Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

HURRICANE ISAIAS

Well of course.  What did you expect?

I mean, returning war veterans had to be discovered as being homeless and go nuts and hurt a lot of people and themselves before the government and VA finally addressed any PTSD issues.  Or even consider it as valid.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I would imagine, after going through all they did with Irma, that it'll be a LONG time before anybody would be willing to attent ANY event referred to as a "shower".  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Those Generac's cost about 6 grand, which is probably "chump change" to the facility's owner.  But, I don't know how waterproof  they are.  But for caution's sake, could probably be installed on the roof.

Now, I know the constitution provides protection from "cruel and unusual" punishment, but I don't believe there IS a punishment TOO cruel or unusual for whomever is responsible for this tragic occurrence.

Sepiatone

Those Generac's cost about 6 grand, which is probably "chump change" to the facility's owner.  But, I don't know how waterproof  they are.  But for caution's sake, could probably be installed on the roof.

Now, I know the constitution provides protection from "cruel and unusual" punishment, but I don't believe there IS a punishment TOO cruel or unusual for whomever is responsible for this tragic occurrence.

Sepiatone

Our local nursing home is nestled within a hill above any danger of flooding.  I think they do have emergency AC.

Our local nursing home is nestled within a hill above any danger of flooding.  I think they do have emergency AC.

You have a local nursing home? I believe you, it just sounds odd to a Floridian, seeing as how, in even as small a town as the one I live in, we have 12 listed in the county phone book! And that's not including the dozens more in surrounding towns! Like all things of this nature, the quality varies, from an opulent, mansion-like edifice, to small concrete boxes with all of the charm of the DMV.

• Like 1

Are these units that expensive? Can run a few window AC's and breathing equipment.

There are often government standards for such equipment which disqualifies many common models. Regulations routinely favor having no such equipment by placing restrictions which limit installations to those with high initial cost, high routine maintenance costs and regular replacement. Large fines are levied if the equipment proves in any way faulty or inadequate even although it meets all government standards.

You have a local nursing home? I believe you, it just sounds odd to a Floridian, seeing as how, in even as small a town as the one I live in, we have 12 listed in the county phone book! And that's not including the dozens more in surrounding towns! Like all things of this nature, the quality varies, from an opulent, mansion-like edifice, to small concrete boxes with all of the charm of the DMV.

In Northeast Kansas we have a plethora of nursing homes, assisted living and senior citizen estates that include everything and anything: some are from National franchise companies, some are locally- owned and some are sponsored by national church organizations.

The ones that are truly fabulous take your breath away along with looking at them and hearing what they cost-- something like,I'm not joking, close to $1,000 a week.

You have to have a directory to figure out which which ones you would even want to visit to look them over.

But they all take some form of Medicaid. Often we have news items on the local news about middle class people, who were teachers, insurance agents, small business owners etc., who are on Medicaid in nursing homes.

That would be something that the trump Administration wants to cut from the Federal budget.

When people think of Medicaid, they think of the poor, the disabled, indigent children Etc., but they never think that that's exactly how they may end up despite their current middle class status.

But the truth of the matter is that a great many middle-class people end up that way after their savings and money from their home has been exhausted, gone in nursing home care.

• Like 2

But they all take some form of Medicaid. Often we have news items on the local news about middle class people, who were teachers, insurance agents, small business owners etc., who are on Medicaid in nursing homes.

That would be something that the trump Administration wants to cut from the Federal budget.

When people think of Medicaid, they think of the poor, the disabled, indigent children Etc., but they never think that that's exactly how they may end up despite their current middle class status.

But the truth of the matter is that a great many middle-class people end up that way after their savings and money from their home has been exhausted, gone in nursing home care.

My wife worked in an agency that interfaced with people going to nursing homes, retirement centers, etc. under Medicaid.  It is not just the poor.  People can actually "purchase" Medicaid coverage for certain situations.

It is surprising the number of anti-government, cut taxes, GOP leaders in this state who have had parents go on Medicaid in nursing homes.

For most middle-class people, once you spend down to certain levels you go on Medicaid.

I don't think all nursing homes, etc. take Medicaid as it is voluntary.  Most have a certain number of beds designated for Medicaid, the rest are private pay.  However, once you spend all your assets (1-2 years for most people), they usually transfer them to Medicaid.

Depending on how you are classified, you can keep your home so you can "return to it."  Also, if your spouse is living there, it does not have to be sold.

Each state has its own rules though.  Which is the major problem with Lindsay Graham's health care proposal of block grants to each state.

One dangerous thing Jose will bring are the large waves surfers will be attracted to.  Officials said on CBS 2 news, lifeguards will not be risking their lives rescuing those temping fate starting tomorrow.  Anything will be a 911 call.

Look ma....no brains!

IMG_1034.jpg

It appears Irma did have a historical equal, the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane.  Cat 5 wind speed averaging at 185 mph with 20 foot storm surge.  Florida Keys completely wiped out.  High death toll at 485.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_Labor_Day_hurricane

05-31-Hurricane-02.jpg?resize=350%2C200

Labor_Day_hurricane_1935-09-04_weather_m

ca15a601e4086f9376af9b6a5d309b4e.jpg

Train connecting the keys destroyed by the storm surge.

478px-Train_derailed_by_the_1935_hurrica

Monument to the 1935 Hurricane

1935-Hurricane-Monument-3.jpg

Geez not sure where to begin.Hurricane Irma made landfall on Marco Island,~35 miles south of me w/ sustained winds of ~140-145MPH.

By the time the northern part of the eyewall reached me the sustained winds were ~120-130MPH.

One good aspect of the eyewall was that the southern side was a lot weaker than the north side w/ sustained winds of only about 90-110MPH which passed us pretty quickly,thank God. I was in a hurricane shelter and after the eyewall passed the wind calmed down and we were allowed to go outside,walk our pets and smoke cigarettes if we wanted too.The weather was actually pleasant considering the circumstances. 

The shelter i was in had some problems but the local sheriffs deputies and National Guard were very nice and we all got through it ok.

First thing that happened was that the backup generator for the AC went down leaving all of us (1003 ppl) sitting on a gymnasium floor miserable.The place started to smell like a locker room,then it got worse.

Then the bathrooms went down....AAARGH!!...STUPID women were flushing baby diapers down the toilet!! 

Nobody knew where "to go". :o

Then one of the guardsmen announced that if we want to pee we'll have to use our water bottles to do it in!!!...we couldn't do THAT...we would have to whip it out in front of the whole crowd!!...they finally put white buckets in the bathrooms to pee/poop in..Whew!

On Monday morning after the storm we started hearing the news....BAD...more than a quarter million w/o power in my area alone.

Tens of thousands flooded out of their homes,and most of them are still flooded out today.

No power or water and it's hot.

When i got home i expected it to be gone like so many others homes were gone.

But joy joy joy...a miracle occurred.

None of the homes in my specific mobile/manufactured home park were badly damaged though many had minor damage,cosmetic damage.Some homes (including mine) had NO damage at all even tho' we had 120-130MPH sustained winds...Unbelievable!!

Of the windows that weren't boarded up,99% were still intact,we never flooded,the power never went down and there was water the entire time,but all around my park there were/are destroyed homes,flooded homes and very few had power/water.

God's hand was upon our little park,it had to be...no mobile or manufactured home can take a cat 2-3 hurricane and remain standing,but ours DID!!...and quite a few of the mobile homes are old crates made in the 1970's.The manufactured homes are quite a bit newer than that,most from the 1990's,a few are even newer.

Today tens of thousands are still flooded out of their homes and still have no water/electric.

I only got my phone/internet service back this morning.

There's so much more to this story but i can't tell it all...it was/is very bad.It'll be a while before we're back to normal,and for many "normal" will never come back. :(

• Like 3

There's so much more to this story but i can't tell it all...it was/is very bad.It'll be a while before we're back to normal,and for many "normal" will never come back. :(

Went through Katrina. Changed lives forever and many left and did not come back. Housing was a huge problem and with the arrival of construction workers needing a place to live the squeeze for a place to live was tight. The area was changed forever. Good luck & God Bless...

• Like 1

Hurricane Maria 'devastates' Dominica - Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit says.

"Maria is moving roughly along the same track as Irma, the hurricane that devastated the region this month.

It currently has maximum sustained winds of 250km/h (155mph) and has been downgraded to a category four hurricane after hitting Dominica, but it could increase again as it moves towards Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, according to forecasters....

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-41317164?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Predicted path of Maria.

hurricane-maria-path.jpg

last nite some weather schtootzette said it mighr be another 7 days before they can start making predictions about where it might be headed for....and she was only talking about maria. lee is out there also.