Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JakeHolman

HURRICANE ISAIAS

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JakeHolman said:

 

Maybe Key West'ers don't like the rain but most of the rest of us in S.Florida are clapping our hands with appreciation for it.We haven't had a decent rain here since October/November.Now we FINALLY get some real rain, so CHEERS for the rain.:cheers2:  :tt2: :clap::party:...and screw Key West.Let 'em cry.:nopity:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

Maybe Key West'ers don't like the rain but most of the rest of us in S.Florida are clapping our hands with appreciation for it.We haven't had a decent rain here since October/November.Now we FINALLY get some real rain, so CHEERS for the rain.

Yeah, we needed the rain up here, too, and we're getting it at the moment. I noticed yesterday walking from my car to my front door that my lawn was crunching underfoot due to the lack of rainfall.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Memorial day weekend is probably gonna be pre-empted by sub-tropical storm Alberto around here,some ppl are preparing to have storm parties since they won't be going to the beach(or practically anywhere else).They're forecasting that we'll get somewhere around 3-4 inches of rain,but totals could be higher.Not so bad for SW Florida since we haven't had the deluges that have flooded the east coast,we can use the rain.At this time the east coast isn't expected to get as much rain as we're forecast to get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, JR33928 said:

Since the Memorial day weekend is probably gonna be pre-empted by sub-tropical storm Alberto around here,some ppl are preparing to have storm parties since they won't be going to the beach(or practically anywhere else).They're forecasting that we'll get somewhere around 3-4 inches of rain,but totals could be higher.Not so bad for SW Florida since we haven't had the deluges that have flooded the east coast,we can use the rain.At this time the east coast isn't expected to get as much rain as we're forecast to get.

I hope that changes.

I always enjoy inclement weather.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 2:34 PM, JR33928 said:

Maybe Key West'ers don't like the rain but most of the rest of us in S.Florida are clapping our hands with appreciation for it.We haven't had a decent rain here since October/November.Now we FINALLY get some real rain, so CHEERS for the rain.:cheers2:  :tt2: :clap::party:...and screw Key West.Let 'em cry.:nopity:

Key West, people must didn't took the hint from last year.

Federal%20authorities%20assist%20FEMA%20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

saw the headline on cnn about building collapses and street flooding in maryland.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-Sends-Solidarity-Aid-Cuba-After-Tropical-Storm-Alberto-20180601-0007.html

Venezuela Sends Solidarity Aid Cuba After Tropical Storm Alberto

 

The Cuban ambassador to Venezuela, Rogelio Polanco, expressed gratitude for the assistance, describing it as an act of “brotherhood and solidarity.”

The Venezuelan government has sent 12 tons of humanitarian aid to Cuba after the passage of tropical storm Alberto, which killed at least four people on the island.

Nestor Reverol, Venezuela's Minister of the Interior, Justice, and Peace, oversaw the shipment of materials and equipment as it left the Simon Bolivar International Airport in Caracas heading for Havana.

"This is a tangible expression of moral, ethical and spiritual support, of the solidarity which characterizes our brotherly people, to keep demonstrating our commitment to Cuba," Reverol said.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Venezuela-Sends-Solidarity-Aid-Cuba-After-Tropical-Storm-Alberto-20180601-0007.html

Venezuela Sends Solidarity Aid Cuba After Tropical Storm Alberto

 

The Cuban ambassador to Venezuela, Rogelio Polanco, expressed gratitude for the assistance, describing it as an act of “brotherhood and solidarity.”

The Venezuelan government has sent 12 tons of humanitarian aid to Cuba after the passage of tropical storm Alberto, which killed at least four people on the island.

Nestor Reverol, Venezuela's Minister of the Interior, Justice, and Peace, oversaw the shipment of materials and equipment as it left the Simon Bolivar International Airport in Caracas heading for Havana.

"This is a tangible expression of moral, ethical and spiritual support, of the solidarity which characterizes our brotherly people, to keep demonstrating our commitment to Cuba," Reverol said.

 

 

Just repaying a debt of gratitude, no surprise.

Fidel-Castro-Hugo-Chavez-EFE_CYMIMA20160

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.texasstandard.org/stories/some-workers-who-helped-rebuild-after-harvey-were-never-paid-for-their-labor/

SOME WORKERS WHO HELPED REBUILD AFTER HARVEY WERE NEVER PAID FOR THEIR LABOR

“Only about 42 percent of cases that are investigated actually award out the wages that are claimed to have been not paid,”

Several workers tasked with rebuilding in Texas after Hurricane Harvey say they haven’t been paid by the contractors who hired them.

Unfortunately, exploitation by private contractors – like wage-theft after natural disasters – isn’t unusual. But if the problem is well-known, couldn’t the state have done something to protect workers this time around?

James Barragán is a statehouse reporter for the Dallas Morning News. He has been investigating this story along with Reveal, from the Center For Investigative Reporting.

 

Barragán says his team documented 19 cases of workers who completed post-Hurricane work on apartment buildings or hotels, and were then not paid.

“They went to the state to file a wage claim, and got very mixed results,” Barragán says. “The majority of them still have not received their money.”

Barragán says workers can file wage claims at the Texas Workforce Commission. But processing a wage claim could take several months. Receiving unpaid wages could take additional months.

 

“Only about 42 percent of cases that are investigated actually award out the wages that are claimed to have been not paid,” Barragán says.

Even when claims are accepted by the state, about half of the wages owed are not paid because investigators can’t locate employers who owe them.

Barragán says that among the cases where workers aren’t awarded unpaid wages, the problem often comes down to paperwork, or that the case is outside the Texas Workforce Commission’s jurisdiction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...