Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JU85XW

TCM listing shows wrong day and date for films that start after midnight...

When viewing the day and date of a film showing that starts after midnight, the listing will show the previous day / date instead of the actual day / date.

Examples:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/

When opening the link today (or any day), go to the listings that start after midnight (whatever time zone you are in, or that you have set).

I have my time zone set for Pacific, and for show Tuesday, August 23, 2016, I see two films that start after midnight Pacific: Car That Became A Star, The (1964) and Contempt (1963). Of course, for Eastern time there are 4, as Stopover In Hollywood (1963) and Masculin-Feminin (1966) start after midnight Eastern time.

So all 4 of those movies actually start Wednesday, August 24, 2016 Eastern time, and 2 of them start Wednesday Aug 24 Pacific time.

You can also click on each of these 4 films and they also show the incorrect day and date:

Examples:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/71459/Contempt/

Contempt(1964)

Tuesday, August 23 @ 04:00 AM (ET)

Tuesday, Aug 23 is incorrect. This should read Wednesday, August 24 to be correct.

Can this be fixed? It is very confusing.

It's been this way forever. It's because they're all on the same calendar page schedule.

It's been this way forever. It's because they're all on the same calendar page schedule.

Right...historically, TCM's "day" begins at 6 a.m. EST. So anything broadcast at 6 in the morning or after is the new day of programming, and it goes up to 5:59 a.m. of the following day.

It's confusing at first but you get used to it.

So that's it? It's always been that way, get used to it?

Don't you know the old saying about accepting that which one can't change?

Don't you know the old saying about accepting that which one can't change?

I'm new. I don't know that. Why can't this be corrected?

Why can't this be corrected?

Perhaps a better question is why TCM schedules their films from 6:00 a.m. to 5:59 a.m. each day. There is probably a reason for it and why it won't be changed. My guess is it might have something to do with the rates they pay to lease certain films from outside libraries (probably certain hours cost more to broadcast something) and it might also have to do with how they report schedule information to cable providers. I'm just guessing. It would be nice if they gave us an answer and told us directly why it's done this way.

I'm just guessing. It would be nice if they gave us an answer and told us directly why it's done this way.

Or, alternatively, they could correct the error.

Isle of the Dead (1945), Friday, August 26 @ 03:15 AM (ET)?

Nope.  Saturday, August 27 @ 03:15 AM (ET).

LcZWk9m.png

Isle of the Dead (1945), Friday, August 26 @ 03:15 AM (ET)?

Nope.  Saturday, August 27 @ 03:15 AM (ET).

LcZWk9m.png

You're right...it doesn't seem correct. The only thing I can say is at least they are a day ahead and not a day behind.

So that's it? It's always been that way, get used to it?

Since this has been brought up before (several times), and some of us have tried to get someone at TCM to address the issue to no avail. "Getting Used To It" appears to be the only option allowed us if we choose to frequent TCM and these boards.

Quite frankly, there are much bigger "fish" to fry here, and all efforts to get TCM to address any of those more pressing concerns has been negligible.

If you stick around you will eventually discover that TCM may have eyes, ears and a mouth, but (moderators aside) they are apparently blind, deaf and dumb when it comes to responding to members of these boards.

Some even joined the "Inner Circle" with hopes to bring concerns to "someones" attention, with no positive effect. 

So unless you are privy to someone with clout on the "inside" I doubt you will find anyone to listen, let alone act, upon anything problematic that you discover at or on TCM.

So it makes logical sense (to those of us who have tried) to "accept the the things we cannot change." It's simply not worth beating your head against a brick wall over it. (In the grand scheme of all things, this kind of stuff is really trivial after all, isn't it?).

Of course you are welcome, always welcome, to give it your best shot (or shots) at making some kind of change for the better...

I've found that we are all of limited resource, and the older we get, the less time we have to apply ourselves to making any kind of hopefully significant change for the better. So one must learn to choose their battles carefully and wisely.

Change what we can, accept what we cannot... The wisdom is in knowing the difference.

• Like 1

I refuse to accept the status quo. Appreciate the background though. I even cancelled my Now Playing subscription because of those frackening stickers they use to hold the pages together while coming in through the mail - ruins the whole issue. I banged my head against the wall to try and bring that to their attention and got nowhere.

Since this has been brought up before (several times), and some of us have tried to get someone at TCM to address the issue to no avail. "Getting Used To It" appears to be the only option allowed us if we choose to frequent TCM and these boards.

Quite frankly, there are much bigger "fish" to fry here, and all efforts to get TCM to address any of those more pressing concerns has been negligible.

If you stick around you will eventually discover that TCM may have eyes, ears and a mouth, but (moderators aside) they are apparently blind, deaf and dumb when it comes to responding to members of these boards.
Some even joined the "Inner Circle" with hopes to bring concerns to "someones" attention, with no positive effect. 

So unless you are privy to someone with clout on the "inside" I doubt you will find anyone to listen, let alone act, upon anything problematic that you discover at or on TCM.

So it makes logical sense (to those of us who have tried) to "accept the the things we cannot change." It's simply not worth beating your head against a brick wall over it. (In the grand scheme of all things, this kind of stuff is really trivial after all, isn't it?).

Of course you are welcome, always welcome, to give it your best shot (or shots) at making some kind of change for the better...

I've found that we are all of limited resource, and the older we get, the less time we have to apply ourselves to making any kind of hopefully significant change for the better. So one must learn to choose their battles carefully and wisely.

Change what we can, accept what we cannot... The wisdom is in knowing the difference.

I refuse to accept the status quo. Appreciate the background though. I even cancelled my Now Playing subscription because of those frackening stickers they use to hold the pages together while coming in through the mail - ruins the whole issue. I banged my head against the wall to try and bring that to their attention and got nowhere.

So you stopped watching TCM because of this? 

I only ask because that would be the only way one could refuse to accept the status quo as it relates to the complaint.  

Thanks for bringing your perspective and wise words to this discussion. Good post, Stephan.

Obviously, there is only so much the 'average' TCM viewer can do in these situations. No use getting bent out of shape about it.

Nope. I'm not nuts. It's the only channel on t.v. that I watch. Period.

I think what James was saying is that if you choose to keep watching TCM, then on some level, you choose to accept the status quo about how TCM presents its schedule information. 

I think what James was saying is that if you choose to keep watching TCM, then on some level, you choose to accept the status quo about how TCM presents its schedule information. 

Yes, that was my point.

Both of us are known to be open about how we feel TCM could improve;  less repeats,  less star driven,  less from the Turner library and more films from studios like Columbia, Fox,  Republic, Paramount  Allied Artist,  etc.... 

But at the same time one has to be realistic.  

• Like 1

Yes, that was my point.

Both of us are known to be open about how we feel TCM could improve;  less repeats,  less star driven,  less from the Turner library and more films from studios like Columbia, Fox,  Republic, Paramount  Allied Artist,  etc.... 

But at the same time one has to be realistic.  

Yes, because something most people fail to realize is the kind of business model they're operating with...and how that influences the decisions they make, from the movies broadcast all the way on down to website features. 

Once I realized I might have been complaining too much. Then when Lauren Bacall died, Osborne said during her memorial tribute that she used to call in and complain when they showed too many Elvis musicals. "Give us something classic, give us Fred & Ginger," she would say on the phone, then she'd hang up. I then decided if Lauren could make a point of suggesting things to the programmers, then so can everyone else-- as long as we're realistic about it and as long as we're not complaining just to complain.

I can figure out the schedule. The fact that I have to figure it out, that it's plainly an incorrect listing with the wrong day and date, is unacceptable.

I can figure out the schedule. The fact that I have to figure it out, that it's plainly an incorrect listing with the wrong day and date, is unacceptable.

Yes, you've made your point about that already.

I'm part of the TCM Inner Circle so I'll write to them and ask that they correct this.    But please don't hold your breath.   I'd hate for you to turn blue. 

I'm part of the TCM Inner Circle so I'll write to them and ask that they correct this.    But please don't hold your breath.   I'd hate for you to turn blue. 

Chances are they didn't just randomly pick 6 a.m. as the start of each new day on the schedule...there's a reason for it. 

Thanks.

Chances are they didn't just randomly pick 6 a.m. as the start of each new day on the schedule...there's a reason for it. 

Is the 'new day' at 6 a.m.?     I believe it should be around 3:00,  eastern and therefore 6:00 pacific.

When talking with people it is common usage that if one says, I was out from 11:00 until 3:00 Friday NIGHT,  that they really mean 3:00 am Saturday morning.       I.e.  if an event STARTS in the PM but ENDS in the AM the day associated with the PM is used.  

BUT if one is only referencing one time period they should use the actual day.   e.g.  I got home on Saturday at 4:00 am. 

To me when TCM list the 'day' the film is being shown they should always use the START day.   So a film that starts at 1:00 a.m. Tuesday morning should list the 'day' as Tuesday.