Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bonsoir, Brigitte-- For One Night Only

Princess of Tap

I've never been a fan of Brigitte Bardot - - but I never miss any opportunity to watch a film in French.

This is a great night for me. TCM is all in French. On parle en français.

Of course, maybe we've seen a little higher level of Cinema when we saw an evening of Truffaut or a funnier and more sincerely heart-warming one with Fernandel, but things being as they are it's French and it's Bardot!

A vôtre--

Bonne Nuit!

• Like 2

While her sexiness was usually exploited in a lot of fluff, she did make a number of titles I like.  Some are more serious, some are more fun:

. . . .And God Created Woman  (1956)--her break-out movie.

The Night Heaven Fell (1958)--a perhaps overwrought tale of two young lovers fleeing the police.  It doesn't end well.

Come Dance With Me!  (1959)--humorous murder mystery chock full of false accusations, amateur sleuths tangling with the police, and everybody ending up where they should be.

Viva Maria!  (1965)--Luis Malle directed Miss Bardot and Jean Moreau in this spoofy, satiric tale of two showgirls/revolutionaries in nineteenth century South America, complete with gross obese military tyrants, cynical clergy, martyred liberators, upwelling--I mean--uprising peasantry. . . .and strip-teases.

Two Weeks in September  (1967)--Miss Bardot plays a frenchwoman on a modeling assignment in England, where she hooks up with a guy, and goes romping with him to Scotland.  It's an interlude in her life, but then her life re-intervenes.

• Like 3

I would have liked a chance to see "Shalako" (1968), an English-language Western with Bardot opposite another great European import -- Sir Sean Connery. And what a supporting cast: Stephen Boyd, Honor Blackman, Woody Strode, Jack Hawkins and Peter van Eyck!

shalako-4.jpg

• Like 2

I am a big Brigitte Bardot fan.  While she may not be known as a great thespian, she was delightful in comedies and held her own in dramas, especially Contempt.  She was one of the most ravishing creatures (if one can still say that!) on the screen, yet also had such a sweetness, as rayon mentioned.  She certainly was a force of nature!  I adore her and was happy to see TCM devote a day to her movies.   

• Like 2

I would have liked a chance to see "Shalako" (1968), an English-language Western with Bardot opposite another great European import -- Sir Sean Connery. And what a supporting cast: Stephen Boyd, Honor Blackman, Woody Strode, Jack Hawkins and Peter van Eyck!

You're not missing anything.

I am a big Brigitte Bardot fan.  While she may not be known as a great thespian, she was delightful in comedies and held her own in dramas, especially Contempt.  She was one of the most ravishing creatures (if one can still say that!) on the screen, yet also had such a sweetness, as rayon mentioned.  She certainly was a force of nature!  I adore her and was happy to see TCM devote a day to her movies.   

& known for her animal activism, but also " generated controversy by criticizing immigration and Islam in France and has been fined five times for inciting racial hatred."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigitte_Bardot#Politics_and_legal_issues

& known for her animal activism, but also " generated controversy by criticizing immigration and Islam in France and has been fined five times for inciting racial hatred."

Yes, quite so--

In her old age, BB has become quite an Avid activist for Humane treatment of animals, but at the same time it's a bit odd because she's become very active in the extreme right-wing LePen Party, which is noted for having inhumane attitudes towards Muslims, Arabs and Africans.

• Like 1

Yes, quite so--

In her old age, BB has become quite an Avid activist for Humane treatment of animals, but at the same time it's a bit odd because she's become very active in the extreme right-wing LePen Party, which is noted for having inhumane attitudes towards Muslims, Arabs and Africans.

C'est dommage, n'est-ce pas? Perhaps her beloved Saint-Tropez beaches have become a little too crowded.

I know she was upset at the inhumane methods Muslim immigrants used to kill sheep, and I believe her public comments about this resulted in one of the charges of "racial hatred."  

I hope the French are as vigilant in charging those responsible for harassing and attacking French Jews, a daily occurrence in some cities.  My husband knows a French Jewish family who were forced to leave their country for Israel because of such treatment.  Sadly, this is not uncommon.  But this is most likely a topic for another thread!

L'âge et la vie font des changes à tout le monde.

Some people mellow with age, While others become hard and bitter. It seems that the latter occurred for BB.

She has been involved in animal welfare with her organization for over 40 years, and has no doubt seen many horrors.  I think you have to toughen up to cope with it.  I just have trouble watching the heart wrenching ASPCA ads on TV! 

While I haven't seen enough of Brigitte Bardot's films to speak with a great deal of authority, it seems to me that she was a naturally sexy woman - she did not have to work at it in any way.

So many sex symbols are manufactured - and we have grown used to that "fakery".

But Bardot seemed to claim sex as her natural domain.

Plus, of course, her beauty was in a word - breathtaking.  

I know she was upset at the inhumane methods Muslim immigrants used to kill sheep, and I believe her public comments about this resulted in one of the charges of "racial hatred."

I hope the French are as vigilant in charging those responsible for harassing and attacking French Jews, a daily occurrence in some cities. My husband knows a French Jewish family who were forced to leave their country for Israel because of such treatment. Sadly, this is not uncommon. But this is most likely a topic for another thread!

Holocaust deniers are punished under French law. That's what happened to Le Pen the founder of the political party, the national front-- an extreme right-wing party that Brigitte Bardot supports.

I have seen most of BB movies,i keep noticing they show most of the same ones Contempt etc,her best roles  and movies were Vie Privée by Louis Malle and La Verité from the early sixties,the first one was very close to her personnal life at the time- about a movie idol ,both had dramatic performances by her,and with a good director Bardot could act,TCM should get the movies even as TCM IMPORTS

• Like 1

I saw "And God Created Woman," and wow,  I was beginning to develop a serious "girl crush."   What an unbelievable force of nature.  However, she has a delicious sense of humor and natural presence; "Plucking the Daisy" was a delightful film, innocent and sexy at the same time.  I dislike "Love on a Pillow"; I felt she should have just thrown the bum out.  I had seen "Contempt" before and found it rather boring.

I could see the "animal rights" thing even in "And God Created Woman" in her scenes with the cat and the rabbit.  

• Like 1

I saw "And God Created Woman," and wow,  I was beginning to develop a serious "girl crush."   What an unbelievable force of nature.  However, she has a delicious sense of humor and natural presence; "Plucking the Daisy" was a delightful film, innocent and sexy at the same time.  I dislike "Love on a Pillow"; I felt she should have just thrown the bum out.  I had seen "Contempt" before and found it rather boring.

I could see the "animal rights" thing even in "And God Created Woman" in her scenes with the cat and the rabbit.  

To bad she got old

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings