Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trying to figure out which movie!

lhowe

Does anyone remember a scene from a b&w movie where (I think) a guy is going off to go to war and has to leave his girl behind - they're in a train station and he gets on the train, but he gives the girl his rosary before he leaves and she stands there with it in her hand and, teary-eyed, watches the train and him leave.  There's some sort of awesome thing about the scene, but I can't remember that part of it.

At first I thought it was "Miracle in the Rain," but I remember the rosary part.  At the time the fact that it was a rosary wouldn't have impacted me, so I don't know where that memory would have come from if it wasn't a rosary in the movie.  I waited for "Miracle in the Rain" to come on since i thought it was that movie, and then was confused when Van Johnson gives his girl the lucky roman coin necklace.  I remember the scene at the train station being very moving (about 20 years ago or whenever I saw it).  I just can't figure it out, so I hope someone out there knows what movie this was.

It would be hard to insert the train station scene in "MITR," too (in a bad memory sort of way), since Van Johnson doesn't leave on a train.  Grrrr! 

Here's to hoping....!

annie

i don't think so, I just saw that on TCM again recently.

At the time I saw "the movie I can't remember" I didn't even know what a rosary was, and there's some sort of profound epiphany or miracle related to his giving her his rosary.  She looked at it in her hand and then she watches the train and him leave.  I was watching the movie, but it was in that scene that my attention snapped into high alert - because of whatever the rosary meant. Whatever it meant to the two of them.  I just can't remember that part - what the "miracle" was when he put it in her hand and she looked at it and realized (whatever it was it meant).   But thanks for replying!  I've been wondering about this movie for years and couldn't wait to see "Miracle in the Rain."  I figured it had to be it, but it wasn't (although I enjoyed that movie very much).

No, not that one. I don't know why, but I've never been able to sit through that movie, but I youtubed it and watched the scene.  Close, but no.  Rats!  I guess the problem is that it was such a common theme/scene in movies of that time - train stations, departures, not knowing if they'd ever meet again.  With a little of bit of creepy wonder because of the miracle aspect of it.  I remember it dripped through her fingers just a little, as rosaries do.  Definitely not a watch or a necklace.  At the time I was not familiar with rosaries at all, except seeing them in stores and such (in New Mexico).  I remember because it was not an object i was personally familiar with, a little bit mysterious to me.  There was a "Oh my Goodness" sit up and take notice moment, which is lacking in the "Since you went away" movie.  I remember I got a little shiver up the back of my neck, which is why i remember it all these years, I guess.  There also isn't the aspect of a miracle or whatever in the "SYWA" movie train departure scene.  When you mentioned Jennifer Jones I got a little excited because the woman in the other movie had dark hair.  But she didn't run after the train.  She just stood there with her hand out and the rosary pooled in her hand, dripping a little through her fingers, staring at him in the train.  He was staring back at her.  Her face was struck with the moment, the import of the rosary and whatever it meant to them.  It was a moment.  I think there was just music while the train departed and the camera backed away from her, sort of creating her as a pool or oasis of something very special while surrounded by the normal world of the time going on  around her.  See what an impression it made on me.  Maybe it wasn't such a great movie because i remember nothing else about it.  Thanks for trying though!  I really appreciate it.  It's been bugging me for years!

lhowe,

Maybe you are combining scenes from two different movies...it's been known to happen. The rosary or religious aspect would seem most like MIRACLE IN THE RAIN. 

The only other suggestion would be to look at British war films, or Italian neorealist films, since it could be an image from a foreign movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings