Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Groundhog Day: The Musical

Swithin

I've never seen the film Groundhog Day, but today, at the Old Vic in London, I saw a new stage musical based on the film. It was a big production and enjoyable, though I wasn't wild about it. It is after all by definition repetitious, and the music is so-so. Good production numbers, though, and a pretty good cast.

It did get some excellent reviews. I'm posting this because it may be of interest to fans of the film. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37104824

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/aug/18/groundhog-day-tim-minchin-bill-murray

• Like 1

I thought the film was a musical ... all I kept hearing was "I Got You Babe" and the "Pennsylvania Polka."

:lol:

Haha good one!

My first viewing of this was with an old bf who was a filmmaker. He pointed out what a brilliantly cheap film that was to make: same sets/same costumes/same lighting & camera angles with similar scenes filmed with just minor changes of dialogue. Then, edit it all together to create the illusion of daily progression of the storyline.

A thin story, but cute for it's repetition/progression.

Why, why why anyone thinks it's strong enough for the stage, I'll never understand. And all the savings from having the "same" scenes goes away when you constantly have to change the sets for a performance.

Since today's movies have run out of story ideas, the stage has become even bleaker. What's next? NIGHT OF THE HUNTER-the musical? MASH the musical? 

I thought the film was a musical ... all I kept hearing was "I Got You Babe" and the "Pennsylvania Polka."

:lol:

Haha good one!

My first viewing of this was with an old bf who was a filmmaker. He pointed out what a brilliantly cheap film that was to make: same sets/same costumes/same lighting & camera angles with similar scenes filmed with just minor changes of dialogue. Then, edit it all together to create the illusion of daily progression of the storyline.

A thin story, but cute for it's repetition/progression.

Why, why why anyone thinks it's strong enough for the stage, I'll never understand. And all the savings from having the "same" scenes goes away when you constantly have to change the sets for a performance.

Since today's movies have run out of story ideas, the stage has become even bleaker. What's next? NIGHT OF THE HUNTER-the musical? MASH the musical? 

Mash the Musical LOL!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings