Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If The Moderators Took Offense, I Apologize;

Palmerin

all I want is to know if Vazquez is a fellow Boricua.

In the 60s and 70s there was a sisters' singing trio, the Claribelles, who modeled themselves on the Lennon Sisters. One of them appeared in a commercial for babies' products, and she mentioned her daughter, JENNIFER. When I heard that Celtic name, I immediately thought: the grandparents of that child are obviously very fond of THE SONG OF BERNADETTE.

Well, I CERTAINLY "took offense" anyway, Palmerin!

No, not at YOU, but at the moderators who've wiped clean any evidence of that "Heyzeus=Jesus" remark I made to Arturo in your now gone to the cornfield "Is Triffany a fellow Puerto Rican?" thread!

(...but I think I'll soon get over this)

;)

• Like 1

No, not at YOU, but at the moderators who've wiped clean any evidence of that "Heyzeus=Jesus" remark I made to Arturo in your now gone to the cornfield "Is Triffany a fellow Puerto Rican?" thread!

;)

I guess I missed you remark, and it appears the thread is no more.

;)

It's not just the tacky discussing of Tiffany's name or nationality that I resent-- I resent all of this criticism of her as a human being in addition to her as an on-air personality.

I know people are bored and don't have a lot to do and finding some defenseless person that they can make fun of gets them excited.

But at the same time if they could just read back all the things that they have said about this young lady, it would make them feel very small.

But we were all young once and that should be enough said. We need to get back and support the younger generation.

But I would really be sorry for them if they're criticizing her because of her nationality or her ethnicity-- as subconscious as this fact maybe to some people.

Some comments about her have been down right vulgar..

She's a real person not a dead movie star or a fictional character, so there ought to be a little more consideration of that fact.

• Like 6

all I want is to know if Vazquez is a fellow Boricua.

In the 60s and 70s there was a sisters' singing trio, the Claribelles, who modeled themselves on the Lennon Sisters. One of them appeared in a commercial for babies' products, and she mentioned her daughter, JENNIFER. When I heard that Celtic name, I immediately thought: the grandparents of that child are obviously very fond of THE SONG OF BERNADETTE.

whats a boricua?

It's not just the tacky discussing of Tiffany's name or nationality that I resent-- I resent all of this criticism of her as a human being in addition to her as an on-air personality.

I know people are bored and don't have a lot to do and finding some defenseless person that they can make fun of gets them excited.

But at the same time if they could just read back all the things that they have said about this young lady, it would make them feel very small.

But we were all young once and that should be enough said. We need to get back and support the younger generation.

But I would really be sorry for them if they're criticizing her because of her nationality or her ethnicity-- as subconscious as this fact maybe to some people.

Some comments about her have been down right vulgar..

She's a real person not a dead movie star or a fictional character, so there ought to be a little more consideration of that fact.

Aw just a buch of old foggies who hate her cause shes younger & got the job shes the best host tcms ever had 

That's a person from Puerto Rico. The original Taino Indian name.for the island.was.Borinquen, hence Boricua.

PS.....I believe Tiffany has stated she is Puerto Rican.

So then NOT the Heart hit record, eh Arturo?!

(...yeah, I wasn't that sure about that anyway, ya know!) ;)

OK, now that it is firmly established that Tiffany is indeed of Puerto Rican ancestry, as stated in the New York Post, May  26, 2016:

"Proud of her Puerto Rican heritage, and raised by her single mom in Bayside, Vazquez is not only just the third host in TCM history, she's also the first woman------and the first person of color."

However, it should also be noted that this is NOT the problem.

OK, now that it is firmly established that Tiffany is indeed of Puerto Rican ancestry, as stated in the New York Post, May  26, 2016:

"Proud of her Puerto Rican heritage, and raised by her single mom in Bayside, Vazquez is not only just the third host in TCM history, she's also the first woman------and the first person of color."

However, it should also be noted that this is NOT the problem.

How is she a person of color?. She is as white as I am. Many residents of Puerto Rico are Caucasian. I can see her being classified as "Hispanic", but not a "person of color".

How is she a person of color?. She is as white as I am. Many residents of Puerto Rico are Caucasian. I can see her being classified as "Hispanic", but not a "person of color".

Hmmm.....

It's really only in more recent history that Latinos themselves considered theirselves to be people of "color".

We had some Mexican kids in the grade school I went to and we kids at the time never thought about them being anything else but kids of some other "nationality".  Like me and Billy Weir being Polish, or Vinnie Jesu being Italian and so on...

In fact, my WIFE, who is of Mexican descent, showed me her birth certificate from Webb County, Texas, and in 1941, when racism was supposedly much higher in those days, the doctor designated, on the line that asks about "race" put down that SHE was "white"!  So......THERE! 

Sepiatone

So Vazquez is a compatriot; !QUE BUENO!=HOW NICE!.

I pray that her Spanish may be better than that of the woman with whom I share a mother; she speaks a strange Spanglish in which the syntax and verbs are Spanish, but the nouns are all English.

Puertorriqueños go from purely European, through many shades of brown, to black. There is also some Native American in the mix, as well as a smattering of everything else. This is the norm in most Latin American countries, although in many the prevalence of black blood is replaced by the Indian blood. Usually, those of European heritage as well as mixed individuals of lighter complexion are usually the persons in power.

In the past, in this country, Latin American groups strived to have birth certificates.denote the person is "Caucasian", to try to escape the rampant racism of the time, if only on paper. Since the rise of multi-culturalism, and less overt discrimination practices, these marginalized groups have aligned themselves with the term "people of color", both to express the mixed population in a more truthful way, and to present strenght in numbers with other similarly historically oppressed groups. The Census now has questions about "Non-Hispanic" White, or Non-Hispanic Black, etc.

Ya know, Arturo. When it comes to knowing this kind'a stuff and in fact a whole mess o' stuff, and your great ability to relay this kind'a info to others in a manner in which is easily understandable, I gotta say you truly are the "magic man" around here, dude.

See how I so smoothly worked a reference to "Heart" into this thing again?! ;)

(...and which I THINK in Spanish would be "Corazón" , RIGHT?!) 

• Like 1

Here's another track in some of this.....

My wife and her family informed me early on that for some reason Mexicans where they grew up (in Ecorse, MI) regarded Puerto Ricans pretty much the same was white Americans thought of African-Americans back in the dismal '50's.  Like somehow they were of a "lower class" of Latino.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings