Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Re: SUBTITLES SOMETIMES GET CUT OFF FROM THE BOTTOM EDGE -- for example: TCM will air AND GOD CREATED WOMAN today (8-23-16, 6:15pm Eastern), & while the print may appear fine, the formatting of the broadcast somehow cuts off the lower edge of the image and renders unreadable any subtitles of greater than 1 line.  I personally witnessed the issue with the Mar 2016 airing.  (And no, it wasn't simply that my TV was set on the wrong screen ratio.  No possible choice of screen settings recovered the missing edge.  The image simply didn't broadcast fully) ...

Evidently TCM didn't see this same complaint by past TCM reviewers: http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/67302/And-God-Created-Woman/user-reviews.html

(Perhaps the broadcast slightly enlarges the image, but somehow the lower edge is cropped off.) And it's happened with other films, like PEPPERMINT FRAPPE starring Geraldine Chaplin... 

I sent an email yesterday about this but perhaps this forum will get quicker attention.  (Sure would be nice to see the Bardot movie this time.)

Watching And Man Created Woman (1956), no matter what screen ratio I set my TV on, the English subtitles are clipped off at the bottom.

The first line is ok but the second line has the bottoms of it's letters clipped.

Not TCM, it's either your set or your provider.  Just checked on my two TV's.  One is old CRT SD and if I use the smaller screen size, I see all the lines of subtitles.  Some weird thing allows me to change from the small box to full screen by going to another channel and then coming back.  Same thing happens on a lot of channels, but not sure why or how.  Tech was not even aware of how it did it.

The Full screen does cut off the right and left sides somewhat.

Ironically it I watch AGCW on my HD TV on either the SD or HD channel, the second line is cut off.

Have no idea what screen settings are set on for either one or for the two Charter cable boxes.

Watching And Man Created Woman (1956), no matter what screen ratio I set my TV on, the English subtitles are clipped off at the bottom.

The first line is ok but the second line has the bottoms of it's letters clipped.

Can you reset your cable box resolution? I've had that happen during Rocco and His Brothers while my resolution was set for 1080i. By going to setting/high-resolution, I was able to set the image to 4801 (standard definition) and while the image was smaller, the captions were all there, even when I used the TV setting to zoom in.

Can you reset your cable box resolution? I've had that happen during Rocco and His Brothers while my resolution was set for 1080i. By going to setting/high-resolution, I was able to set the image to 4801 (standard definition) and while the image was smaller, the captions were all there, even when I used the TV setting to zoom in.

I have no cable box. I have a coaxial connection from a router that splits TV/internet. I'm stuck with 1080i.

I'll need to look into changing the source settings, but I'm on satellite (DirectTV), so may not work the same as your cable box. 

HOWEVER (!) I noticed something interesting ==> when I kept the film running but ran some menu items, the image drops to a very small unviewable screen, and I could tell the missing the edges ARE there in the broadcast.  The missing subtitles are very close to the edge of the image .. but then when you actually view the film they're cut off.  Now I'm wondering if it's my brand of TV.  Maybe the molding surrounding the flat screen is clipping off a little image.  I'll check later to see if better luck with one of other TVs.

Btw, the same problem occurred today with another Bardot fickl:  THE NIGHT HEAVEN FELL.

• Like 1

I'll need to look into changing the source settings, but I'm on satellite (DirectTV), so may not work the same as your cable box. 

HOWEVER (!) I noticed something interesting ==> when I kept the film running but ran some menu items, the image drops to a very small unviewable screen, and I could tell the missing the edges ARE there in the broadcast.  The missing subtitles are very close to the edge of the image .. but then when you actually view the film they're cut off.  Now I'm wondering if it's my brand of TV.  Maybe the molding surrounding the flat screen is clipping off a little image.  I'll check later to see if better luck with one of other TVs.

Btw, the same problem occurred today with another Bardot fickl:  THE NIGHT HEAVEN FELL.

I know it's not the molding surrounding the screen on my Samsung because I've got the top and bottom black bars with the picture scrunched down between them in  16 : 9   ratio setting - plenty of room for subtitles.

FaHOboF.jpg

I know it's not the molding surrounding the screen on my Samsung because I've got the top and bottom black bars with the picture scrunched down between them in  16 : 9   ratio setting - plenty of room for subtitles.

FaHOboF.jpg

Yes, that's how my screen looks too.  And in normal viewing mode the titles cut off, but when I keep the program running but check the menu (like to see what's playing on other channels), the image goes to a small thumbnail -- and while it's not practical to watch a show like that, I now *can* see the subtitles are being fully broadcast. 

It was a goofy off-chance idea about the TV case/molding.  Actually it's WORSE on my other two sets.

Yes, that's how my screen looks too.  And in normal viewing mode the titles cut off, but when I keep the program running but check the menu (like to see what's playing on other channels), the image goes to a small thumbnail -- and while it's not practical to watch a show like that, I now *can* see the subtitles are being fully broadcast. 

It was a goofy off-chance idea about the TV case/molding.  Actually it's WORSE on my other two sets.

I've noticed in the subsequent films the titles are moved up - a single line of dialog is in the lower black bar and double lines have the first line partially in the screen image. The whole dialog has become visible.

p.s. I see my other thread from General Discussions has been merged with this one. Very nicely done, I must say. I give our Moderator a 10.0

;)

AGCW second line of subtitle and very bottom of single line was also cut off in both HD and SD on my Plasma HD TV.  Moreover, was also cut off on my CRT SD TV.  No adjustment resolve so must be a TCM issue.    Others who have no problem are indeed fortunate.

I agree:

Evidently TCM didn't see this same complaint by past TCM reviewers: http://www.tcm.com/t...er-reviews.html

Stephen L