Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm glad to say that Irma looks to be a bit of a bust. It did not hit Miami/Dade County dead on at 150 mph. In fact it will stay offshore the entire time it is a cat 4 and be a cat 1 when it hits land in the Florida panhandle.  It is fast moving, and will be just a low in the Appalachians by Tuesday.

I've been monitoring the Weather Channel, and the meteorologists are trying to play this thing up, but the fact is they could not be outside covering this thing if the winds were that strong or the flooding that bad.

No torrential rains with the hurricane churning stationary and dumping 50 inches of rain like Houston endured with Harvey. I don't know when or if that city can ever recover. Thousands of cattle dead. The human death toll, fortunately, has been kept low. But the structural damage, mainly from the 500 year flood, may impoverish many people who did not have flood insurance.

At any rate, good luck to the people of Florida who I hope have radically over prepared.

The Rubble And Recovery Of U.S. Virgin Islands:

"...Smack in the center of that path were the U.S. Virgin Islands, a territory torn apart with the storm's arrival Wednesday. Now, days later, many on the islands fear the focus of their fellow Americans will be irreversibly drawn to the mainland, while they're left to pick up the pieces.

The Associated Press reports that of the at least 24 people who were killed by Irma in the Caribbean, at least four people died in the U.S. territory.......

An aerial view of the Virgin Islands — both British and U.S. — shows in stark terms just what is left now: roofs torn off houses, trees uprooted, whole neighborhoods turned into rubble under the weight of the storm.....

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/10/549981547/the-rubble-and-recovery-of-u-s-virgin-islands-will-we-survive-the-aftermath?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprpresents&utm_term=aboutnpr&utm_content=20170910

ap_17252119424901_wide-8eb54cd0af4d456d0

Winds are whipping through rather strongly now. I've lost power intermittently, but it returned quickly. I've heard a few "thuds" outside, but it's too dark to check to see what fell. I had a family of little brown birds huddling in my front patio overhang, looking drenched and frightened. The worst isn't supposed to come through here until 8 AM or so. 

Winds are whipping through rather strongly now. I've lost power intermittently, but it returned quickly. I've heard a few "thuds" outside, but it's too dark to check to see what fell. I had a family of little brown birds huddling in my front patio overhang, looking drenched and frightened. The worst isn't supposed to come through here until 8 AM or so. 

Take care and stay safe.  We're getting remnants later (nothing like Florida, of course) and I'll be watching out for the birds in my neighborhood.  Maybe Rick Scott will finally smarten up and admit a warming ocean is making storms worse.

So what caused hurricanes since the continental drift?  Irma can be compared to the 1926 Miami hurricane.  Goodness look at that storm surge! (below)  Each one has their own "personality" including typhoons in the Pacific.  For Pete's sake, one gets a few miles stronger and the world is ending.   Wind shearless Irma spent much of it's energy over the Caribbean. Florida is lucky it wasn't bad as predicted. Compared to Harvey, Irma is a marathon runner.

Sure wish there was data on hurricanes during the Medieval Warm Period.  Bet there were some 200+ MPH whoppers.

slide_317561_2924423_free.jpg

• Like 2

So what caused hurricanes since the continental drift? Irma can be compared to the 1926 Miami hurricane. Goodness look at that storm surge! (below) Each one has their own "personality" including typhoons in the Pacific. For Pete's sake, one gets a few miles stronger and the world is ending. Wind shearless Irma spent much of it's energy over the Caribbean. Florida is lucky it wasn't bad as predicted. Compared to Harvey, Irma is a marathon runner.

Sure wish there was data on hurricanes during the Medieval Warm Period. Bet there were some 200+ MPH whoppers.

slide_317561_2924423_free.jpg

Ham--

You know so much about hurricanes, the history of the earth, and meteorology etc. You should go on television and debate Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson on whether or not climate change exist.

Or better yet you should write a book about it like the Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson did-- "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry".

Recently I saw him discussing the importance of climate change in the world today on Trevor Noah's Daily Show. You can read more about that in his new book.

According to Tyson's the debate in science about climate change is over and it's time to do something about it before it's too late.

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson is the Frederick P Rose Director of the Hayden Planetarium at the Rose Center for Earth and Space in New York City. The Center is part of the American Museum of Natural History, where Tyson founded the Department of Astrophysics and has been a Research Associate in the Department since 2003.

Tyson is also the famous scientist who kicked Pluto out of the position of the 9th planet. A very controversial move, indeed, in the Science World.

Tyson has an AB from Harvard in physics and and a master's and PhD in astrophysics from Columbia University.

• Like 1

:(

Irma Won’t “Wake Up” Climate Change-Denying Republicans. Their Whole Ideology Is on the Line.

"...As Trump’s address to his cabinet makes clear, however, Irma only makes him want to double down on his reckless economic agenda. Flanked by Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, he explained that they were going to discuss “dramatic tax cuts and tax reform. And I think now with what’s happened with the hurricane, I’m gonna ask for a speed up.”

Some have pointed out that this is a classic example of what I have called the “shock doctrine” — using disasters as cover to push through radical, pro-corporate policies. And it is a textbook case to be sure, especially because when Trump made his remarks, Irma was at the very height of its potential threat....

...climate change detonates the ideological scaffolding on which contemporary conservatism rests. To admit that the climate crisis is real is to admit the end of their political and economic project.

That’s why the right is in rebellion against the physical world (which is what prompted hundreds of thousands of scientists around the world to participate in the March for Science in April 2017, collectively defending a principle that really shouldn’t need defending: that knowing as much as possible about our world is a good thing). Yet there is a logical reason why science has become such a battle zone: because it is revealing again and again that pro-corporate business as usual leads to a species-threatening catastrophe....

As the reality of climate disruption shows its menacing face, more and more people will come to understand its obvious political and economic implications. In the meantime, we need to stop waiting for disasters to “wake up” hardcore deniers.

The dream they are in is just too damn good, too comfortable, and too profitable...

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/11/irma-donald-trump-tax-cuts-climate-change-republican-ideology-capitalism/

• Like 1

It's odd that the right wing likes to lament the national debt, because they say their children and grandchildren will be paying for it. They don't seem to care that if they don't heed the threat of climate change, their children and grandchildren will be floating into oblivion; or worse; and paying a lot more before the end comes.

• Like 4
  • JakeHolman changed the title to HURRICANE DELTA