Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sorry. I hope you're not in a danger zone.

I'll retract the comment, it's in bad taste.

No, don't be so serious. I was being silly with you. Laugh! Laugh, I say! Right in the face of danger!

But yes, I'm directly in the storm's path. I may be getting evacuation orders this evening.

45]XS9M4MWe_bigger.jpegGary FineoutVerified account @fineout

More

.@rushlimbaugh - based in S. Fla. - says he will not be on the air next several days - will be back on air next week from "parts unknown."

45]

45]09XvpJCh_bigger.jpgJuliette KayyemVerified account @juliettekayyem

More

Rush Limbaugh spent show mocking fears raised by scientists @ #Irma. People listen to that, they believe him. Now HE is evacuating. #shame

The latest on the extreme right-wing lying radio host.

• Like 1

That's cheating other property owners who really did have damage. But I don't think it would surprise anybody.

he does know how to get and handle money. :lol:

you know, I'm actually a floridian from way back. used to live down there...57 years ago. my sister was born there and my dad used to take me into the everglades. of course I was a just a little tot back then so I doan remember......

everglades nip! terror of the southeast! I used to chaw on manchineel bark for breakfast and then ask for seconds. :)

No, don't be so serious. I was being silly with you. Laugh! Laugh, I say! Right in the face of danger!

But yes, I'm directly in the storm's path. I may be getting evacuation orders this evening.

Stay safe, Lawrence. I hope to hear that all is well with you and your family after this monster storm has passed.

• Like 5

Officials stated DO NOT try to save your property, that's what insurance is for.  Structures can be rebuilt, a life can not.

For the thrill seekers who want to stay behind, be sure where to the Last Will and Testament filled out.  Also where to send flowers.  On second thought why waste money sending them.  MORONS!  :wacko:

hjcgnwnje6j6jnoxi4ytctglrfaxsapj-large.j

Where's CPS when one needs them? :huh:

1413899019657_wps_204_Picture_shows_Blac

Stay safe, Lawrence. I hope to hear that all is well with you and your family after this monster storm has passed.

Thanks Tom. I've taken all the precautions possible, so now it's a waiting game. Our fellow poster JR looks to be in the path of danger even more so than me (I believe he's in SW Florida), so I hope he's safe and ready. We also have a few posters in the Tampa area (forgive me if I can't recall the usernames) and they are in for some perilous times, too. 

The weather around here has been gorgeous for the last few days, sunny, breezy and just about perfect. The literal calm before the storm. 

• Like 3

Why So Many People Don’t ‘Just Leave’ When A Major Hurricane Hits-

"...Those who don’t evacuate before huge storms are often criticized for “choosing” to stay behind. A 2010 study from Northwestern found that the majority of observers looked favorably on Hurricane Katrina victims who had evacuated, calling them “hardworking and self-reliant.” Those who didn’t leave were described as “lazy, negligent and stubborn.”  (or thrill seekers!) ;)

Such harsh judgments didn’t match the reality of the situation.

Fourteen percent of the people who remained in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina had a physical disability. Fifty-five percent of them didn’t have access to a car or another way to leave. And 68 percent didn’t have either money in the bank or a useable credit card, Pacific Standard Magazine reported in 2015.

Sometimes, trying to leave can be as risky as sheltering in place.....

In 2005, when Hurricane Rita slammed southeast Texas, at least 60 of the 118 storm-related deaths were connected to the evacuation, according to a report from the Texas House of Representatives. There were cases of heat stroke, fights on the crowded roads and other dangers, the Times noted. 

You literally cannot put 6.5 million [people] on the road,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said as Harvey’s rains were flooding his city. “If you think the situation right now is bad — you give an order to evacuate, you are creating a nightmare.”.....

For those who have the money and the physical ability to leave, there’s still the question of where to go and where to stay....

“For folks who are homeless, they’re stuck. They’re not moving because they don’t have a means of getting out of here,”.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-people-dont-leave-hurricanes_us_59b04a2ce4b0dfaafcf50619

Again, NO surprise <_<

Florida Risks More Irma Devastation Because Gov. Rick Scott Defunded Wetlands Agency-

"...Scott,... took action six years ago that means preparation for the storm must be all the more intense: The Republican governor prioritized development over ecological restoration of wetlands. Scott cut funding for the state’s water management districts in 2011, leading to staff reductions and less funding for ecosystem restoration projects. Around the same time, Scott signed the state legislature’s repeal of the state’s 1985 growth management law, leading to a spike in development. Scott would tell the Palm Beach Post in 2016 that the economic benefits from more building meant Florida was “on a roll.”

As Hurricane Harvey demonstrated in Houston, however, development from depleted wetlands can exacerbate the effects of storms:...

Wetlands act as natural barriers to the destructiveness of hurricanes. Both coastal and inland wetlands perform different functions to slow the impact of the storms by absorbing storm surge and soaking up rainfall, respectively..........

“It’s bad but it’s the hard reality we live in,” said Bochnak. “When we develop these areas, we lose our natural protection.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/09/florida-risks-more-irma-devastation-because-gov-rick-scott-lifted-wetland-protections/

• Like 2

Again, NO surprise <_<

Florida Risks More Irma Devastation Because Gov. Rick Scott Defunded Wetlands Agency-

"...Scott,... took action six years ago that means preparation for the storm must be all the more intense: The Republican governor prioritized development over ecological restoration of wetlands. Scott cut funding for the state’s water management districts in 2011, leading to staff reductions and less funding for ecosystem restoration projects. Around the same time, Scott signed the state legislature’s repeal of the state’s 1985 growth management law, leading to a spike in development. Scott would tell the Palm Beach Post in 2016 that the economic benefits from more building meant Florida was “on a roll.”

As Hurricane Harvey demonstrated in Houston, however, development from depleted wetlands can exacerbate the effects of storms:...

Wetlands act as natural barriers to the destructiveness of hurricanes. Both coastal and inland wetlands perform different functions to slow the impact of the storms by absorbing storm surge and soaking up rainfall, respectively..........

“It’s bad but it’s the hard reality we live in,” said Bochnak. “When we develop these areas, we lose our natural protection.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/09/florida-risks-more-irma-devastation-because-gov-rick-scott-lifted-wetland-protections/

so a national disposition of wetlands should be based on them being reserved as sponges for killer hurricanes?

too much arbitrariness turns off free americans.

now this cnn weather schtootz starts saying that this hurricane needs to start making this northern turn soon...he chimes in that it will...but the time is getting late for a significant landfall in florida. maybe a wobble pretty soon the schtootz says....

this is what happens when the u.s. - european models coincide. these forever glib weather schtootzes start mouthing off like the hot sheets they all think they are waxing supremely confident about where they think the storm is gonna go...then they overconfidently bleep up! :lol:

these contemporary weather schtootzes simply do not have the same level of expertise as the old line weather guys of forty or fifty years ago. A-1 guys like the legendary john hope. they may know isobars, fronts and barometric pressures but they lack that intuitive ability of the old line guys to put it all together...not without their dam computer models. :lol: so this cnn weather schtootz starts shorting out because he can't handle irma diverging from both the u.s. and european models and starts hoping for some future wobble to vindicate his and his fellow weather schtootzes' legitimacy.

lesson number one from nipkowdisc...

one of the first very first things I remember absorbing knowledge-wise about the hurricane when I first became interested in the weather....is their utter and many times chronic unpredictability.

todays hot sheet overconfident weather schtootzes wanna learn the hard way.

now this cnn weather schtootz starts saying that this hurricane needs to start making this northern turn soon...he chimes in that it will...but the time is getting late for a significant landfall in florida. maybe a wobble pretty soon the schtootz says....

this is what happens when the u.s. - european models coincide. these forever glib weather schtootzes start mouthing off like the hot sheets they all think they are waxing supremely confident about where they think the storm is gonna go...then they overconfidently bleep up! :lol:

these contemporary weather schtootzes simply do not have the same level of expertise as the old line weather guys of forty or fifty years ago. A-1 guys like the legendary john hope. they may know isobars, fronts and barometric pressures but they lack that intuitive ability of the old line guys to put it all together...not without their dam computer models. :lol: so this cnn weather schtootz starts shorting out because he can't handle irma diverging from both the u.s. and european models and starts hoping for some future wobble to vindicate his and his fellow weather schtootzes' legitimacy.

lesson number one from nipkowdisc...

one of the first very first things I remember absorbing knowledge-wise about the hurricane when I first became interested in the weather....is their utter and many times chronic unpredictability.

todays hot sheet overconfident weather schtootzes wanna learn the hard way.

of course! the keys. we all shoulda known that from the movie key largo. the one and only Rocco shoulda given us the answer.

the conch culture....conch you just hear the self-recriminations of reckless suicidal thrill-seeking? this one conch fella had just a short distance from his boat a solid concrete storage structure. he maybe found out that his 2-bedroom, 2-head equipped scuba boat is gonna hafta be a write-off. :D

• JakeHolman changed the title to HURRICANE ZETA