Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sick of the TCM Promos

I used to enjoy the promos shown in between the films. Now after being flooded with wine promos, cruise ship promos, backlot membership, Fathom Events, I've grown sick. 

So it's safe to say that you are not promo, but antimo.

• Like 2

Usually the only way I'd live-watch a movie on commercial networks is to put it on 'Delay' mode for about an hour and go do something else, just to be able to zap through commercials.

Lately I have occcasionaly been doing the same on TCM, just to zap through their ad-promos also.

:blink:

- Hopefully, at least SOME of the profits will go to getting hold of new movies...maybe

Usually the only way I'd live-watch a movie on commercial networks is to put it on 'Delay' mode for about an hour and go do something else, just to be able to zap through commercials.

Lately I have occcasionaly been doing the same on TCM, just to zap through their ad-promos also.

If it's so easy to avoid the ads with technology, why are people still complaining?

• Like 1

I don't mind a break once in a while to get a snack or something. An ad here and there doesn't bother me. When I'm in a classic film mood, I tend to be more relaxed. I am more into plots, dialogue, setting etc...

And also I'm probably looking up some of the stars of the prior film to read bios, filmographies, things like this. I don't want to do it during the film. So the break is useful for me. That cruise looks interesting to me. I don't mind watching that promo, even if I never go, I like to see who is going to be on it. I don't drink wine but, the one where Ben and the guy are doing a tasting has a nice setting.

These movies are several decades old. I'm in no rush.

• Like 1

my guess would be because complaining is not only very healthy but it also feels really really really good without being Toxic to your system like alcohol is.

as I can't imagine what would happen to my system if I quit complaining... How do you always feel, happy? I mean are you always happy and cheery and all positives? where do you put your Hate? What do you do with your need to complain?

Not being flippant just sincerely curious. I could only get to that stage after I have done a truckload of hating and complaining. or If I came from another planet where people are made without the Hate polarity.

you seem like a super kind & very nice person so if I may ask and you are so inclined to share, what does it do to you when you read someone else complaining? Do you internalize it in a way that hurts you emotionally?

again, I am not teasing. I merely seek to understand better those who dislike complaining and the sharing of hate or negative feelings.

Well I do find repetitive and thus redundant complaining BORING.     But yea,  venting is healthy for the soul.  

• Like 1

You don't even need modern technology to avoid the ads/promos (pick one) on TCM. I just wait and turn on my TV when there's 60 seconds or fewer before the movie I want to watch is about to start. Now, if I'm watching more than one movie, I don't always turn my TV back off before the second one, but sometimes I do if they're running one of those really long Bonham Auction or Wine Club promos. Or if they're running a Pete Smith Specialty.

The thing is, of course, this is America (apologies to the unusually strong Canadian contingent on this board), and overly debating what America is about would probably move this thread to Off-Topic Chit-Chat, but one thing America is undeniably about is making money, and TCM is no exception. I don't really begrudge them their efforts to do so. I agree it can get annoying as there is zero chance they're ever going to make a penny off of me other than my subscribing to a cable service that carries them. Unless I win the lottery, I will never go to one of their festivals, take one of their cruises, buy an item at an auction, join their Backlot Club (or whatever it's called) or buy their wine. I've never bought any of their DVDs, either. There are too many cheaper used DVD options in my city. As such, I feel like I should be exempted from being subjected to their advertising, but of course that's not how advertising works.

Sister Arsenic, I have a friend who's a Buddhist who would vehemently argue with your assertion that complaining is "very, very healthy". He would tell you that complaining is creating a false narrative that you lack control that you use an excuse to not improve your situation in life. He would urge you to read some self-help manuals, take yoga, try self-hypnosis and take whatever steps necessary to eliminate complaining from your life. I don't agree with him 100 per cent, but I thought you ought to be aware there are other perspectives out there about the value of complaining besides yours. As for my personal opinion, I would say my general life experience is no one else on planet Earth wants to hear you complain and people generally end up hating people who do it a lot (my Buddhist friend never fails to let me know how disappointed he is in me if ever I complain about something), unless the two of you have something mutual to complain about, maybe. I'm curious when you do all this truckload of complaining, who's actually wiling to listen to you! I wonder if they complain about all your complaining behind your back ...

Not you or anyone else, it seems, as they announced that they are discontinuing the cruises.

When was this announced? Is the 2016 cruise the last one?

But they'll have something new to promote in its place, yes?

• Like 1

When was this announced? Is the 2016 cruise the last one?

But they'll have something new to promote in its place, yes?

Ah . . . they will always have something to promote in its place.  

Ah . . . they will always have something to promote in its place.  

They have a new "Selfie with the Classics" promo/contest coming up. People take selfies while standing in front of scenes from their favorite classic films, and the most clever selfie wins. The winner gets to present a night of programming while taking selfies the entire time. They will only text the intros, though, via Twitter. Talking is so 20th century. Sponsored by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Brad.

• Like 3

They have a new "Selfie with the Classics" promo/contest coming up. People take selfies while standing in front of scenes from their favorite classic films, and the most clever selfie wins. The winner gets to present a night of programming while taking selfies the entire time. They will only text the intros, though, via Twitter. Talking is so 20th century. Sponsored by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Brad.

Okay, I'm going to need to process this for a few minutes. LOL

UGH. They are really sucking up to the youth market........

Not you or anyone else, it seems, as they announced that they are discontinuing the cruises.

On a cruise, if you find you don't like the other people, you're stuck. At the film festival, at least you can go to the Whiskey-a Go-Go, or the current equivalent.

You're kidding, right??

• Like 1

On a cruise, if you find you don't like the other people, you're stuck. At the film festival, at least you can go to the Whiskey-a Go-Go, or the current equivalent.

Yes, I dont think I'd want to be stuck on a boat with Jerry Lewis for a week........

• Like 1

UGH. They are really sucking up to the youth market........

Do you think that's all it is..? Maybe they're just trying to be creative and do something a bit different. Older folks take selfies too.

I know TCM doesn't have an unlimited budget for advertising, but seeing the SAME ad for months (years?) makes most people zone out, or...flip the channel and watch something else...is seeing that wine ad for the 458th time going to  make anyone go, hey, I don't really drink wine, but what the heck, let me order a case?

Call me crazy, but...what might, just might appeal to lovers of classic movies, is ads talking about new to DVD/Blu-ray titles...no, not the 30 second ad they have done for years and years, I mean show a brief clip from a new DVD/Blu release (For instance, did "you" have any idea that the Rita Hayworth film, Sadie Thompson, was shot in 3-D???? and was recently released as a very limited edition Blu-Ray , by Twilight Time? Or there is a Cary Grant DVD set that came out a few months back with 4 films never on DVD?) show that ad up to the release date, then show some other new to DVD stuff a week later, and so on...win-win, TCM gets a little revenue, and the companies putting out classic films on DVDs/Blu's get the info to the kind of people that would buy the films

UHe9G5T.jpg

• Like 3