Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How many actual Geniuses were ever in cinema?

spence

People throw the word "genius" around too much maybe, especially when it comes to the movies

But, who truly are the handful of true cinematic "geniuses' in motion picture history

For me & by far #1 is *Chaplin  & only a handful more, but you fans pick your own???

THANK YOU :D

After *Charlie I'd also cast my own personal votes for  *Welles, *Kubrick-(NOTE: Although I rank *Ford as the best film director ever)

Hitchcock, *Brando-(& again, my #1 idol *"The Great: Spencer Tracy" is my pick as all-time finest movie actor)

But, often "genius" depends on other things of course

In The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas (written of course by Gertrude Stein), Alice makes the following statement:

"I may say that only three times in my life have I met a genius and each time a bell within me rang and I was not mistaken, and I may say in each case it was before there was any general recognition of the quality of genius in them. The three geniuses of whom I wish to speak are Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso and Alfred North Whitehead. I have met many important people, I have met several great people but I have only known three first class geniuses and in each case on sight within me something rang. In no one of the three cases have I been mistaken."

Gertrude Stein, played by Kathy Bates, is a character in Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris; Picasso has some connection with a few films.

It's easy to tell.......

If you love a particular actor's or director's work, then he's a "genius".

If you don't, then they AREN'T!  :)

Then again, in both film AND music, some confuse "ingenious"  with "genius".

Sepiatone

Let's not get carried away! There are no geniuses in cinema, maybe just a few wise guys. I don't recall Einstein or Stephen Hawkings being in movies

Respectfully disagree. I think we do have geniuses in the movie business. It takes a certain type of skill and talent to do this type of work successfully, and only brilliant people can to do it well for years on end. Even Einstein or Hawkings, with all the intelligence in the world, might not be able to pull it off.

Let's not get carried away! There are no geniuses in cinema, maybe just a few wise guys. I don't recall Einstein or Stephen Hawkings being in movies; merely, there is a lot of critics with massive egos who take themselves way too seriously.

Hawkings wishes he was an Einstein, he has lately said some pretty dumb things. But i agree, no geniuses in the movies, and it only got worse.

:D

There's a scene in the movie  AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS in which Billy Crystal refers to some director as a "genius".  Stanley Tucci, as a studio suit blurts out, "There was only ONE "genius" in show business.  SENOR WENCES!  A little lipstick on his hand( and he emulates Wences' fist puppet with his hand), a tiny wig and he has a career for 65 YEARS!"

Sepiatone

Let's not get carried away! There are no geniuses in cinema, maybe just a few wise guys. I don't recall Einstein or Stephen Hawkings being in movies; merely, there is a lot of critics with massive egos who take themselves way too seriously. It's just entertainment people! Just a bunch of people getting way too overpaid for not working but plainly doing kindergarten work. If you are set on finding geniuses, I would say these would be definitely found amongst the people who work the electric department and those that built majestic sets. Maybe...

and let's not forget the plastic surgeons who gave all these stars we love (and hate) their faces, the very ones they came to be known with. Without plastic surgeons Hollywood would be nothing.

ETA: I can't believe sheeple buy into the Meryl Streep hoax. She downright sucks and hard. Worst actress now living. Ruins every movie! Hate her!

Yes,  let's not get carried away! 

Let's not get carried away! There are no geniuses in cinema, maybe just a few wise guys. I don't recall Einstein or Stephen Hawkings being in movies; merely, there is a lot of critics with massive egos who take themselves way too seriously. It's just entertainment people! Just a bunch of people getting way too overpaid for not working but plainly doing kindergarten work. If you are set on finding geniuses, I would say these would be definitely found amongst the people who work the electric department and those that built majestic sets. Maybe...

and let's not forget the plastic surgeons who gave all these stars we love (and hate) their faces, the very ones they came to be known with. Without plastic surgeons Hollywood would be nothing.

ETA: I can't believe sheeple buy into the Meryl Streep hoax. She downright sucks and hard. Worst actress now living. Ruins every movie! Hate her!

Gee, I got to get a hold of that plastic surgeon who did Greta Garbo.LMREO

Just out of curiosity are there any actors or actresses that you like?

Or do you just hate everybody in Hollywood, then and now?

Gee, I got to get a hold of that plastic surgeon who did Greta Garbo.LMREO

Just out of curiosity are there any actors or actresses that you like?

Or do you just hate everybody in Hollywood, then and now?

Well in the 'hate on Bette Davis' thread these actresses were mentioned in a positive light:  ",,,, Angela Lansbury, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Jean Harlow, Olivia de Havilland, Gene Tierney, Myrna Loy, Claudette Colbert or even Guinn Williams in lipstick and a wig.".

(I assume the mentioning of Guinn Williams was in jest!).

When it all comes down to it, there weren't many geniuses in Cinema. The ones that are called geniuses are just people that are really good at their craft and what they did for a living.There is a difference between being a genius and just being good at what You do. The people in Cinema put in a lot of hard work to get where they are today. Key word is hard work.If you dig deep enough, you would find that most people who became the greats of Cinema actually had rough starts to their career. Many of them had less than desirable jobs before making it big. Others were lucky enough to have parents involved in show business. Most Film Stars had to start somewhere,and the majority of them had to start from the bottom up to get where they are today (or when they were alive, if they are dead).

So in closing,many of these "geniuses" are really just people who put in lots of hard work. They do it because that's what they enjoy. In Cinema,its not about being smart, it's about having skill and talent to be able to make it in film and in Hollywood.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings