Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Happy Birthday Frank Sinatra!!

I'm pretty sure that most actors/actresses who came from Broadway, or any live performing medium is capable of 'single takes'. That is because they're used to rehearsing. You can't go on live without knowing your lines and marks, that is, of course, except the primadonnas who want to make sure everything goes well for them.. We all know that both Kelly and Astaire were both avid at rehearsal. You have to be sure to get every nuance correct to stay within the structure of the music. Judy Garland, on the other hand was a 'natural' who, as long as she knew the words, could walk cold onto a soundstage and sing a song throughout without any slips, unless her pills were messing her up. Then there are the others I mentioned like Doris Day who insisted on certain lighting, and that fuzzy close up screen to cover her freckles, I always wondered why her close ups always looked out of focus until I read about that about 20 years ago.

Anne

Working on the stage is invaluable experience---I would definitely advise anyone staring out to get as much work in the theater as they can, instead of investing too much money in acting classes. :)

Another one who likes the "fuzzy lens": Cybill Shepherd. When you watch her scenes in that old series, "Moonlighting", she's always blurry!

Who watched/recorded Take Me Out To The Ballgame early this morning? If you didn't, you really missed out on a gem! I was smiling at Sinatra through out the whole film, he was at his MOST adorable!

He played that same sort of shy character he played in Anchors Aweigh, in fact it had alot of the same plot. But some great songs were offered and the performances by both Sinatra and Kelly were superb. And the third guy... I believe he was the same third fella they had in On The Town, but I could be mistaken.

bhf1940

I didn't know how to take that one, Miss G... I've heard different things about it. Is it good, in your oppinion? I read the guide info on my DirecTV and didn't record it.

I did however record It Happened In Brooklyn the other night and still haven't gotten around to watching it.

I'm not sure it was filmed in widescreen - all the commercial releases of the DVD are 1:33 aspect ratio. Also, Saul Bass's opening credits are tightly fit into the frame, suggesting a narrower original screen. If anyone would make full use of 'Scope it would be Saul.

You mean The Man with The Golden Arm? Oh boy---be ready for heavy duty drama with this one. Frank's "kickin' it cold turkey" scenes are extremely raw and I just can't watch them. However, it's a truly brave and well written film---almost like a stage play because the set is surreal as opposed to realistic---as if Otto wanted to create a feeling of claustrophobia, of animals in caught a trap. I think---and Frank himself agreed---that THIS is the movie he should have gotten the Oscar for.

So if you are in the mood for heavy stuff, it's sure to impress you. But It Happened in Brooklyn is more my regular cuppa'. ;) (I adore Jimmy Durante---he's one of my all-time favorite old style entertainers---he has so much heart the screen can hardly contain him, bless him.)

Miss G

Miss G,

I thought that Frank did a good job in the kicking scenes....there is no way to capture the pain and torment of kicking a heroin addiction on the screen.....The Basketball Diaries came close, but I still think they did a good job with those scenes. Obviously it is alot worse than how it is protrayed in the movies....unfortunatly this is something that I know about..

kpr

But It Happened in Brooklyn is more my regular cuppa'.

Eh, does Frank ever get the leading lady in the 40's pictures? *lol* I sat there watching it and figured they were really setting up the chemistry between Sinatra and Grayson, since there was no Gene Kelly in sight ;) ... Then what do you know, the guy from Easter Parade comes and steals the gal! Though I like Peter Lawford alot, I couldn't help but be dissappointed...

And this is completely off subject, but does anyone have an idea on why 1933's Going Hollywood has shot up to the number one spot in the searches category? Usually it's because the film was shown recently... But I'm just about positive this one one hasn't been, or I would have recorded it! I know it is playing soon, maybe that's why.

> Obviously it is alot worse than how it is protrayed

> in the movies....unfortunatly this is something that

> I know about..

>

> kpr

Hi KPR---if you or someone you know has been through it and kicked the habit, my heartiest kudos and best wishes. And if it's still a battle in progress---as Frank might say, keep the faith, baby.

"Happy thoughts..."

Miss G

Lol! When I was little I used to think that young Frank and older Frank were two different people. I was shocked when I learned the truth! I think he never got the girl in those early flicks because of his appearance: he was soooo thin and little that the producer's probably thought no gal would go for him. The bobby-soxers had a different idea. ;)

I noticed that about Going Hollywood---I assumed it had aired recently! Lol!

Miss G