Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tipsy robert osborne

I don't think he's hittin' the sauce, but I too have noticed Mr. Osborne slurring and swallowing words or parts of words lately. IMO, it doesn't take anything away from his intros/outros.

After all, Tom Brokaw wasn't drunk while delivering the news all those years at NBC. He slurs some of his consonants. And sports announcer Harry Caray used to slur ALL of his words....well maybe Harry Caray isn't the best example.

null

Beware, oh beware, of landlords who live on the premises. Especially if the building's other occupants are mostly their relatives.

They will throw loud outdoor parties until 3 a.m. every week in the summer.

They will periodically slip little notes under your door "asking" you to move your car from its designated space to create more room for said parties. Or "asking" you to give up your parking space entirely, because another "tenant" just got a new car and would like to have it.

They will "accidentally" bump into you as you are rushing out in the morning, late to an important meeting, in order to begin a long discussion about replacing your furnace. (After ignoring six weeks of pleading notes and phone messages from you, in which you patiently explain why it is inconvenient to be without heat.)

In general, their kin will treat the entire building, including public areas and your unit, as if it were theirs. If you forget to lock your back door one morning, expect to come home and find strange children careening around through your place, shrieking their heads off and throwing things.

Comparing RO to most of our national news broadcasters makes him look SMOOOOTH. At least he's not babbling off on tangents revolving around the words: I, I, I, ME,ME, ME, MY, MY, MY. I love RO - and would rather listen to him talk on and on about movies and their history than watch one more promo. I probably should jump off onto another thread for this - there's probably one going - but what is that RIP thing? That belongs on MTV or Comedy Central. Horrible. Even the December promo isn't that great. The images are wonderful, but it's almost the same background music as last month. Couldn't we have something a little more 'movie oriented'? I used to say even the promos were works of art. I guess they still are; just not my kind of art.

Jon - Whenever you walk in a place, think about whatever jumps out at you that you think you can't live with. Then don't. Or you'll live to regret it! (Speaking from experience - way to small and dark of a kitchen that I talked myself into!)

I'm assuming you speak from painful experience. I actually rented from an on-site landlord years ago, but it was an ok experience. I rented a garage apartment from a couple who pretty much left me alone and didn't **** about the music (in those days I was into loud post-punk).

I'm a bit sick of the suburbs to tell the truth. I'm going to look at an apartment in Federal Hill, which is a nice section of South Baltimore that's been fairly well gentrified. The only downside to it is that on Orioles or Ravens game days I'll have a hell of a time getting out of the city, since it's like a mile south of the stadiums.

> I probably should jump off onto another thread for

> this - there's probably one going - but what is that

> RIP thing?

In another thread tcmprogrammer said that those were intended to be shown with TCMU, and seemed surprised to find that they were popping up all over the schedule.

I think they're funny, but I can see where they might bother some people.

Well, if this isn't the most useful site??? I'm a landlady currently looking to buy my second duplex and was planning to actually LIVE in that one (rent out half)... Now I'm rethinking it, although I suppose only guilty tenants should mind much.

Jon:

I don't know if they apts in the Canton part of town but that place has really been revitalized over the last few years. New condos, shopping, restaurants. Federal Hill isn't that far away though.

Chris

P.S. You shouldn't have too much trouble getting out around Orioles' games.

Jon,

Look for the RIP "3dimensional" short. Stick around for the end credit tribute to Busby Berkeley (Esther Williams?)...I saw it last night and laughed my a** off. Really, my a** is aol...uh, awol.

What to look for? Deco...deco...deco!

Rusty

Oh come on, will TCM stoop at nothing to gain viewership back, this is anotther Troll just trying to put salt on a Sundae. Osborne is allotted a few bad takes, it may have been due to availability they used a first take. I doubt the guy is getting drunk on the set, and even if he was, he is 75 years old, I would watch the guy smoking a bong to hear his take on film history.

I don't know which disturbs more:

The original post or the number of posters here who think that Bob is drinking heavily before he goes on camera.

It may just be that RO has a illness that is none of our business that causes him to occasionally slur or swallow his words. It may be he is tired after doing a number of stand-ups back to back.

But, rather than give the man the benefit of the doubt, we (the universal we) feel compelled to do just the opposite.

I continued to be flabbergasted at the number of people who post about how much they love TCM and/or RO and just as quickly turn against them.

As another poster once said:

I'm embarrassed for TCM.

I meant to word my message differently, I was slamming the guy who thought it was done for ratings(I will not call names but man my fingers are bleeding) I slur words sometimes too, I am 44. I could not imagine being under time constraints and having to pump out the production like Robert does. I agree with the previous poster, it's sad that we are even having this on the boards.

Canton is nice, but too rich for my blood. I'd like to avoid spending a fortune on rent, since it's just me.

Federal Hill is also pricey, but I don't want to live in the ghetto. I'm looking for a balance.

And you're probably right about the Orioles games.

A little about the 'high' on life Robert Osborne.

Turner's Classic Host Robert Osborne Brings Film Gems to Life on TCM

By Adam Bernstein

Washington Post Staff Writer

Sunday, August 14, 2005; Page Y07

If Robert Osborne, the dapper host of Turner Classic Movies, were introducing his own life story, he might tell you he came to Hollywood to be an actor and wound up in the 1962 pilot episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies."

The silver-haired Osborne, so suave that he appears to glide into his entrances, had been acting in television for a few years. His mentor was comedian Lucille Ball. And he hoped to be the next Cary Grant.

Instead came "The Beverly Hillbillies," a rags-to-riches CBS sitcom about an Ozark clan that buys a Beverly Hills mansion. There was talk of a recurring role for Osborne, as an assistant to the greedy bank manager. But he left after the pilot to act in commercials for cars, coffee and insurance.

"The show itself seemed so loony and unimportant," he said. "I was sure the pilot would never sell." It became one of the longest-running programs of the era, peaking at 60 million viewers and leaving Osborne to respond: "So much for my psychic powers."

At Ball's suggestion, he abandoned acting for writing and eventually became a columnist and critic for the Hollywood Reporter, a show-business trade publication. He also has published official Oscar histories, which he updates every few years.

Osborne joined TCM just as it began in 1994, and he helps choose among the 6,000 films TCM can air. Knowing that not everyone is a film historian, his introductions often include stories that turn a classic movie into something fun. This month's "Summer Under the Stars" festival on TCM, which highlights one entertainer each day, draws greatly from Osborne's Hollywood years.

Richard Schickel, a filmmaker and Time magazine movie critic, praised Osborne: "You feel like it's not just a guy up there reading copy that people prepared for him to read. That's a good quality and increasingly rare in the television climate of our times. He's something a lot more than just a talking head."

Osborne recently renewed his contract as TCM's primary host for three more years. His hobby is now his career. "All I ever wanted to do was go to movies," he said.

Growing up in the 1940s, Robert Jolin Osborne found movies a major source of pleasure, an escape from the wheat, pea and lentil fields of his native Colfax, Wash. He studied journalism and advertising at the University of Washington and while in Seattle was spotted by a Hollywood talent scout while playing the whistling psychopath in a thriller, "Night Must Fall." He came under contract to a television production company run by Ball and husband Desi Arnaz.

Osborne's knowledge of the old supporting actors impressed Ball. He became part of Ball's small entourage, traveling to New York and Las Vegas. Sometimes the group spent evenings at her house, and Osborne, foreshadowing his work at TCM, selected movies for the group to see. Meanwhile, he said, "Desi was out chasing his girlfriends."

Knowing Ball gave Osborne insight into the loneliness of the great stars and provided a way to meet some of his favorite actresses, he said.

He once was actress Bette Davis's date to the Academy Awards. He also accompanied her to Pickfair, the estate of silent film actress Mary Pickford, where, he said, "I remember Olivia de Havilland in the kitchen talking to Rita Hayworth, and Rita was so vague. At the time, everyone thought she drank. Olivia afterward was so depressed." Hayworth, it later became known, had Alzheimer's disease. In 1977, he moved to New York and joined the Hollywood Reporter, for which he still writes his "Rambling Reporter" column.

"I turned out to be very bad as a columnist," he said, "because I would be told secrets, and I would keep the secrets. I knew Rock Hudson had AIDS long before that came out. I had a big argument with an editor about that, and I said, 'This is not a politician and not something that will affect our lives. And it's something this man wants to keep secret.' "

In his TCM interviews with former stars, he respects their privacy on personal subjects but can often get them to speak tantalizingly of their career. The raucous musical-comedy performer Betty Hutton broke a silence of many decades to tell Osborne how miserably she felt she was treated on the set of "Annie Get Your Gun" (1950). "They wanted Judy Garland, and they never let me forget it," she said of fellow cast members.

Osborne said he has a lively correspondence with viewers, including composer Stephen Sondheim, who "is wonderful about correcting my pronunciations." Another thing about Sondheim, Osborne said, unable to resist the irony, "He loves all kinds of movies except for musicals."

An elegant and unassuming man Osborne combines a startling facility with movie names, dates, and facts with the gift to tell a good story and be a gracious host, presenting a diverse selection of films on the one and only Turner Classic Movies.

C'mon you guys, it's already been mentioned in news articles that he flies to Atlanta and tape-records hundreds of film introductions every so often, if he appears less than 100% it is more likely to be jet lag and/or sleep deprivation.

Give the guy a break, he's still working well past retirement age and that's more than a lot of us will probably be able to say...

this thing "showed up on here" while I watched Osborne introduce "Murder on the Orient Express" in his suave, debonaire style with just a little hint of gin. Cheers Bob. Curse me all ya want "Sticks y'all" I know a lush when I smell it. Besides, my boyfriend thinks he's cute.

Message was edited by:

davidff

I have to ask: does anyone have a screencap or picture of Mr. Osborne from that pilot episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies"? I would love to see how he looked 40 years ago!

What a great article you found, mongo. It's fascinating to know that he was so close with Lucy. Someone should write a book on him! I know I'd read it.

Also, he's 75 years old! I've never seen the "tipsy"-ness that's mentioned in this thread, but if he feels the need to knock back a few after or before, then let him.

"He studied journalism and advertising at the University of Washington and while in Seattle was spotted by a Hollywood talent scout while playing the whistling psychopath in a thriller, "Night Must Fall."

Gee, Mongo, that must've been an interesting production of Emlyn Williams play! I'm sure that a young Bob Osborne must've brought a hint of the suavity to come to the role of the killer. Tipsy or not, if I can be half as knowledgable and charming as Robert Osborne is when I'm 75, then maybe this getting older stuff ain't so bad. Thanks a million for sharing that article. It was a pleasure to read about the unpretentious guy.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to Robert Osborne's Hollywood Reporter column which proves that the man can savor the business of show without airing any unnecessary dirty laundry, an undervalued virtue in this tawdry world:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/features/columns/robert_osborne/index.jsp

> Jon,

>

> Hoping one of these days you'll move out here to

> Southern California.

>

> No snow, some good theatres, some good revival houses

> and some history.

I've been tempted on occassion, but I really love Baltimore. On the other hand, chances keep coming up in my company for me to move to the west coast, so it could happen at some point.