Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM rarely airs (2) *Tracy movies nowadays???

spence

This used to be on a lot too, 1940's great Adventure "Northwest Passage" (M-G-M)

as well as his 1939 "Stanley and Livingstone" (Fox) (***)

Just pondering what happened?

(P.S. Plus, sure wish they would broadcast-(likely due to legal rights) "Quick Millions" & "Power & the Glory"  both when he was even more miserable at Fox)

& on that note, his debut in 1930's "Up the River" (Fox) (***) is also very rarely on, but I've been able to catch it a couple  times

WHO AGREES, HE SHOULDA' CONTINUED TO PORTRAY "KILLER MEARS"-(instead of Preston Foster) IN THE 1930 VERSION OF "THE LAST MILE" (Fox)

A role he originated on stage & where *Ford discovered him

• Like 1

Because STANLEY AND LIVINGSTONE is a Fox film, it airs more often on the FXM Retro channel.

I agree that NORTHWEST PASSAGE is seldom broadcast and as an MGM film, it's in the TCM/Turner library. Apparently the programmers don't like it or else it doesn't fit their various themes.

Since Spence never answered my question, I will just mention this in case anyone's interested:

There are two versions of THE LAST MILE. The first production, made in 1932, is arguably the better one. It has all the grittiness we'd expect to find in a pre-code prison drama. Preston Foster plays the main character, and he was very young-- it had to be one of his first big movie roles. The remake, done in 1959, has Mickey Rooney and while he tries awfully hard, it's somewhat over-the-top and doesn't play as well. 

Both versions are on Amazon Prime. I don't remember when (or if) TCM aired them.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings