Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Van Heflin is a great actor. Won best supporting actor Oscar for Johnny Eager. He was in the broadway cast of Philadelphia Story I believe in the James Stewart role. One of his best "bad guys" is opposite Joan Crawford in Warner Brothers classic 1947 Noir "Possessed". He's one of the few actors who can play opposite Crawford and seem to dominate her. He's very masculine in that movie and I think quite sexy although I've heard many others disagree. I know my mother, who is a very beautiful woman, always had a crush on Van Heflin so he was quite alluring to the opposite sex. Not a pretty boy type. His sister was Frances Heflin who played Erica Kane's mother on the soap ALL MY CHILDREN.

And let's not forget his extremely memorable performance in AIRPORT. He and Maureen Stapleton turned their scenes in that potboiler into Shakespeare!

Best, Joe

I like him as the good guy, my favorites being EAST SIDE, WEST SIDE and BF's DAUGHTER, both with his best leading lady, Barbara Stanwyck. They were good together.

His best supporting role, his Oscar winner, in JOHNNY EAGER is first rate (but so is the whole cast).

Another worth watching is THE KID GLOVE KILLER, with Marsha Hunt.

Attractive? In his youth, yes, he was rather sexy. But he aged poorly, unfortunately.

Miss G

I just finished watching 'Kid Glove Killer' - Did anyone catch Ava Gardner as the carhop? I don't always trust my eyes so I looked it up on IMDB, I had to go into the (more) listing under cast but I was right. It was Ava, but in an uncredited part.

I'm looking forward to this afternoon's later offerings.

Anne

What a GREAT day for watching TCM. Every single Van Heflin film was exceedingly good. He played so many varied parts, and his portrayal of Andrew Johnson was terrific. Somebody mentioned how strong he could be with a good female lead, unfortunately he wasn't too strong in B.F.'s Daughter, I wish they had played East Side, West Side instead.

Green Dolphin Street would have been good too.

Anne

He was one solid performer, who never failed to entertain, whatever the role -- good, bad or mugly. : )

Too bad I missed most of the flicks today, and only caught B.F's Daughter. I wish they had put a long-haired wig on Barbara, and different make-up for the earlier years, to soften her look, and then age gradually into her current age. But...I wasn't around to give advice in 1948. lol!

The bits I saw of Tennessee Johnson looked pretty good. Hope to catch it in its entirety one day.

By the way, who do I complain to about the nutshell descriptions accompanying the titles, on the schedule? More and more, they seem to be written by 22-year-olds who've never seen a particular movie and, if queried, may think Van Heflin was another 80's group. ; )

For instance...B.F.'s Daughter: "A professor doesn't know his wife is an heiress." Uhhhh....he knew she was an heiress the same day they met. Oy!

> Another worth watching is THE KID GLOVE KILLER, with

> Marsha Hunt.

That was worth watching. Van Heflin vacuuming people's heads? Hahahahahaha!!!

> Attractive? In his youth, yes, he was rather sexy.

> But he aged poorly, unfortunately.

Watch FMC's horrible pan-and-scan of "Black Widow", and see how it makes everybody look badly aged. It's awful what they did to Gene Tierney. :(

Yes, that's unfortunate but in Heflin's case he gained a lot of weight and got a bit froggy looking, which wasn't cute. But he never ceased to be a first rate actor and by the way---I've always loved his voice. So warm and woodsy.

And don't you think he was one of those guys who always looked comfortable holding a pipe? Pipe smokers are fun to spot in the movies, because the classics especially are filled with them. It's seems sometimes to be on purpose, as if to signal that this man is "dependable, intellectual, warm and masculine".

Miss G

What a Hollywood wonder! A man who grew old gracefully. Unlike many men, Heflin did not age well, but I give him credit for accepting it, and like Miss G says, it doesn't take away from his performances.

I admire people like him, Sally Field, Susan Sarandon and others who consider aging as a reward for years of hard work instead of living to support their plastic surgeons. As long as their names are up there in the top 4 or 5 of the cast list, I'll go to see their films, because I feel they are REAL people, and having been around long enough to grow into parents and grandparents roles means they are pretty much worth their salt and my theater entrance fee.

Anne

I enjoyed all the Van Heflin movies that aired... and I managed to stay awake through most of 'em! :P Starting your day at 3am ain't easy. I give Van all the credit for keeping me alert. :) I think he was a great actor...certainly the best thing about that cheesefest, "Airport" - made you really care about his character, despite very little screentime.

How many people *do* age well? Honestly? (Especially without the aid of plastic surgery) Getting older means you lose your looks - in my opinion it's inevitable. I admire those who accept that fact & "grow old gracefully" instead of obsessing over it and trying desperately to cling to youth.

Aaaanyway, Van rocked. He's always fun to watch. He should've been Oscar-nominated for "Tennessee Johnson", and "The Three Musketeers" (seriously!)

ETA: Hey mrsl - funny we both posted about growing old gracefully vs. plastic surgery, within a few minutes of eachother. :) Great minds, and all that!

I can't get off this thread.

You said "How many people *do* age well? Honestly? (Especially without the aid of plastic surgery) Getting older means you lose your looks - in my opinion it's inevitable. I admire those who accept that fact & "grow old gracefully" instead of obsessing over it and trying desperately to cling to youth."

Of course you're right, but to name a few - Cary Grant, George Clooney's Dad, Nick, our own Robert Osborne, Debbie Reynolds, and Doris Roberts (Everybody Loves Raymond), and Susan Sarandon. I'm pretty sure none of them have had plastic. A friend of mine has had it on chin, neck and eyes, and she really stands out from the rest of us, but the funny thing is, she doesn't get that many offers to dance or have drinks - men know better, at least in my generation.

Anne

I quite agree---and it's sad when I see what someone like Burt Reynolds has done to himself in order to cling to a youthful look. He can't move his face! It's upsetting, and I'm not even a fan of his!

Some actors I think aged exceptionally well (although some aged too early due to hearty partying) include: Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, William Powell, Clark Gable, Robert Ryan and Walter Pidgeon.

Back to Van, he was also excellent in ACT OF VIOLENCE, opposite one of my favorites, Robert Ryan (which I understand is coming out on dvd). A terrific noir---very gritty in every sense of the word.

Miss G

mrsl - I guess there are exceptions to every rule :) Some rare, lucky individuals even become better-looking as they get older. But overall, I stand by my ruthless generalization. :P

You really think Robert Osbourne is plastic surgery-free? I think his face is incredibly smooth and unlined for a 74 year old! (Just learned his age the other day on the boards and boy was I shocked) He doesn't seem to smile as widely as he used to (judging by older Private Screenings I've seen rerun) and his facial expressions seem a bit...limited. I've been thinking he's had some work done, but that's just my guess.

Yes, Debbie Reynolds looks good too...if she's had surgery it was probably more subtle, 'cause her face is still expressive. Cary Grant - I agree with you there. :)

I'm very excited about "Act Of Violence" coming to DVD (in Warner's next Film Noir Collection) - plus more Van Heflin films coming soon... "Madame Bovary" and "The Three Musketeers" in the Literary Classics Collection DVD boxset, this March. :) I'm trying to collect all his movies, so I was glad TCM ran some of his early work...b-movies that are probably too obscure to be considered "commercial" contenders for DVD release.

Uh oh....hate to tell you, mrsl, but Doris Roberts has had plastic surgery. While very good, it is quite extensive...not Joan Rivers/Burt Reynolds/cat lady massive, but quite a bit and again, verrrry good.

I can't find the show I saw her in, and barely recognized her -- it might have been a Full House from 1989, according to imdb, but she looked a different woman. You know, the usual droopings under the chin, eyes, mouth, etc. But hey, she's 76 and I'm sure Hollyweird isn't kind to elderly women. Input Doris Roberts into Google and you'll see what I mean with the pictures that come up.

I doubt that Ms. Reynolds is surgery free either. Nobody looks that good at 74. Look at her imdb entry, and note her in 1996 with Albert Brooks and her today. After all, she does Vegas shows every year.

But again, more power to them both, since they've done a better job of it than Mr. Reynolds, who obviously went to the Acme Plastic Surgery Clinic, along with Joan and Michael Douglas.

It's nice to hear that men you know don't expect women to slice and dice their faces in a vain attempt at stopping the clock. If a woman wants to do some minor tuneups for her own self, fine. But when someone completely changes the way they look and can't stop, like Reynolds, they would do better at looking into their cranium than their mirror.

dolores