Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The North Star Awful Print

rosebette

I tried catching The North Star and the print was awful, blurred and overexposed, and completely out of sync. Did decent prints get destroyed during the McCarthy era or what?

No, there is a decent print, more than decent, in fact, currently available on You Tube. Take a look at Vidiotlol's download of The North Star. It is from an Olive Films DVD release of the film, and it's a lovely contrasty image.

It's a shame that TCM doesn't seem to be able to get access to this particular print rather than that sad washed out nightmare they show.

• Like 1

No, there is a decent print, more than decent, in fact, currently available on You Tube. Take a look at Vidiotlol's download of The North Star. It is from an Olive Films DVD release of the film, and it's a lovely contrasty image.

It's a shame that TCM doesn't seem to be able to get access to this particular print rather than that sad washed out nightmare they show.

Yes, that is a shame;  What is available on You Tube should never be of better quality than what TCM is able to lease.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a side note, but I see they made a 1943 movie similar to this called "Chetniks The Fighting Guerrillas, it was done by 20th century Fox. It is about the Germans invading Yugoslavia and how they carry on the fight as guerrillas. They did not unfortunately use the top level of actors as The North Star. They do have singing children though, with a mean Nazi teacher.

Just a side note, but I see they made a 1943 movie similar to this called "Chetniks The Fighting Guerrillas, it was done by 20th century Fox. It is about the Germans invading Yugoslavia and how they carry on the fight as guerrillas. They did not unfortunately use the top level of actors as The North Star. They do have singing children though, with a mean Nazi teacher.

I'd say the key difference is Fox treated it like a B picture, while Sam Goldwyn gave it a bigger budget.

I'd say the key difference is Fox treated it like a B picture, while Sam Goldwyn gave it a bigger budget.

Yes they did, and both movies are close to being the same story. It's a good contrast to show how different actors affect a movie, as if that wasn't already obvious.

Yes they did, and both movies are close to being the same story. It's a good contrast to show how different actors affect a movie, as if that wasn't already obvious.

Different actors, different producers, different resources-- basically, different production values.

By the way, I will reviewing THE NORTH STAR as one of my essentials in November. My theme that month will be 'This Land Is Ours' and I am going to include it with OUR DAILY BREAD; THE SOUTHERNER and SALT OF THE EARTH. Its scenes of collective farming fit right in with those other pictures. 

The movie Chetniks is on youtube in a bad print, and here is something interesting. If it was released in 1943 then the main character in the movie Mihailovic was already being abandoned by the American and British as Allied powers. They were shifting support to the communist Tito who was fighting in the same country.

So this movie was already badly dated by the time is was released. Had the Allies stuck with Mihailovic then Yugoslavia might have returned to being a peaceful country instead of all the horrors they faced after the war with communism.

The North Star is the same type of propaganda, but a much better movie. The minute the world war was over though this fluffy love for the Soviets went out the window.

• Like 1

The movie Chetniks is on youtube in a bad print, and here is something interesting. If it was released in 1943 then the main character in the movie Mihailovic was already being abandoned by the American and British as Allied powers. They were shifting support to the communist Tito who was fighting in the same country.

So this movie was already badly dated by the time is was released. Had the Allies stuck with Mihailovic then Yugoslavia might have returned to being a peaceful country instead of all the horrors they faced after the war with communism.

Yes, these films are political snapshots...more than a typical 1940s time capsule.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings