Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So who's in? besides me, I'm signing up. The film noir class was great, one on slapstick comedy sounds like fun. I've always loved the Marx Brothers, it'll be interesting to learn more about them and other comedic film greats. Looking forward to it! 

• Like 1

I'm in, too. Joined the forum just to join in with the discussions. I missed out on the Film Noir class, but there's no way I'm going to miss an opportunity to 'study' Buster Keaton, the Marx Brothers and Lucille Ball.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm in for sure.  The Film Noir class was top notch, and I'm thinking this one will be too.  Let's start with Mack Sennett, Mable Normand, Charlie Chaplin and Fatty Arbuckle.  To quote Doctor Who, "Alonzi!"

I'm in! The Summer of Darkness course was so much fun. I'm really looking forward to this one, too.

OUCH! So funny it hurts.

Count me in.

I'm looking forward to the films, the posts and returning members from last summer's course.

I think this could be a lot of fun. It's funny, after I finished the Noir class I thought they might do this one next and I am glad they are.

• Like 1

After the Film Noir course last summer, I knew that I wanted to do another TCM course as soon as it was created. Saw this Slapstick course advertised and jumped at it! I'm totally on board!

• Like 1

I'm another who took and thoroughly enjoyed the Film Noir course last year. I'm looking forward to learning a lot this time round.

• Like 1

I am an ardent admirer of classic film and when I saw the Slapstick course advertisement I knew I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to learn more about film. I must profess, Slapstick is not my area of expertise (I'm more knowledgeable of the Pre-Code era) but I am eagerly anticipating the wealth of information that awaits me in the weeks to follow.

For anyone from the noir class last summer, by any chance is there a list of the films that were watched, like the schedule for the upcoming slapstick features? Sorry to have missed that one, but can't wait to join the discussion this fall and study a specific film genre.

So I'm new to this on line course (and I don't have cable so don't get TCM). The course started today and I read the first text page and watched the 44 second clip of the Lumiere film. All this too - maybe 4 minutes. Then it says the next section will be next week. What am I missing? Isn't there a video lecture?

Sorry. I'm just a newbie. (The Noir couse sounds like fun. Too bad I  missed it)

So I'm new to this on line course (and I don't have cable so don't get TCM). The course started today and I read the first text page and watched the 44 second clip of the Lumiere film. All this too - maybe 4 minutes. Then it says the next section will be next week. What am I missing? Isn't there a video lecture?

Sorry. I'm just a newbie. (The Noir couse sounds like fun. Too bad I  missed it)

Hi SteveinPhilly,

My courses run a bit different from other courses. I like to start slowly and ease in the students since we have thousands of students around the world from multiple time zones.

Basically the course is set up to be modular - in one week increments. The first week is the slowest of the weeks as I am trying to get thousands of students on the same page and signed up.

Starting next week, there are various activities:

1. there are video lectures (starting in Week 2 of the course)

2. there are going to be Daily Doses assignments - Monday through Thursday

3. there are going to be additional videos created by slapstick scholars

4. there are going to be fan panels with new topics chosen by the students

5. there are going to be content pages with information about slapstick in four different film eras,

etc.

The course is just starting - I ease into it, just like I did in #Noirsummer

Hope this helps,

Dr. Rich Edwards

• Like 5

Hi SteveinPhilly,

My courses run a bit different from other courses. I like to start slowly and ease in the students since we have thousands of students around the world from multiple time zones.

Basically the course is set up to be modular - in one week increments. The first week is the slowest of the weeks as I am trying to get thousands of students on the same page and signed up.

Starting next week, there are various activities:

1. there are video lectures (starting in Week 2 of the course)

2. there are going to be Daily Doses assignments - Monday through Thursday

3. there are going to be additional videos created by slapstick scholars

4. there are going to be fan panels with new topics chosen by the students

5. there are going to be content pages with information about slapstick in four different film eras,

etc.

The course is just starting - I ease into it, just like I did in #Noirsummer

Hope this helps,

Dr. Rich Edwards

Sure does DR. Edwards:

I noted that "Page 2" comes tomorrow (8/29).

I did have another question: When the last week of the course occurs I'll be out of town for a full week. I don't have tablet or smart phone. Will there be a few weeks after course ends to "finish it and take exam"? Is there a "drop dead" date by which you must complete the course? I know the certificate will only show me I completed something, and nothing else, but I'd like to stick with it.

Glad I found the course. Hoping you can do one on early sound musicals, like Vitaphones, TCM has a lot of those as well as musical shorts. And THAT is my real love. !

Steve

• Like 3

I am very excited for this course!!! I had such a blast with the film noir one. I am a huge fan of slapstick comedy so this should be a real treat as well! 

• Like 1

Hello All,

This is Purushotham Reddy (call me Purush) from India. Thank you TCM and Dr.Edwards for making this course possible. I enrolled for the filmnoir course last summer but could not finish it all the way to earn a certificate. Hope and look forward to complete this one for sure.

I would like to see more courses in near future on war classics, westerns and possibly on how to assess and anlyze a movie (regardless of it genre).

• Like 3

Hello!

My name is Lisa and I am from Ohio.  First time in a class like this.  Really looking forward to learning about slapstick comedy.

Another #NoirSummer alumni here. Enjoyed that course immensely, so I expect the same from this one.

Hi, This is the first time I am taking a class like this. I am looking forward to it, being a film history buff and a slapstick fan. Just this first night and the 44 second film, "The Waterer Watered" and reading the essay I have learned some things already.

Thank you for this course and can't wait for more.

• Like 1

Richard here. Looking forward to this class. To bad I missed last summer's class (any chance of a repeat?) My friend and mentor urged me into script writing first for stage, and now a film adaptation of a play. This class is going to be extremely helpful as slapstick comedy is one of my favorites.

I think this is really going to help with my future comedy writing.

Hello, my name is Rosemary and this is my first TCM class I'm taking and I'm excited to get started. I never heard about the summer noir class last year, so I'm sad I missed it, but this will be great. I love comedy, especially Jerry Lewis and Lucy!

• Like 1

Hello!

I truly enjoyed the Summer Noir experience. I'm open and ready for slapstick -- wonderful to be back with all TCM lovers!

• Like 1