Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

David 2001 "Mulholland Dr"' just voted best of the century by the BBC

spence

This was hot off the presses, yesterday  the BBC=-(critics,etc) just voted on the top 100 greatest films so far for this century & or decade & at the top was David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." (2001)

It's sole *Oscar nod though was for Lynch as BD that year?

& it only took in $8m.

But it's all subjective of course  THANX

Silly. Especially since we've only had 15 full years in this century (from 2001 to 2015). There are 85 more years to push Lynch's film down the list. And it's safe to say that unless they're cryogenically frozen, all these voters won't even be alive on December 31, 2100 to complete the list and ensure its "accuracy." 

I don't know about it being the "best" film made since 2001, but I DO know MULHOLLAND DR. effectively "haunted my thoughts" for a good three or four days after I watched it, anyway. And in this age of seemingly lighter weight fare produced for mass consumption with greater profits in mind and which do not require modern audiences to think but to just primarily react, I suppose that might be saying a lot about Lynch's film.

(...I also remember thinking the film would make a great double bill with the 1962 cult classic CARNIVAL OF SOULS, and actually think Lynch might have been inspired to make his film after a viewing of the aforementioned cult classic)

• Like 1

& just to compare-(remember it's all subjective) my own personal candidate's for the top ten of this century to date

1. "Gangs of New York" (2002)

2. *"Million Dollar Baby" (2004)

3. *"The Artist" (2011)   

4. "Gravity" (2013)

5. "Cinderella Man" (2005)

6. "KB2" (2004)

7. "United 93"-(TRIVIA: Stephen King wrote in EW that he rated this among the all-timers, along w/"Kane" *"The Godfather")

8. "Letters from Iwo Jima" (2006)

9 *"Gladiator" (2000)

10th fav td.  "Almost Famous" (2000)

CORRECTION & A REVISION ON MY OWN PIX: (please see above)

THANK YOU

• Like 2

& just to compare-(remember it's all subjective) my own personal candidate's for the top ten of this century to date

1. "Gangs of New York" (2002)

2. *"Million Dollar Baby" (2004)

3. "Cinderella Man" (2005)

4. "King Kong" (2005)

5th fav. td  "KB2" (2004)

6. "United 93"-(TRIVIA: Stephen King wrote in EW that he rated this among the all-timers, along w/"Kane" *"The Godfather")

7. "Letters from Iwo Jima" (2006)

8. *"Gladiator"

9. "Almost Famous" (2000)

10th "Finding, Nemo" (2003)

THANK YOU

Nice list Spence. Glad to see other fans of UNITED 93.

Silly. Especially since we've only had 15 full years in this century (from 2001 to 2015). There are 85 more years to push Lynch's film down the list. And it's safe to say that unless they're cryogenically frozen, all these voters won't even be alive on December 31, 2100 to complete the list and ensure its "accuracy." 

Also, it reflects more of the "cults" for when the movies came out, and time will tell--

Entire generations will remember Spirited Away, but if anyone in 2099 remembers #3, There Will Be Blood, #5, Boyhood, or #7 Tree of Life with the same clarity that we today remember "Crash", I'll give 'em a buck-ninety-five.

And that goes for Lynch's post-Twin Peaks 00's movies, too, from after he left the planet.

• Like 1

This was hot off the presses, yesterday  the BBC=-(critics,etc) just voted on the top 100 greatest films so far for this century & or decade & at the top was David Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." (2001)

It's sole *Oscar nod though was for Lynch as BD that year?

& it only took in $8m.

But it's all subjective of course  THANX

Well, if you're gonna name a movie "the best" of a time period, 'Mulholland Drive' is at least a worthy movie to name.

And you are absolutely correct that it's a subjective opinion. But then, so's the opinion of all those Academy Award voters every year - just because they say a movie is the best of the year doesn't mean it really is.

Clubs of people can claim anything they want about the quality of a work of art. Doesn't matter if anyone else outside the club agrees or not.

• Like 1

I liked Mulholland Drive, There Will Be Blood, Tree of Life and a lot of other titles on the list more than Spirited Away. To each his own.

These kinds of lists are always better used as a source for more titles to look for that you may have missed, rather than some definitive qualitative analysis of a completely subjective matter.

I liked Mulholland Drive, There Will Be Blood, Tree of Life and a lot of other titles on the list more than Spirited Away. To each his own.

I won't make the Bugs Bunny joke we were all making about Tree of Life,  :P  but have you ever actually READ Upton Sinclair's "Oil"?  (Or even just Cliff-Noted it on Wikipedia?)

It's not the wishful vicarious cynical-atheist stroke-fantasy that Anderson turned "Blood" into (like pretty much the rest of his "All religion are con games" movies).  He basically took the one isolated part of the book he liked, and made-up crapped the rest.

I won't make the Bugs Bunny joke we were all making about Tree of Life,  :P  but have you ever actually READ Upton Sinclair's "Oil"?  (Or even just Cliff-Noted it on Wikipedia?)

It's not the wishful vicarious cynical-atheist stroke-fantasy that Anderson turned "Blood" into (like pretty much the rest of his "All religion are con games" movies).  He basically took the one isolated part of the book he liked, and made-up crapped the rest.

And yet I still thought There Will Be Blood was better than Spirited Away

And yet I still thought There Will Be Blood was better than Spirited Away

Yeah, but it's a 21st-century list, and "Kiki's Delivery Service" was 1989.

What OTHER 00's Miyazaki movies could you possibly put on the list--Ponyo?  Howl's Moving Castle??  

It was pretty much his Last Good One. 

(A case could be made for "The Wind Rises", if need be, but...not on my list.)

I won't make the Bugs Bunny joke we were all making about Tree of Life, 

Well, okay, since you asked:  :P

"Tell us your story from the beginning:"

"In the beginning, there was no life, the earth was forming...Then, in a little pool, two tiny amoeba--"

"No, no, that's too far back!"

-- Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny, "This is a Life?"

Well, if you're gonna name a movie "the best" of a time period, 'Mulholland Drive' is at least a worthy movie to name.

And you are absolutely correct that it's a subjective opinion. But then, so's the opinion of all those Academy Award voters every year - just because they say a movie is the best of the year doesn't mean it really is.

Clubs of people can claim anything they want about the quality of a work of art. Doesn't matter if anyone else outside the club agrees or not.

Didnt it have the lesbian bit w/noami watts and that other girl?

Didnt it have the lesbian bit w/noami watts and that other girl?

Yeah, it did. And that "other girl" was the gorgeously sultry Laura Harring...

Mulholland-Dr-Bluray-2015.jpg

And yet probably ANOTHER reason, and as I said down there earlier, this movie "haunted my thoughts for three or four days after I watched it".

(...BOY, that woman is HOT!) 

• Like 4

Mulholland Dr. is a memorably cinematic way to show how reality differs from re-imagined, dream-like reality.  The phrase "This is the girl" has different meanings in reality and dream.  An ordinary-looking blue key becomes a fancy-looking blue gadget in the dream.  Rita goes down a hill from Mulholland Dr. in the beginning, but up the hill later.  And of course, all the name switcheroos, which reminds me of Robert Altman's "Images", which also shuffles the characters' names and is also very dream-like.  These films are like elaborate magic tricks where we admire the magician's clever sleight of hand.

• Like 3

Yeah, it did. And that "other girl" was the gorgeously sultry Laura Harring...

Mulholland-Dr-Bluray-2015.jpg

And yet probably ANOTHER reason, and as I said down there earlier, this movie "haunted my thoughts for three or four days after I watched it".

(...BOY, that woman is HOT!) 

TO DARGO & OTHERS, I felt the same way w/this picture. I was a fan of Lynch, especially due to his brilliant 1986 mystery "Blue Velvet"-(another I felt the same about, where your mixed at first & then, BAMMO, it stays with you a longtime after.

Plus, beside's these incredibally gorgeous ladies' in his films>Isabella Rossellini, Laura Herring, Lara Flynn Boyle-(though I though she was a bit overrated), Sherilyn Fenn-(my favorite of the bunch), Sheryl Lee-(Laura palmer in his tv series "Twin Peaks" & the film as well), Peggy Lipton, Madchen Amick, *P. Arquette & others. & he's widely known in "The Lynchian Universe" for his villians!

Most notably: Hopper in "BV"  Willem Dafoe, "Wild at Heart" Robert Blake & Robert Loggia in "Lost Highway" Ray Wise in "Twin Peaks" & the 1992 but bad (*1/2) picture.  & others!  But, had his usual eerie & excellent scoring by: Angelo Badalamenti-(i.e. "CALLING *OSCAR?")

But, in my own "Alternate *Oscars' for 2001, I personally rated the *Coen Bros. film noir comedy "The Man Who Wasn't There"-($10m.) as the best release. But in retrospect "Mulholland Dr.' may be the superior movie. Of course the *Academy went with *Ron Howard's "A Beautiful Mind" ($171 million gross) A well-made one, but personally I thought overrated by *Oscar that year

Another category his films get ignored is: Cinematography? & while on David Lynch, what do you folks think of his 1976 cult-classic "Eraserhead?"  ity's star: Jack Nance met a strange & untimely death as well?

TO DARGO & OTHERS, I felt the same way w/this picture. I was a fan of Lynch, especially due to his brilliant 1986 mystery "Blue Velvet"-(another I felt the same about, where your mixed at first & then, BAMMO, it stays with you a longtime after.

Plus, beside's these incredibally gorgeous ladies' in his films>Isabella Rossellini, Laura Herring, Lara Flynn Boyle-(though I though she was a bit overrated), Sherilyn Fenn-(my favorite of the bunch), Sheryl Lee-(Laura palmer in his tv series "Twin Peaks" & the film as well), Peggy Lipton, Madchen Amick, *P. Arquette & others. & he's widely known in "The Lynchian Universe" for his villians!

Most notably: Hopper in "BV"  Willem Dafoe, "Wild at Heart" Robert Blake & Robert Loggia in "Lost Highway" Ray Wise in "Twin Peaks" & the 1992 but bad (*1/2) picture.  & others!  But, had his usual eerie & excellent scoring by: Angelo Badalamenti-(i.e. "CALLING *OSCAR?")

But, in my own "Alternate *Oscars' for 2001, I personally rated the *Coen Bros. film noir comedy "The Man Who Wasn't There"-($10m.) as the best release. But in retrospect "Mulholland Dr.' may be the superior movie. Of course the *Academy went with *Ron Howard's "A Beautiful Mind" ($171 million gross) A well-made one, but personally I thought overrated by *Oscar that year

Another category his films get ignored is: Cinematography? & while on David Lynch, what do you folks think of his 1976 cult-classic "Eraserhead?"  ity's star: Jack Nance met a strange & untimely death as well?

& I've never seen her in anything again, have you?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings