Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tipsy robert osborne

Hahaha! I don't know, personally I've always find Robot (not a typo!) to be stiff and stilted, rather than drunk/loopy. Call me a troll too if you like, but I'm entitled to my opinion. He uses the same hand gestures EVERY TIME he introduces a movie, and his facial expressions are pretty limited too. Botox? 'Cause I saw some old Private Screenings from years ago and his face seemed more expressive then. His smile used to be wider & more natural too. I wouldn't be surprised if he's had some work done to smooth away the wrinkles (I mean, c'mon, all those Hollywood types do!) and unfortunately, making the skin that taut severely limits your ability to smile and, well, move your facial muscles.

If you think he's drunk 'cause he stumbled over his lines, I've seen him do that before and I think it's just, y'know, everyone flubs a line sometimes. But I'll have to pay more attention to his intros now and see if he's been celebrating the holidays too heartily. ;) Maybe he's drinking out of depression over the decline of TCM's programming. ;)

Not 74 yet, but if I get there, I think I'd rather be able to smile REAL BIG and convey how I'm feeling, than be a mannequin. :)

So he's 74?! Wow. He *must* have had work done then. Nobody that age has such a smooth, unlined face!

(P.S. I know it's kinda mean to gossip, but if people can start celebrity gossip threads for modern-day stars, I figure it's more on-topic at least for me to speculate about someone who's actually *on* TCM. ;) Besides, as with all celebs, he put himself out there in the public eye, so he should be expecting public scrutiny. I'm guessing he'd rather have people talking about how smooth his skin is, than how wrinkly. :P)

Call me a troll too if you like, but I'm entitled to my opinion.

I wasn't calling davidff a troll because he posted an opinion. And if you read ANY of my posts to the likes of brad and Mr. Parker and Mr. Sage, you would know that this particular subject is all I go on about, i.e., the right to freely post opinions here.

But to even insinuate, much less in a first time posting, that Mr. Osborne might be drunk when he is filming his intros is not an opinion, it is an inflammatory insult. The man has a particular stilted gait and is not the most polished in his speaking. But hey, even the dope in the Head Office can't use the English Language.

Ergo, davidff is a troll.

And yes, you are more than entitled to your opinion. Especially about the decline of TCM's programming.

dolores

Stoneyburke, for what it's worth I agree with many of your posts about TCM's programming. I'm sure many who disagree with us about that, could accuse us of posting "inflammatory insults" and of being trolls as well though. (the term "troll" is so often misused I wouldn't dare to label anyone that way, y'know?) Whether we call something an "opinion" or a flaming insult is also a matter of opinion, isn't it? :) Oh I dunno, it's 6 am and I haven't slept for 2 days, so don't believe anything I say. ;)

Anyway, now that I've learned Robert Osborne is actually 74 years old (!!!), I'm thinkin' his stiff movements might be due to arthritis! Poor guy.

If anyone remotely thought Osborne was not at his best (much less in any other condition) I can't imagine they would put the intros on the air.

They certainly aren't done live. So there would be plenty of time to redo them in the almost impossible chance that anything was wrong.

Thanks stoneyburke. :) On the bright side, maybe sleep-deprivation leads to Really Deep Thoughts. ;) Or is it more like, I can't sleep 'cause I can't turn off my brain? Hmmm. I've always been a light sleeper and can't-stop-thinking-about-my-worries-toss-'n-turner, but TCM's definitely messing with my schedule too...sometimes I have to go to bed at 8pm (but can't always fall asleep that early!) in order to wake up for a whole bunch of rare old movies starting at 3am and going on til noon (ie: upcoming Van Heflin day...I look forward to it...but I also dread it!) ...and sometimes the schedule's arranged so that I can't go to bed at 8pm 'cause The Cool Obscure Stuff begins at 10pm onwards so that I decide to go to bed at 5 or 6am. Of course, you can't really force your body to sleep & wake at command, keeping such irregular hours. And then you start to get crazy thoughts like, "why bother trying to go to sleep at all?! I'll just stay awake 2 days straight! Maybe it'll be easier!" Ooh boy, I babble when I'm tired. :P

I should probably take this to one of the many "why does TCM schedule all the rare stuff in the middle of the night/wee hours of the morn and fill primetime with DVD-available and/or modern movies?" threads. But which thread? And I wouldn't be saying anything new. And what's the use - they're gonna keep on using the primetime-more-people-are-awake-to-tune-in hours to promote DVDs and make money, 'cause that's what it's all about. Sigh.

Either move to the Eastern Time Zone where all the theme days begin at 6AM ;), or else record stuff with your VCR or DVR.

Of course, there's always the problem of not being able to find what you've recorded. I went to watch the tape I made of "One Million BC" a while back and popped the tape in, only to discover to my surprise that it was a football movie called "The Big Game". I didn't even remember having recorded it. :)

When I found the tape that did have "One Million BC" on it, it was close enough to the end of the tape that I knew I must have recorded three movies on it. I knew two of them were "One Million BC" and "Aleksandr Nevsky", but for the life of me I couldn't remember what else I would have recorded on that tape. The third movie ended up being "The Life of Emile Zola", which I also don't remember having recorded. :)

the fact that I may (or may not) be a troll doesn't matter here: the fact is in my opinion, first time post or zillionth, Mr Osborne has had one cocktail too many before going on camera. I dont think he is drunk, just a little loose. Listen to him slur his words (just a little bit) and see what you think. Oh by the way, I think he's real gay too.

Botox (or facelifts) seem like a definite possibility -- come on, he's in his 70s and looks 50s??? -- but I vote for the drinking and depressed over TCM programming.

Rocky. As if that weren't bad enough, what promises to be a bad Rocky Redux.

"Make mine a double..."

Fedya, crispycomment, back in the good old days when I had TCM, I spent umpteen hours recording and cataloging. I would cross reference by title and number in an Office spreadsheet I created.

Ah, the good old days before Cablevision and TCM colluded in an attempt to force digital cable down my throat and caused me to bite off my nose to spite my face and refuse to be blackmailed.

But you're right, crispycomment, it's work in making sure you check out the schedule, mark the movies you want to record, then being sure to record them (and being sure you have the right times, a.m. and p.m. included), and then marking the tapes, after which you have to note them in your directory. But oh, is it worth it!

dolores

Hi,

I don't think Robert Osborne is drunk or tipsy. He's 74, and even if he is 'facelifted' (?), people as they age get all kinds of ticks and muscle peculiarities.

Whether he's gay or not shouldn't affect his knowledge and who cares anyways (now-a-days it seems 'everyone and his dog' is gay) (and you're nobody unless you are).......

I would suggest that if you are bothered by tipsy, gay old men with no wrinkles, then you don't tune him in.

BTW, I'm not a particular fan of Robert Osborne - I can take him or leave him - he has made some mistakes in his information, but all-in-all, he's OK, I guess.

Larry

Davidff:

Besides all the other things he does - private screenings, discussions with guest programmers, promos, guest appearances, etc., at 74 the man travels every few weeks to Atlanta from L.A. to record the intros. I understand he does several at one time, and I have noticed a few 'slips of the tongue' and 'groping' for a word, however, in most cases his intros are smooth, spotless, and without error. If he made a batch of 5 or 6, has it occurred to you he may just have been tired? At 61 I have many 'senior' moments during each and every day, and do not have a schedule anywhere near as active as his. When I'm tired, I have a hard time remembering my own name, let alone an actors', and as for cue cards, eyes also get tired. Another reasoning is he may have taken a medication which put him off kilter for a short time and after many 'takes', they decided to just go with the flow. Finally, perhaps on the plane he did have a glass of wine, or another drink, and again if he had to take medication, he may have forgotten the drink, and it did not mix well. There may be a lot of reasons for a 'slip' now and then, but at 74 RO is to be congratulated for his onscreen work, not taunted or mocked.

If you are under 40 you obviously have no grandparents to observe and give credit to, and if you're over 40, shame on you for your insistence on 'tipsiness', and all I can say is, "Your day will come bud".

Anne

P.S. - BTW, your impression of his sexual preferences has nothing whatever, to do with the enjoyable work he does, nor does it interfere with his work, and why in the world would it matter to you, unless you plan to meet him in the near future. Your opinion of his preferences is greatly appreciated, but not necessarily relevant to these boards.

LOL poor Mr. Osbourne! I'm afraid, davidff, you knew what you were getting yourself into when you started this thread... ;) I want to post in this one before it sky rockets up to so many posts.

The fact that Robert Osbourne is a homosexual or has a few too many cocktails isn't the point at all here... It's talking about personal things you don't know anything of about a person HIGHLY respected on these boards. By coming on here and saying what you said, esp. in your first post, is disrespectful and rude (in my humble oppinion, as always). You haven't spoken to anyone on here, nor have you tried to participate in any type of discussion. Rather you have only come on here to post something unflattering about a highly reguarded person.

That's all for me... If at any time I wish there was a way to erase a thread, this would be it. What a shame.

Don't be surprised by the heated replies you get here, I'd be ashamed to call myself a part of this community if you didn't recieve any.

bhf1940

If a television star slurs his/her lines on air and I happen to catch it and go to TCM and see what others think that certainly seems to be a legit post. Stars have to be careful when they are working just like you and I (slur your words in front of YOUR boss you old prune). Just ask Judy Garland.

Message was edited by:

davidff

So it appears that over the next couple of months I'll be looking for a new apartment. Since I haven't actually rented a place in a long time, I'm a little unsure where to begin.

Any tips on what I should keep an eye on? I think I'm looking for an older building in the city, but I'm actually flexible.