Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Present...

In keeping with the situation, as Scrooge's maid said in A Christmas Carol, and as an extension of the fun 'favorite dish' thread, I thought I'd see if anyone had any Christmas/Hanukkah/other memories of their favorite gifts.

Personally, I never got everything I wanted for Christmas, we were limited in the number. I also never got stuff throughout the year, so I really looked forward to my birthday and Christmas.

Looking back from today's perspective, I imagine it was deprivation, but I didn't mind. I can picture many things that were dear to me, but before I go on, I wonder if anyone has any such favorite things, to quote another movie.

One of my favorite things was a three wheeled red bike, which I named Red (original, eh?). It was used, but I loved it. I never learned to ride a two wheeler, my father wouldn't get me a bike for some reason. LOL, to see me riding around on that three wheeler must have been pathetic to those in the know, but as I said, I loved it.

Okay, enough from me (for now!).

What fond memories and favorite things do you all recall?

dolores

Mine growing up would have to be the family gathering's most of all we had also limited what we got, but my favorite would be a doll house that was made by grandfather. now it's my music boxes my collection of butterflies and eyeores. but i am most grateful is my family and being able to have my daughter's boyfriend to spend the holiday's with us, that would be my greatest gift to myself is sharing it with someone who could use a little holiday cheer. Great post.

Happy Holidays

Christine

Growing up my favorite Christmas present was a doll that you could feed fake babyfood. In the 70's the toys weren't as cool as say 50's and 60's. I think my all time favorite is my beautiful art deco amethyst ring my sweetie gave me a couple of years ago.

My favorite gift as a kid was a dollhouse my Dad made for me. I was about 6 years old, and it was taller than me. It had a front and back door that opened, a staircase leading to the second floor, curtains on the real glass windows, and electric overhead lights in every room. It was on castors so I could glide it to every room. It also had shutters on every window that opened and closed. When I outgrew it, the poor thing went up in the attic. Before my first daughter was born, my Mom ventured up to find it and clean it up, but alas, only three months previously Dad had broken it up! That is the only time in my entire lifetime, that I knew Mom was mad at Dad. She was absolutely furious. His excuse was that I already had a baby boy, and he didn't think I would want it

Three years ago, when I was babysitting at my own home for my granddaughter, I started collecting boxes of all sizes and made a doll house and furniture for my little dolly. She loved it so much that her Mom and Dad got her the big Barbie house with pool and terrace, Hah - she preferred my 'box' house, because it had real rugs, curtains, and bedspreads (in the Barbie one, everything is painted on).

Anne