Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
JU85XW

TCM listing shows wrong day and date for films that start after midnight...

They start the day at around 6:00 AM EST because that's roughly when the sun rises. It's when the actual daylight starts. 

As for confusing people, TCM has scheduled like this for as long as I recall, which is at least 10-15 years. Most people are used to it. And in the age of On-Screen cable/satellite guides, it doesn't matter as much anyway. 

Is this scheduling confusing your ability to record these late-night/early morning movies? How are you recording them? Are you receiving your TCM via cable? Do you have a cable box? Are you using a VCR or DVD-R to record these films, or a DVR? Is this scheduling format used by TCM's website upsetting your method of recording?

Is the 'new day' at 6 a.m.?     I believe it should be around 3:00,  eastern and therefore 6:00 pacific.

When talking with people it is common usage that if one says, I was out from 11:00 until 3:00 Friday NIGHT,  that they really mean 3:00 am Saturday morning.       I.e.  if an event STARTS in the PM but ENDS in the AM the day associated with the PM is used.  

BUT if one is only referencing one time period they should use the actual day.   e.g.  I got home on Saturday at 4:00 am. 

To me when TCM list the 'day' the film is being shown they should always use the START day.   So a film that starts at 1:00 a.m. Tuesday morning should list the 'day' as Tuesday.

When I moved this summer from Colorado to Arizona, I still had it set on MST. Then I had to switch it to PST. However, Arizona does not observe daylight savings time, so in October, I will have to change my viewing of the schedule back to MST.

And Larry is right, the TCM day starts at 6 EST.

They start the day at around 6:00 AM EST because that's roughly when the sun rises. It's when the actual daylight starts. 

As for confusing people, TCM has scheduled like this for as long as I recall, which is at least 10-15 years. Most people are used to it. And in the age of On-Screen cable/satellite guides, it doesn't matter as much anyway. 

Is this scheduling confusing your ability to record these late-night/early morning movies? How are you recording them? Are you receiving your TCM via cable? Do you have a cable box? Are you using a VCR or DVD-R to record these films, or a DVR? Is this scheduling format used by TCM's website upsetting your method of recording?

Based on the example related to Isle of the Dead,  I agree with the OP that this is just flat out wrong.   

When it says Friday,  3:15 a.m. to me that means what it says,  and NOT Saturday,  3:15 a.m. 

While TCM's 'day' can start at 6:00 a.m.  as it relates to theme programming (e.g. for Summer Under the Stars,  when TCM switches from one actor to another)  but when listing the DAY a film is being shown on, I believe it is insane NOT to use the actual day.

When it says Friday,  3:15 a.m. to me that means what it says,  and NOT Saturday,  3:15 a.m. 

But at least it's a day ahead, not a day behind. People would be complaining they've missed films they wanted to see a lot more often.

But at least it's a day ahead, not a day behind. People would be complaining they've missed films they wanted to see a lot more often.

You already said that. Remember?

You already said that. Remember?

I think it's good to repeat positive things instead of repeating negative things. :)