Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

While I'm sure this young woman is very nice, & as rabid about classic film & social media as she claims, she does NOT come across as anything but an outrageous amateur in front of the camera.  Honestly TCM - you couldn't find ANYONE more qualified to introduce your films than this?  Surely there must be thousands of far-more-qualified folks out there begging for work.

TCM pretty much runs on our TV's here 24/7.  We love Robert Osbourne, love Ben Mankiewicz, & also enjoy the other hosts & guest hosts on TCM.  But Ms. Vasquez is so poor at it, we actually turn the sound off until she's done introducing.  She's like a high-school student reading off a teleprompter.

TCM - & its viewers - deserves much better.

• Like 3

Frankly, I prefer the newness she brings to it all. If one cared to watch objectively, one would see the development and evolution of her presentations as time goes on. I'm sure she'll be just fine in time.

I'm not looking for a human encyclopedia, we already have that in Osbourne. I want someone who is passionate about films and enjoys watching and presenting them. And she's good at that. I am more interested in energy than if she reads lines correctly. I leave that to the actor. 

To each their own I guess.

• Like 4

Thank Gosh I cannot stand her! I much prefer the gay guy. I am sorry for I do not know his name but he is the latest addition, Gen Yer. he is personable, poised, Charming, and talks natural to the camera as if he were talking to a friend but with his own personality instead of taking on somebody else's like Miss Velasquez does.

pity about him wearing his Blazers so damn tight I want to take him shopping and buy him one a size bigger, but I understand it's what the kids are doing these days with their suit jackets. if anyone can tell me what this gentleman's name is so I don't have to call him "the gay guy" next time lest someone **** retentive projects their repressed bigotry onto me and calls me out here as if there were something wrong in 2016 with noticing that someone so likeable is gay... I'd appreciate it. I'm not good with memory and names but I will try to remember his.

His name is Michael Feinstein.     Here is some trivia;  He was married in 2008 to his partner by Judge Judy.

• Like 2

His name is Michael Feinstein.     Here is some trivia;  He was married in 2008 to his partner by Judge Judy.

The first time I read this, I spit out my drink, as I failed to see the word "by" near the end of the last sentence. :lol:

• Like 4

Well I am in no position to diss Miss Vasquez, nor do I want, however I believe this must be an effort by TCM to encourage and speak to younger viewers "as time goes by" for us oldies who have been watching TCM since its inception.  The fact that a whole new generation has been spawned in the time that TCM has been on the air would make it natural to acquire spokespersons that reflect back to the younger viewers.  I don't much care for her (I have a crush on Ben with Alec Baldwin second) but I am not going to become vitriolic over it either.  If you don't like her you have a choice, change the channel or turn off the sound.

For Me...and all those other TCM bloggers what about TopBilled as a presenter, now that's a guy who knows movies. 

Michael Feinstein is a well known pianist who has received many awards for his music and his compilation of THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK who after moving to Hollywood met Oscar Levant's wife and became acquainted with Ira Gershwin. 

So his relationship to American songs leads him into the ability to understand and review classic movies as the relationship between great American songs and movies is tightly interwoven. And as a bit of trivia for my comments on Mr. Feinstein and his American songs, today happens to be the anniversary of the Chattanooga Choo Choo first played in SUN VALLEY SERENADE released this date in 1941 and the first record to win a "Gold Record" for selling a million records.  So there!!!

• Like 1

Feinstein, while looking younger than his age, is no kid. He'll

be sixty next month. I'm not into musicals and the great

American songbook slop that much, but I have heard of him

and he's been around for a fairly long time.

I'm not a GQ type of guy, but what's with his extra large tie

knots? They could double as drink coasters. Is this the

current fashion? Ain't going to look good ten years from now.

Married by Judge Judy. That's a ten point deduction right there.

No hard feelings towards Ms.Vasquez but I think she presents these films badly. She seems stiff and boring if you were to ask me. Maybe it's because she is just starting out and still needs to learn the basics. She definitely has potential but it will take a little time to become a great host and presenter for TCM.

• Like 1

Bonnie C ~ 

I have to agree, loyal TCM viewers deserve better than what we are initially being offered from TCM and Ms. Vasquez.

I always hope for the Underdog to win and I am watching and hoping that Ms. Vasquez will improve her on-air talents.

I do not find her youth a problem. It's a wise move on many levels. It is also refreshing.

She is at ease with pronounciation and enunciation.

Overall, her inexperience does not present problems for me. 

The problems that I have with her Saturday hosting are with the poor level of professionalism at which she is beginning with her on-air presence and the incredibly bad delivery of her presentations.

I pay more every month just so I can enjoy watching TCM. I do not watch TCM for the movies alone. I want them to be presented to me with the facts, the fun, cast and crew info, the history; etc. I want the presenters to let the warmth of their own personalities shine through. I don't want someone that is too slick and homogenized.

I keep hoping Ms. Vasquez is going to become comfortable enough in front of the camera with us that she will allow herself to show us her warmth and enthusiasm. Granted, she is under the spotlight. Which is exactly where she asked to be, yet is so ill-prepared. She reminds me of a student who was in art school with me. Everytime this well-liked, talented student would present her work to be critiqued and juried, she became an entirely different person, and not in a good way. She was terrified, but that is not what everyone saw. We saw someone quite like Ms. Vasquez's current on-air presence. Ms. Vasquez is no longer in school and, from her resume, has spent adequate time in her chosen field to be better at presenting. She is surrounded by top professionals and cannot expect to keep performing at a low amateur level.

So far, she is not convincing me that she has done her own film research or has the enthusiasm. I am more convinced that someone from Central Casting pointed at her and said, "Hey you! That's right, YOU. Come over here. Stand here. Look into the camera. Read these lines. And, for Heaven's sake try to act like you want to be here!" I would like to ask Ms. Vasquez that she is not at TCM by accident or a case of mistaken identity?

I do not want to cringe and turn off the sound whenever Ms. Vasquez has her Saturday host spot. Today, I did see some changes she gave her deliveries. But in the main, they were lateral. An injection of a smile here, a liitle laugh there, open both hands now, look to the left, then right. (Including a squint of one eye while talking out of the side of her mouth with a curled upper lip like she just smelled that bad milk Ben Mankiewicz refers to in the TCM Wine plugs. Please, please lose that!) She delivered them as she does with her scripts, line by line. Reading every single line with the same stiff cadence, predictable and dull rythym and missing the beat on the words to be emphasized. Even when she tried to show her enthusiasm, she didn't. I can't but believe that Ms. Vasquez is the only one holding her(self) back. She needs to spend less time practicing in the shower and more time reviewing her taped presentations mindfully with an encouraging, constructive coach.

Fashion is fun and trendy. Each generation enjoys contributing their own sense of style and their take on previous eras. Nobody wears fashion better than when they are comfortable in their apparel, hair and make-up. Ms. Vasquez is a very vibrant, attractive young woman. The camera definitely likes her. She apparently enjoys 1980s fashion. That's fine. Last Saturday, Ms. Vasquez looked like she wore her PJs to work when she showed up in an ill-fitting jumpsuit. Dress Casual is fine, especially on a Saturday. Just don't look like you are ready to curl up on the sofa with Grammy's afghan. Ms. Vasquez needs to pony up for an image consultant or personal shopper to help her develop her professional appearance and sense of style. She can be fashionable, fun and hip without being stiff and boring, but she needs to do it with some class. 

I don't believe TCM fans are afraid of someone new or the changes they bring. Classic Movie fans quite obviously like things classic, even the new classics. We have a level of expectation that Ms. Vasquez isn't giving to us, yet. I am definitely disappointed, but I do keep hoping she will be a quick study and become the star we all want hosting on Saturdays.

TCM and Ms. Vasquez are asking us to watch and listen to her. We are. I hope they will please listen to us. We are an invested and vocal group. We won't be afraid to let you know when "It's time to either fish or cut bait."

• Like 2

I cringe whenever I see the Tiffany promo - who approved the bit about her practicing her hosting of movies in the shower? Is that as much as they can find to endorse her? Then there's this strange commentary in the promo:

I'm very active on social media and I think that that speaks to the power of social media and the TCM fan base. Because a lot of these movies were made for the social experience, they were made to be seen with other people. But people can't always do that, but if you have social media, then you can.

I am not about to set up a mini-cam to stream video of me watching a movie, not that I think that anyone would want to watch that instead of or along with KEY LARGO.

I was supportive at first, even commented here about that. After a few weeks, I'd rather they replace her with that 11-year-old boy who was a guest host one night and was featured in the Film Festival promo.

• Like 2

I cringe whenever I see the Tiffany promo - who approved the bit about her practicing her hosting of movies in the shower? Is that as much as they can find to endorse her? Then there's this strange commentary in the promo:

I'm very active on social media and I think that that speaks to the power of social media and the TCM fan base. Because a lot of these movies were made for the social experience, they were made to be seen with other people. But people can't always do that, but if you have social media, then you can.

I'm sorry but isn't TV's line about "A lot of these movies were made to be seen with other people" beyond ridiculous? Hello??? What an idiotic thing to say.  ALL MOVIES were made to be seen with other people (ya know . . . like in MOVIE THEATRES!)  Don't get me started . . . She's a train wreck in progress . . . 

Lydecker

P.S.  Also waiting for this thread to be deleted.

• Like 4

I pay more every month just so I can enjoy watching TCM. I do not watch TCM for the movies alone. I want them to be presented to me with the facts, the fun, cast and crew info, the history; etc.

I have wikipedia and imdb for that. I often have those sites open while watching films so I can figure out who is whom and what other movies I have seen them in. A host can't help you once the film begins so I don't need that from them.

Fashion is fun and trendy. Each generation enjoys contributing their own sense of style and their take on previous eras. Nobody wears fashion better than when they are comfortable in their apparel, hair and make-up. Ms. Vasquez is a very vibrant, attractive young woman. The camera definitely likes her. She apparently enjoys 1980s fashion. That's fine. Last Saturday, Ms. Vasquez looked like she wore her PJs to work when she showed up in an ill-fitting jumpsuit. Dress Casual is fine, especially on a Saturday. Just don't look like you are ready to curl up on the sofa with Grammy's afghan. Ms. Vasquez needs to pony up for an image consultant or personal shopper to help her develop her professional appearance and sense of style. She can be fashionable, fun and hip without being stiff and boring, but she needs to do it with some class. 

I'm still waiting for the first thread complaining about what a male host is wearing. I bet if she wore the same suit the men wear, someone would complain about that !

I don't believe TCM fans are afraid of someone new or the changes they bring. Classic Movie fans quite obviously like things classic, even the new classics. We have a level of expectation that Ms. Vasquez isn't giving to us, yet. I am definitely disappointed, but I do keep hoping she will be a quick study and become the star we all want hosting on Saturdays.

You obviously weren't around when Ben first started :lol: . People complained about Ben, Drew, Illeana, Alec,  and every other new host since I've been watching. They only accept the new host when there is a "newer" host to dump on. Before this it was Eddie Muller because he didn't know some well known actresses name. This is just par for the course.  

TCM and Ms. Vasquez are asking us to watch and listen to her. We are. I hope they will please listen to us. We are an invested and vocal group. We won't be afraid to let you know when "It's time to either fish or cut bait."

I like that they have someone who isn't someone's nephew or grandchild. Just a fan who likes classic film, like me !

I'm still waiting for the first thread complaining about what a male host is wearing. I bet if she wore the same suit the men wear, someone would complain about that !

We were making fun of Feinstein's Pee-wee Herman-esque wardrobe recently.

• Like 1

What bothers me isn't so much Tiffany herself  (other than the vocal fry) but  the blatant attempt to get someone young to appeal to a new generation.  We have so many channels geared to the younger set and those channels don't feel compelled to get a 70 something host to "appeal to the seniors out there." 

Can't we have one thing?   

• Like 1

We were making fun of Feinstein's Pee-wee Herman-esque wardrobe recently.

Yeah, and that guy who introduced all those foreign films awhile back? - you know?, the guy with no socks? and no dress code? and spoke in the interrogative?

Everyone tore into that guy?

p.s. it's a good thing your keyboard doesn't stutter

What bothers me isn't so much Tiffany herself  (other than the vocal fry) but  the blatant attempt to get someone young to appeal to a new generation.  We have so many channels geared to the younger set and those channels don't feel compelled to get a 70 something host to "appeal to the seniors out there." 

Can't we have one thing?   

That "new generation" tends to buy more products. So every business caters to them. Just as since the 90's advertising began to cater to women. They simply chase the money. As much as we may love this channel, its still a business.

Yeah, and that guy who introduced all those foreign films awhile back? - you know?, the guy with no socks? and no dress code? and spoke in the interrogative?

Everyone tore into that guy?

p.s. it's a good thing your keyboard doesn't stutter

I don't recall that one. Was this a real guy, or some in-joke reference that I'm not following?