Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

B Western Discussion

jvcb8

Here's the link to my interview with author David Rothel.

David has written books about western stars such as Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Tim Holt, Allan "Rocky" Lane, Lash LaRue and Richard Boone. In the interview David and I talk about all things related to B Westerns. If you love B Westerns then this is your interview. Listen now and enjoy:

• Like 3

Outstanding interview. Nice you had time to get into the tumbleweeds.  Unfortunately, many of the B western devotees have gone on to the great corral in the sky. 

Loved the discussion of Roy Barcroft.  My late, dear friend Alan Barbour was very close to Roy and also knew Dave Sharpe and his wife very well. I actually have 16mm kodachrome footage that Alan shot on a visit to Dave's home where he and Ken Terrell get into an ad-lib fight.  Fun stuff.

Other favorite villains of mine are Morris Ankrum (a founder of the Pasadena Playhouse) and Leroy Mason.  And I think the most ubiquitous henchman of all time was Monte Montague.  And nobody drove a stagecoach like Bud Osborne!

Probably my favorite B western was billed as the "Barnum and Bailey of Westerns" - POWDERSMOKE RANGE.

• Like 2

By the way, with respect to your discussion about stock footage - in 1931 Bill Boyd and Clark Gable starred in THE PAINTED DESERT for Pathe.  When RKO did a semi-remake with George O'Brien, they actually took several minutes of action footage from the camera negative of the original and used it for the new film.  To this date, all extant prints of the original PAINTED DESERT are missing these sequences.  I managed to get a spare print of the '38 version and cut the footage out and put it back into my print of the '31 film.  Fortunately there was no scoring during those sections of the remake!!

Maybe you guys can help me. I've been trying to remember the title of a western I saw when I was a kid. It was in colour.

I saw it sometime between 1959 and 1962 at a third-run theater.

I can only remember two things about it: near the beginning, there's a guy in a cabin that's under attack by a bunch of guys outside. They light the cabin on fire. Rather than go out to them, he hides under a shallow spot in the floor, covered by a door or lid of some kind - maybe it was some kind of in the earth pantry or something. But he does survive under there as the cabin burns down.

The only other scene I remember is at the end. A woman (who I think was an Indian) is tied up (I think - staked to the ground maybe) and naked (definitely naked - although this being the late 50's or early 60's, it's not graphic). Our hero finds her, wraps a gray blanket around her, and she gets up behind him on his horse and they ride away.

I've remembered these two scenes since I was 10-12 years old. But I haven't ever found anyone who knows what movie it is.

I wish I could help you here Dark, but I too, have a scene from some old western stuck in MY mind as well.

The scene is of some guy kneeling over a prone "squaw" in a teepee and he reaches down and pulls up a section of her torn garment.  He was the one who tore it.  We just see the section of torn garment in one of his hands(it's not torn completely off) but not the exposed "squaw".

Been bugging me for about 50 years now...

Sepiatone

Sunset Carson teamed with S.C. ETV in early 80's to produce Six Gun Heroes.  Featured a lot of the old B © westerns.  Still being shown on some PBS stations and on SCETV.

Everytime I watch a B western I think of Hearts of the West (1975) and how they made them.

I purchased a Gene Autry CD some years back and it came with a DVD with two of his movies on it. Both were introduced by Carson as part of the Six Gun Heroes.

I wish I could help you here Dark, but I too, have a scene from some old western stuck in MY mind as well.

The scene is of some guy kneeling over a prone "squaw" in a teepee and he reaches down and pulls up a section of her torn garment.  He was the one who tore it.  We just see the section of torn garment in one of his hands(it's not torn completely off) but not the exposed "squaw".

Been bugging me for about 50 years now...

Sepiatone

This sounds like a scene in Last Train From Gun Hill (1959), though it doesn't take place in a tepee

Maybe you guys can help me. I've been trying to remember the title of a western I saw when I was a kid. It was in colour.

I saw it sometime between 1959 and 1962 at a third-run theater.

I can only remember two things about it: near the beginning, there's a guy in a cabin that's under attack by a bunch of guys outside. They light the cabin on fire. Rather than go out to them, he hides under a shallow spot in the floor, covered by a door or lid of some kind - maybe it was some kind of in the earth pantry or something. But he does survive under there as the cabin burns down.

The only other scene I remember is at the end. A woman (who I think was an Indian) is tied up (I think - staked to the ground maybe) and naked (definitely naked - although this being the late 50's or early 60's, it's not graphic). Our hero finds her, wraps a gray blanket around her, and she gets up behind him on his horse and they ride away.

I've remembered these two scenes since I was 10-12 years old. But I haven't ever found anyone who knows what movie it is.

I can't place the second scene, but the first sounds like Red Sundown (1956). Dying James Millican (who was dying in real life as well, this was his last film) hopes to save Rory Calhoun by burying him alive, and allowing him to breathe through a pipe contraption. After the fire the outlaws (led by Leo Gordon) go in the cabin, see no one alive, and leave. The shot where Calhoun then rises out of the grave is memorably eerie.

I can't place the second scene, but the first sounds like Red Sundown (1956). Dying James Millican (who was dying in real life as well, this was his last film) hopes to save Rory Calhoun by burying him alive, and allowing him to breathe through a pipe contraption. After the fire the outlaws (led by Leo Gordon) go in the cabin, see no one alive, and leave. The shot where Calhoun then rises out of the grave is memorably eerie.

I believe that is it. I haven't found any mention of either scene anywhere - but I've always thought it was 'Red Sundown', and you mentioning that title leads me to believe that's the one. Maybe the ending I remember is mixed up with another movie, but I don't think so.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings