Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sick of the TCM Promos

I know TCM doesn't have an unlimited budget for advertising, but seeing the SAME ad for months (years?) makes most people zone out, or...flip the channel and watch something else...is seeing that wine ad for the 458th time going to  make anyone go, hey, I don't really drink wine, but what the heck, let me order a case?

Call me crazy, but...what might, just might appeal to lovers of classic movies, is ads talking about new to DVD/Blu-ray titles...no, not the 30 second ad they have done for years and years, I mean show a brief clip from a new DVD/Blu release (For instance, did "you" have any idea that the Rita Hayworth film, Sadie Thompson, was shot in 3-D???? and was recently released as a very limited edition Blu-Ray , by Twilight Time? Or there is a Cary Grant DVD set that came out a few months back with 4 films never on DVD?) show that ad up to the release date, then show some other new to DVD stuff a week later, and so on...win-win, TCM gets a little revenue, and the companies putting out classic films on DVDs/Blu's get the info to the kind of people that would buy the films

I agree. The constant barrage of Wine Club and TIffany promos is getting ridiculous. They dont really promote any DVD releases except their generic TCM store ones......

I know TCM doesn't have an unlimited budget for advertising, but seeing the SAME ad for months (years?) makes most people zone out, or...flip the channel and watch something else.

I used to think the same thing when I was young. Come to find out, when you see the same promos over and over its because it is working. It is effective. Remember, nothing makes it to a television screen by accident. Screentime is too valuable. Especially for a nationwide channel. 

So apparently, people are buying that wine. I have a friend who regularly drinks wine while watching TCM so the market is out there. I'm not a wine drinker myself so I really can't relate.

Call me crazy, but...what might, just might appeal to lovers of classic movies, is ads talking about new to DVD/Blu-ray titles...no, not the 30 second ad they have done for years and years, I mean show a brief clip from a new DVD/Blu release

DVD are slowly becoming a small niche item. Streaming is the future (and present ). I bet they are putting their energies on the new streaming service rather than new DVD spots that only few will buy.

DVD are slowly becoming a small niche item. Streaming is the future (and present ). I bet they are putting their energies on the new streaming service rather than new DVD spots that only few will buy.

I agree. I was surprised they didn't do some of this much sooner. They've focused on the DVD market for a long time, and there's probably not much gold left in that part of the mine.

I used to think the same thing when I was young. Come to find out, when you see the same promos over and over its because it is working. It is effective. Remember, nothing makes it to a television screen by accident. Screentime is too valuable. Especially for a nationwide channel. 

So apparently, people are buying that wine. I have a friend who regularly drinks wine while watching TCM so the market is out there. I'm not a wine drinker myself so I really can't relate.

Well, the Tiffany one isnt working for me. I change the channel! (the wine one too. LOL)

GGGGerald, on 25 Aug 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:snapback.png

I agree. I was surprised they didn't do some of this much sooner. They've focused on the DVD market for a long time, and there's probably not much gold left in that part of the mine.

Well, I disagree,to a certain extent. Who streams? Young people or older people? Yeah, there are no doubt a few/some older folks that stream, but...who likes old movies? Again, there are freaks, anomalies, but for the most part it's people that saw them on TV as kids or who are older than that and remember seeing them in theaters...Records never completely died out cuz there was always a niche market for them ... I

I sell stuff on ebay and amazon. I go to some estate sales (which is kinda depressing at times, seeing what everyone held so near and dear sold to whomever grabs it first) and I see that a lot of older folks collected classic films on DVD. And while sure, some were clearly purchased years ago, some of the dvds are Warner Archive, etc...probably had to ask the kids or grandkids to order the films for them, but they got them....but, if it's hard to market films to people that don't even know the films are available....granted, it was years ago, but on AMC, they advertised several of the Deanna Durbin films Universal put out  on VHS (My Mom and her sisters were huge fans) well into the VHS era. Well, I read later in the year that they sold the crap out of them . Now that a fair number of her films are on DVD, who would know? I think I saw a 3 second mention of a few of them from the TCM store...

I remember FOX even though they didn't promote it to speak of , released a Tyrone Power Box set a few years back, and it sold much better than they expected...

TCM has been good in the past mentioning a film they are showing being on DVD, so it gets a bit of a boost ....for anyone that saw Robert or Ben that one night...man, does no one remember how to do marketing anymore? I bet they could sell a ton of boxcar Willie cds even today :P

Yeah, well, I'LL tell ya what I'M "sick of" here!

It's this dumb as hell thing they're doin' now days with these kind'a things, and where the person who's SUPPOSE to be takin' to us is shown from 3/4 profile while they're supposedly talkin' to US, but instead looks as if they're talkin' to the somebody ELSE just off camera.

Yeah, yeah, I know this is somehow the "new and hip" thing to do now days, but personally I think it reeks of tryin' to be TOO damn "hip"!!!

(...I mean, yeah, I KNOW the kids now days are losing the ability of eye-contact while expressing themselves and because they're too damn busy relaying their oh-so deep thoughts via texting on their damn smartphones, but do we REALLY need to REINFORCE that kind of behavior???!!!)  LOL

• Like 2

I agree. The constant barrage of Wine Club and TIffany promos is getting ridiculous. They dont really promote any DVD releases except their generic TCM store ones......

My "favorite thing (not) is how the "News of the Month" has de-evolved into simply being a place to put more promos!  "It's time to consign (the TCM/Bonham auction) + The Wine Club (again) are being presented as "August Movie News."  It's absolutely laughable. Hmmm.  How about the "News of the Month" promoting vintage film festivals, vintage theatre restorations or other events of interest that TCM does NOT make money from???  

My "favorite thing (not) is how the "News of the Month" has de-evolved into simply being a place to put more promos!  "It's time to consign (the TCM/Bonham auction) + The Wine Club (again) are being presented as "August Movie News."  It's absolutely laughable. Hmmm.  How about the "News of the Month" promoting vintage film festivals, vintage theatre restorations or other events of interest that TCM does NOT make money from???  

I can't speak for the promos, because frankly I don't have any idea of what goes on.  It seems you have answered your own question though, in the last 6 words of your post.  Now if they were sponsoring or had a hand in those types of things, I am sure they would.

• Like 2

Yeah, well, I'LL tell ya what I'M "sick of" here!

It's this dumb as hell thing they're doin' now days with these kind'a things, and where the person who's SUPPOSE to be takin' to us is shown from 3/4 profile while they're supposedly talkin' to US, but instead looks as if they're talkin' to the somebody ELSE just off camera.

Yeah, yeah, I know this is somehow the "new and hip" thing to do now days, but personally I think it reeks of tryin' to be TOO damn "hip"!!!

(...I mean, yeah, I KNOW the kids now days are losing the ability of eye-contact while expressing themselves and because they're too damn busy relaying their oh-so deep thoughts via texting on their damn smartphones, but do we REALLY need to REINFORCE that kind of behavior???!!!)  LOL

I raised a concern over this when Bill Hader did Essentials, Jr. back in .. 2013(?). It drives me nuts. As soon as they hit that perspective with the camera, I flip channels until the intro is over. I referred to it making me feel like a I was a "third person removed" from the presentation. I suppose it does offer some impression of being disconnected; not having to make eye contact - aren't we all voyeurs?

Since that time I have seen it overused on several PBS shows which are aimed at a younger audience. 

I have tried rotating my TV to realign the host's eyes, but it doesn't work.

:P

Ladies and gentlemen, presented for your disapproval: Exhibit A  (from 2011)

kaU6Jiu.jpg

Another bit of camerawork which I don't recall seeing in any of TCM's promos or intros (yet): the "can't seem to get the freakin' focus right" technique. This is part of the hand-held camera wave of shooting. Even when the scene is perfectly focused they quickly un-focus and re-focus again - just to grab attention.

In the 60s, I used to take drugs to get this effect on purpose - I grew up and out of it.

Do this and I'm gone.

• Like 2

Whatever happened to Essentials Jr.? Has that been discontinued? I dont remember it being on this summer. 

Essentials Jr. was last a part of TCM's scheduling back in the summer of 2014. It's apparently been discontinued, which seems a shame.

If Essentials, Sr. isn't being aired, it probably isn't appropriate to air Essentials, Jr. either.

There hasn't been any official announcement that either series has ended. So maybe they are just on a long-term hiatus.

The series themselves? Or the films included in them?

Take your pick. The entire concept has run its course. Eventually, to select a film that hasn't yet been chosen as an Essential, they'll have to select something like BACHELOR IN PARADISE.

Take your pick. The entire concept has run its course. Eventually, to select a film that hasn't yet been chosen as an Essential, they'll have to select something like BACHELOR IN PARADISE.

Well, I think there are still some avenues they haven't explored yet with the Essentials franchise. Namely, they could feature an animated feature film. And they could include some more foreign film essentials. I'd also like to see them show an essential serial, that would be fun and different.

Eventually they'll get to that one........Soon  EVERY film will be an  ESSENTIAL!.

If Essentials, Sr. isn't being aired, it probably isn't appropriate to air Essentials, Jr. either.

LOL. Well SR has to do with RO being ill. I never heard why JR bit the dust..........

Is it okay to say that at least TCM still doesn't show commercials during the movie? I'm sure that's unique for a television station. And rarely the logo on the screen during movies.

Thanks, TCM.

--

• Like 5

Is it okay to say that at least TCM still doesn't show commercials during the movie? I'm sure that's unique for a television station. And rarely the logo on the screen during movies.

Thanks, TCM.

--

YES. So far so good. I hope it stays that way! At least the between movie filler doesnt screw up the movie.

• Like 1

YES. So far so good. I hope it stays that way! At least the between movie filler doesnt screw up the movie.

Yeah, I hear ya, Hibi.

But I gotta admit there ARE occasions where I kind'a miss Cal Worthington and his dog Spot!

(...and now in the key of B-flat..."If you're lookin' for a better set of wheels..'I will stand upon my head to beat all deals, I will stand upon my head 'til my ears are turnin' red'..Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal")

;)

They have a new "Selfie with the Classics" promo/contest coming up. People take selfies while standing in front of scenes from their favorite classic films, and the most clever selfie wins. The winner gets to present a night of programming while taking selfies the entire time. They will only text the intros, though, via Twitter. Talking is so 20th century. Sponsored by Liberty Mutual Insurance and Brad.

Sort of like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGjZilXHy3Q

• Like 2