Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BonnieC

Tiffany Vasquez

I don't recall that one. Was this a real guy, or some in-joke reference that I'm not following?

Here is part of a TCM press release:

TCM IS PROUD to present the U.S. television premiere of The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011), a 15-episode documentary directed and narrated by Mark Cousins, adapted from his 2004 book The Story of Film

Yeah, and that guy who introduced all those foreign films awhile back? - you know?, the guy with no socks? and no dress code? and spoke in the interrogative?

Everyone tore into that guy?

p.s. it's a good thing your keyboard doesn't stutter

I stand corrected. People here are equally critical of any new host. By jove,  I've got it ! :P

• Like 1

That "new generation" tends to buy more products. So every business caters to them. Just as since the 90's advertising began to cater to women. They simply chase the money. As much as we may love this channel, its still a business.

That's actually not quite true. The reason that advertisers covet the younger demographic isn't because they buy more. In fact, the last article on this topic that I read said the 60+ demo was spending more discretionary income than the younger demo.

The reason they target the younger demo is that supposedly the older demo is set in their ways, and will continue to buy the brands and products that they are used to. The younger demo, while spending less, is not seen as set in their ways, and therefore their buying habits can be influenced by advertising more.

• Like 2

"TCM is proud to present The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011), a 15-episode documentary directed and narrated by Mark Cousins, adapted from his 2004 book The Story of Film and chronicling more than 100 years of world film history. ...

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/650688%7C650689/Introduction-to-The-Story-of-Film-An-Odyssey.html

cousins2.jpg

-Really loved the series, in spite of this guy   :)

Here is part of a TCM press release:

TCM IS PROUD to present the U.S. television premiere of The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011), a 15-episode documentary directed and narrated by Mark Cousins, adapted from his 2004 book The Story of Film

Oh, yeah. I recall that series. I recorded a lot of movies from that, but never any of the intros, I guess, or the accompanying show. I missed out on a winner. :(

I don't recall that one. Was this a real guy, or some in-joke reference that I'm not following?

Real guy. There was a month-long(?) series of films from around the world (mostly non-US) and this (Irish?) host sat with Robert Osborne, discussing and introducing the films.

I'm pretty sure this was last year.

Ok.. everyone chimed in on this one - good deal. I see this series was last on TCM in 2013.

That's actually not quite true. The reason that advertisers covet the younger demographic isn't because they buy more. In fact, the last article on this topic that I read said the 60+ demo was spending more discretionary income than the younger demo.

The reason they target the younger demo is that supposedly the older demo is set in their ways, and will continue to buy the brands and products that they are used to. The younger demo, while spending less, is not seen as set in their ways, and therefore their buying habits can be influenced by advertising more.

Yes, they are easier to sell to. That is correct. Older people spend more but, are much more wary about what they spend it on.

I meant the younger ones will spend more in that , they are more apt to blow money on nonsense. Total dollars spent, you are probably right.

• Like 1

What bothers me isn't so much Tiffany herself  (other than the vocal fry) but  the blatant attempt to get someone young to appeal to a new generation.  We have so many channels geared to the younger set and those channels don't feel compelled to get a 70 something host to "appeal to the seniors out there." 

Can't we have one thing?   

I can go along w/you on this. We know what they don't yet, which is overnight they too will be a nonexistent demographic w/the exception of prescription drug and medical/life insurance ads. Wait for it...

Oh, yeah. I recall that series. I recorded a lot of movies from that, but never any of the intros, I guess, or the accompanying show. I missed out on a winner, I guess. :(

Since you're a very opened minded individual I believe you would have enjoyed his comments,  even if you didn't agree with many of them.    Some users at this forum were upset because he did knock 'classic' Hollywood for over produced unrealistic films,  and for him showing and praising so many foreign films.    These users are now what is known as Trump supporters.     (ok, folks that is a joke so please don't be offended).

• Like 2

Yes, they are easier to sell to. That is correct. Older people spend more but, are much more wary about what they spend it on.

I meant the younger ones will spend more in that , they are more apt to blow money on nonsense. Total dollars spent, you are probably right.

This usual way of tabulating ratings, and therefore a show or channel's worth, is starting to change, too. As more and more of the younger demo do whatever they can to avoid commercials by cord cutting, DVRing, streaming, etc, the one remaining audience that watches a majority of commercials is the older demo, and so, slowly, they are starting to pay more attention to those demo ratings. The young-demo paradigm is so ingrained, though, it will take a while before they really change anything.

What bothers me isn't so much Tiffany herself  (other than the vocal fry) but  the blatant attempt to get someone young to appeal to a new generation.  We have so many channels geared to the younger set and those channels don't feel compelled to get a 70 something host to "appeal to the seniors out there." 

Can't we have one thing?   

Well, there is one channel playing Johnny Carson every night. Another one playing Judy Garland and Merv Griffin once a week. Which generation would you say those channels are geared toward ?  

Today there is literally something for everyone. You just have to hunt for it.

• Like 1

This usual way of tabulating ratings, and therefore a show or channel's worth, is starting to change, too. As more and more of the younger demo do whatever they can to avoid commercials by cord cutting, DVRing, streaming, etc, the one remaining audience that watches a majority of commercials is the older demo, and so, slowly, they are starting to pay more attention to those demo ratings. The young-demo paradigm is so ingrained, though, it will take a while before they really change anything.

Which is fascinating because if you go back far enough into the 50's, there were no commercial breaks. The host would read a live commercial while the sponsors name was emblazoned across the front of the panel on game shows. That generation had to get used to having their favorite shows interrupted by ads. 

Life really is a cycle .

• Like 1

Oh, yeah. I recall that series. I recorded a lot of movies from that, but never any of the intros, I guess, or the accompanying show. I missed out on a winner. :(

Maybe they will show it again. It's been on twice (2013 & 2014).

I cringe whenever I see the Tiffany promo - who approved the bit about her practicing her hosting of movies in the shower? Is that as much as they can find to endorse her? Then there's this strange commentary in the promo:

I'm very active on social media and I think that that speaks to the power of social media and the TCM fan base. Because a lot of these movies were made for the social experience, they were made to be seen with other people. But people can't always do that, but if you have social media, then you can.

I am not about to set up a mini-cam to stream video of me watching a movie, not that I think that anyone would want to watch that instead of or along with KEY LARGO.

I was supportive at first, even commented here about that. After a few weeks, I'd rather they replace her with that 11-year-old boy who was a guest host one night and was featured in the Film Festival promo.

I just saw that promo today and had to wonder why she isn't getting better assistance. Does she just have a camera crew? Doesn't she have an advisor to run through what she is actually saying. It is very unkind to her and I don't want to think that she really isn't that bright. It is ridiculous the way it is phrased and it has nothing to do with her age or demographic. It's simply a badly phrased commentary. She's been in the business too long to blame her Language Arts instruction. She needs to pick up where they (might) have dropped the ball.

• Like 4

I have wikipedia and imdb for that. I often have those sites open while watching films so I can figure out who is whom and what other movies I have seen them in. A host can't help you once the film begins so I don't need that from them.

Ditto, but I like the host intros and final comments.

I'm still waiting for the first thread complaining about what a male host is wearing. I bet if she wore the same suit the men wear, someone would complain about that !

Fashion is a HUGE role in the film industry, so we like to comment on what we like and don't.  

You obviously weren't around when Ben first started :lol: . People complained about Ben, Drew, Illeana, Alec,  and every other new host since I've been watching. They only accept the new host when there is a "newer" host to dump on. Before this it was Eddie Muller because he didn't know some well known actresses name. This is just par for the course.  

I was around. Didn't hear that from me.

I like that they have someone who isn't someone's nephew or grandchild. Just a fan who likes classic film, like me !

Someone that has that kind of insider lineage and history and talent is a rare gift that I welcome and I don't think TCM demands it of it's hosts. I don't want just a fan like myself, I want someone that is greater and much more informed that will, in turn, make me a greater, more informed fan. 

Thanks for your thoughts!

I just saw that promo today and had to wonder why she isn't getting better assistance. Does she just have a camera crew? Doesn't she have an advisor to run through what she is actually saying. It is very unkind to her and I don't want to think that she really isn't that bright. It is ridiculous the way it is phrased and it has nothing to do with her age or demographic. It's simply a badly phrased commentary. She's been in the business too long to blame her Language Arts instruction. She needs to pick up where they (might) have dropped the ball.

I think you phrased that fairly. And sensibly. 

I'm sorry but isn't TV's line about "A lot of these movies were made to be seen with other people" beyond ridiculous? Hello??? What an idiotic thing to say.  ALL MOVIES were made to be seen with other people (ya know . . . like in MOVIE THEATRES!)  Don't get me started . . . She's a train wreck in progress . . . 

Lydecker

P.S.  Also waiting for this thread to be deleted.

It is ridiculous and yet it's also true that a good movie is still a good movie whether one sees it alone or surrounded by people. There's just no real point to her commentary here. It doesn't promote her nor TCM nor does it make any real sense. It would be one thing if she said that she loves to use social media to read more about film or to see the opinions of others about film in order to write better commentaries and become a more knowledgeable host.

In truth, it makes me think that she graduated from Trump University - there's a bunch of words there (between gulps of air in order to affect the vocal fry) but there's no real point and not much promise.

• Like 2

That's all??

To me he does look younger than sixty, but I know he's been

around a pretty long time, so I'm not that surprised he'll be 60

very soon. Maybe it's genes, maybe it's plastic surgery. Only

his hairdresser knows for sure.

the Cutie Patootie Gen Yer....is soon to be 60 years old? :-O Impossible! I bet he is a time traveler then.

Folks used to laugh at the monkey gland

procedure.They're not laughing anymore. :lol:

To me he does look younger than sixty, but I know he's been around a pretty long time, so I'm not that surprised he'll be 60 very soon. Maybe it's genes, maybe it's plastic surgery. Only his hairdresser knows for sure.

Whoops, my bad. I thought you all were referring to Harvey Fierstein.

The last time I saw a photo of Fierstein was a number of

years ago and he definitely looked his age. I'd suggest

he might take some hints from Feinstein, but it's probably

too late in the day.

The last time I saw a photo of Fierstein was a number of years ago and he definitely looked his age. I'd suggest he might take some hints from Feinstein, but it's probably too late in the day.

He'd probably have to ask for the hints in writing. I doubt Feinstein would be able to hear him.

Yeah, and that guy who introduced all those foreign films awhile back? - you know?, the guy with no socks? and no dress code? and spoke in the interrogative?

Everyone tore into that guy?

p.s. it's a good thing your keyboard doesn't stutter

This is a brilliant parody of Mark Cousins that really isn't that far removed from reality:

• Like 3

The last time I saw a photo of Fierstein was a number of

years ago and he definitely looked his age. I'd suggest

he might take some hints from Feinstein, but it's probably

too late in the day.

For heaven's sakes, you sound like Fra --

Like There's a crime against looking your own age.

I always get that from people that I don't look my age-- I have gotten that for about 20 years.

But the truth of the matter is that I look my age-- it's just that other people look older than their age.

Genetics, of course, plays A part, but it really has more to do with your lifestyle.

Anyway, the important thing is not how old you look, but how much you enjoy your life at whatever age you are.

C'est la Vie!

This is a brilliant parody of Mark Cousins that really isn't that far removed from reality:

That was terrific! 

:lol:

• Like 1