Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How the website/FB page "Ranker" ranks *Bogie???

spence

Yes, I've posted a couple items about this massive polling FB page/website titled "RANKER"-(www.ranker.com) & it's votes for the top 50 in virtually everything, of course including cinema

They also allow the fans to cast their own votes as well

But, due to TCM honoring the legendary *Humphrey Bogart today, I'd just like to throw out what that site "ranks' as his best motion pictures

"RANKER'S' ranking of: *Humphrey (DeForest) Bogart-(l899-l957) was 5'8 American

(made 75 films) (career: 1930-56) Debut: 1930's "A Devil with Women"

(TRIVIA: as most know it was *Bogie-(a nickname great pal *Spencer Tracy gave him)was the founder of "The Holmby Hills Rat Pack" It's members were: *Sinatra, Judy, Bacall, Debbie Reynolds, *David Niven,etc & obviously *"The Chairman: Sinatra' inherited his mantle when he suddenly died in January 1957) & like most of his contemporaries he chose Glendale's, "F. Lawn, cem"-(though his section is mostly pvt)Lived at 232 Mapleton in B. Hills-(not far from "The Playboy Mansion")

How they rank his top ten out of 50:

1st place *"Casablanca" (l943-Warner Bros.) (won BP *Oscar)-(also by far the leader w/most fan votes)

2. "The Maltese Falcon" (l94l-WB's)

3. "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" (l948-WB)-("ROBBED" of a Best Actor nomination!)

4. "The Big Sleep" (l946-WB)

5th "To Have and Have Not" (l944-WB)

6. "Key Largo" (l948-WB's)

7. "The African queen" (l95l-UA)

8. "The Caine Mutiny" (l954-columbia)

9. "High Sierra" (l940-WB)

& 10th place "Dark Passage" (l947-WB)

VS. my "Essential *Bogie"

1. *"Casablanca"

2. "Treasure Sierra Madre'-(both must rank among greatest of all-time!)

3. "The Maltese Falcon"

4. "Key Largo"

5. "The African Queen"

(P.S. I would easily list "Angels With Dirty Faces"/"Roaring 20's' but he had small pts in them)

AND; *Bogie & the *Oscars:

1943 *"Casablanca" (Best Actor nomination)

1951 *"African Queen"-(won leading *Oscar, he thought *Brando would win though)

& 1954 "The Caine Mutiny"

(AFI 1999 Ranking #1st place of all-time male movie stars)

THANK YOU

I prefer Bogart in movies where he pulls off something unexpected, like pretending to be the bookworm in The Big Sleep when he goes into Geiger's bookstore.   I think the movies listed in the ranking are fine; you can't deny their success or popularity.  Oftentimes, a movie's moniker of being a "classic, must-see, essential" is based on the entire cast or story and not just the lead player.  For me, my favorite films with Humphrey Bogart (in no particular order):

The Caine Mutiny

The Big Sleep

They Drive by Night

The African Queen

The Maltese Falcon

In A Lonely Place

The Barefoot Contessa

Casablanca

Key Largo

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

I like To Have and Have Not, but Walter Brennan's portrayal of Eddie is a real turn-off for the picture, overall.

I prefer Bogart in movies where he pulls off something unexpected, like pretending to be the bookworm in The Big Sleep when he goes into Geiger's bookstore.   I think the movies listed in the ranking are fine; you can't deny their success or popularity.  Oftentimes, a movie's moniker of being a "classic, must-see, essential" is based on the entire cast or story and not just the lead player.  For me, my favorite films with Humphrey Bogart (in no particular order):

The Caine Mutiny

The Big Sleep

They Drive by Night

The African Queen

The Maltese Falcon

In A Lonely Place

The Barefoot Contessa

Casablanca

Key Largo

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

I like To Have and Have Not, but Walter Brennan's portrayal of Eddie is a real turn-off for the picture, overall.

I found the relationship between the two men enduring.   Hawks' films typically have a male bonding theme and in THAHN it is like the 'loser' older brother to the stable younger brother one,  where the older one believes in his head he is taking care of the younger one.   This theme runs through the entire film right up to the end when Eddie says he now has two people he has to take care of.  

Eddie is the type of person that I often find a 'real turn-off' but the way Brennan plays him and how Bogie reacts to him (e.g. their exchange in the boat when they are going to pick up the 'cargo'),  is almost as enjoyable to me as those Bogie and Bacall scenes.

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings