)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings